Stihl BR 600-Z Blower: service help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get a later model 600, with the hardened parts, run Ultra oil, and keep the valves adjusted, I doubt you'd ever have a problem with one of these. Or, you can buy a traditional 2-stroke Redmax or Shindaiwa and not have to worry about any of that:clap:

I know that doestn' help you Nik, but I don't know the answer to your question. You would have to completely remove the engine in order to visually inspect the cam, and followers. Then you'd have to remove the piston, and then the valves, in order to decarbon. Just more reasons not to own one of these.

If you get a later model 600, with the hardened parts, run Ultra oil, and keep the valves adjusted, I doubt you'd ever have a problem with one of these. Or, you can buy a traditional 2-stroke Redmax or Shindaiwa and not have to worry about any of that:clap:

I know that doestn' help you Nik, but I don't know the answer to your question. You would have to completely remove the engine in order to visually inspect the cam, and followers. Then you'd have to remove the piston, and then the valves, in order to decarbon. Just more reasons not to own one of these.

Actually the decarbonizer does a pretty dang good job, not spotless but cleans them enough.IMO

Id tell him to put in good mix and adjust the valves atleast every two seasons and he wont run into those problems.

while he's had it (he bought it used) it's only had either trufuel or non-ethanol 91 octane mixed with ultra @ 50:1 (by me). When he first got it a few weeks ago, Andre was of the opinion that it was very underpowered. I just thought Andre was spoiled by his Shindaiwa...

while he's had it (he bought it used) it's only had either trufuel or non-ethanol 91 octane mixed with ultra @ 50:1 (by me). When he first got it a few weeks ago, Andre was of the opinion that it was very underpowered. I just thought Andre was spoiled by his Shindaiwa...
The only other thing Ive found that causes carbon buildup is running at part throttle alot or on and off the throttle.

The only other thing Ive found that causes carbon buildup is running at part throttle alot or on and off the throttle.

He bought it used and I have no idea how the previous owner treated it. The outside appearance of a piece of OPE is not really a reliable way of telling whether it was maintained properly or not. It had one shroud screw missing, so the shroud had been off but I have no way of knowing if the valve cover was off or if the valves were ever adjusted.

You can use a Coke or beer can. Cut a thin strip the width of the rocker and valve. Adjustable to. 004, as most have said. Adjust down clockwise, til there is some resistance (light) before you pull it out of valve clearance. Do this for exhaust valve, than repeat for the intake valve. Re-assemble. Done.

If you use the decarbonizer make sure the piston is at the top and when both valves are open. Once you drain the fluid start it up. Don't let it sit for a day or two after draining the fluid or the valves will stick open. Also make sure to remove the screen in the muffler otherwise you'll be asking why it won't rev or have any power.

Latest posts

Back