ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Stihl Carb Adjustment Question

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by leeave96, Jan 23, 2009.

1. leeave96

leeave96 ArboristSite Operative

My trusty 034 needs a bit of carb adjustment and before I break out the screw driver, I need some refreshment on adjusting the carb.

Low speed screw: Adjust it until you have smooth acceleration when you mash the trigger - right?

High speed screw: Adjust for power, but not to lean as to destroy the engine - right? But how lean? Don't have a tach.

Idle screw: Adjust so the saw will idle low enough not to spin the chain - right?

BTW, the 034 runs great, but here lately when I get finished a hard cut or set the saw down, it will idle for a bit and abruptly quit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Bill

2. willsaw4beer

willsaw4beer Addicted to ArboristSite

The saw stalling out could be attributed to a few things. Hopefully it just needs a carb adjustment. The other possibility is an airleak- check the fuel lines, etc. or the crank seals could be shot. I normally turn my H & L adjustment screws all the way in, then turn them out a full turn and richen them from there. Tune the carb when the saw is warmed up.

*Also- the H should be adjusted so that there is a 'burble' at WOT. For the L, I find where it idles the fastest and richen from there; somewhere in the happy medium where it's not going to stall out and throttle response is good. You are correct on the idle screw adjustment.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. Fish

Fish Account Hold

Trying to adjust out a running problem will leave you with a nice box of parts.

You need to find out what is wrong, start at the carb and fuel system.