Stihl Carb Adjustment Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My trusty 034 needs a bit of carb adjustment and before I break out the screw driver, I need some refreshment on adjusting the carb.

Low speed screw: Adjust it until you have smooth acceleration when you mash the trigger - right?

High speed screw: Adjust for power, but not to lean as to destroy the engine - right? But how lean? Don't have a tach.

Idle screw: Adjust so the saw will idle low enough not to spin the chain - right?

BTW, the 034 runs great, but here lately when I get finished a hard cut or set the saw down, it will idle for a bit and abruptly quit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bill

The saw stalling out could be attributed to a few things. Hopefully it just needs a carb adjustment. The other possibility is an airleak- check the fuel lines, etc. or the crank seals could be shot. I normally turn my H & L adjustment screws all the way in, then turn them out a full turn and richen them from there. Tune the carb when the saw is warmed up.

*Also- the H should be adjusted so that there is a 'burble' at WOT. For the L, I find where it idles the fastest and richen from there; somewhere in the happy medium where it's not going to stall out and throttle response is good. You are correct on the idle screw adjustment.

Last edited:
Trying to adjust out a running problem will leave you with a nice box of parts.

You need to find out what is wrong, start at the carb and fuel system.

Back