Stihl Chains & File Sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been sawing for 25 years and I am still no pro at free hand filing! LOL! I guess I'll just keep using the old benchtop grinder on the 20" stuff! Just hate to waste so much valuable tooth material.
Thanks for the info though.

Don't know why you would say that, you have to remove the damaged
cutter to properly sharpen the chain, grinder or file.........

Having an arsenal of many file diameters is nice to properly sharpen chains,
as the proper file size differs from brand and chain model, pitch has little
to do with it.
When selling the customer a proper file, I like to have the chain in question
to properly gauge the correct angle that the file will produce on THAT chain.

With a grinder, the angle is determined by the side of the grinder wheel.

Also, the farther back the chain is sharpened, the lower/smaller the cutter=
file diameter is needed for proper sharpening.

Saying a 3/16 works on all .325 chains is silly, as well as 7/32 on all 3/8 chain.

The angles produced may be adequate for the guy filing, but not really correct.

The great thing about sharpening chain, is that even if you can barely
sharpen a decent chain, it is still better than most.

Watching what you are doing, and knowing what angles you are trying to create is very important. Most people don't even look at the cutter.......

attachment.php

Here is a chart I have posted many times in the past, the tilt is for Full Chisel

Ms 290 .325 26rmc3

Using the proper file guide for the Stihl, I don't quite comprehend the the 75 degree angle of the side cutter. Is this the "horizontal" angle that I push the file along the top cutter's 30 degree angle? If I was holding the file level with the top cutter, that would be easy. But pushing it thru in an upward thrust along the 30 degree angle kinda befuddles me.

If you are reffering to the 10 degree drop on the full chisel, the 15 degree
is to show you the radius of the hook you are shooting for, and the correct
file size is important, and it gives a sharper corner point.

In the Bailey's catalog, most of the .375 Oregon chain (yeah...it's actually .367) lists as using a 7/32 file. Is Stihl chain different? What am I going to lose if I stick with 7/32 files with the Stihl RSC chain I'll be running?

It is a little different, the front end of the cutter is not quite as high as on the Oregon counterparts - 7/32 will work, but there is a reason that Stihl specify 13/64.

I use 13/64 for the last part of the Oregon chain as well as on the Stihl ones.

The chain models I refer to here is Oregon LP/LG/LGX, and Stihl RSC.

Don't you want to drop to a smaller, not larger size when getting down to the last of the tooth? The new-tooth file size starts cutting into the drive link and tie straps when the tooth is at its last.

:agree2:

Last edited:
If you are reffering to the 10 degree drop on the full chisel, the 15 degree
is to show you the radius of the hook you are shooting for, and the correct
file size is important, and it gives a sharper corner point.

Maybe you answered my question by using the word "drop". This semi-chisel Stihl chain calls for a 75 degree (using the 3/16 recommended file) angle on the side plate. I guess you would call that a 25 degree "drop". As I see it that is something that one does "free hand" versus the markings on the file guide holder for the 30 degree top plate tooth.
Thanks for help.....oldballs

Latest posts

Back