Stihl bg86 leaf blower bogs how to remove limiters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
New 3 tanks through it bogs from idle to full throttle 1 out of 3 times warmed up. I believe the low jet needs richened up. How do you remove the limiters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same bog.. But it isn't that bothersome yet.. And I've not yet looked at it with all the plastic off.

Probably around 10 tanks through mine. It ran great at first. After a few tanks is when the big developed

Run 40-50:1 and regulary check spark arrestor for carbon...when blocked which don't take much they do funky things and won't run properly. Did you not just sart another exact same thread with same issues for a HS45?? See the pattern?? You just need to learn to tune....practice makes it easy.

The bg86 is bad about clogging the spark arrestor.even though mine clogged up and i removed it on both mine the bog is still there.limiters removed and carb rebuilt it still bogs no matter how its tuned.:angry: actually most of the time when i hit the trigger it just dies.in order to restart it i have to hold the trigger a bit and restart it half wide open.gets really really aggravating.

Run 40-50:1 and regulary check spark arrestor for carbon...when blocked which don't take much they do funky things and won't run properly. Did you not just sart another exact same thread with same issues for a HS45?? See the pattern?? You just need to learn to tune....practice makes it easy.

I've tuned lots of 2 cycles the hs45 already seems rich along with the primer bulb being stiff and a lot of complaints about the bad carbs on these models. The hs issue is odd it just started to start up normal again. The bg I know is running a bit lean on the low side but I'm already at the stop and would need to remove the limiter

I always thought the 55 ran better than the 56 and 86. Usually the ones that I send out start in 3-4 pulls from dry state and spool up nice once the air gets purged out. The 56 and 86 seem more reluctant to start and sometimes run ragged as hell and can't be tuned properly.

The other thing is when I try to run it consistent speed say 1/4 to half throttle it doesn't run smooth it goes up and down rpms. No bog though

Mine doesn't bog but runs really rich and 4 strokes hard for a minute or 2 until its hot then will run smooth

91 octane e free the only non e I can get in my area always used 93 before this came out. Seafoam. Echo or stihl oil.

Mine doesn't bog but runs really rich and 4 strokes hard for a minute or 2 until its hot then will run smooth
That's what I don't get so does mine 4 strokes like crazy warming up. Once warmed up runs a bit lean

91 octane e free the only non e I can get in my area always used 93 before this came out. Seafoam. Echo or stihl oil.

High enough I guess. They just come really lean due to EPA regulations. Try some high octane race fuel just for the hell of it and i bet it will run real good. You just have to richhen it a bit though.

I think you can snip the limiter part with a pair of side dikes.

My BG86 plugged the screen. I just removed it to be left out. I believe some of these are limited by coil so you have to tune it warmed up and turn the H screw out slightly until it four strokes and lean it a bit from there. I don't really notice a bog on mine but I also understand it is a blower and it has a blower fan to spool up so it won't be a like a chainsaw

Back