Stihl Chainsaw for Stump Removal??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelite42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently took down a 70' gum tree on my property with my old MS170, but I have this awful stump that I need to get rid of quickly. This one in the photo is the largest, but I have a few more. I'm putting in an above ground pool during the off season because it is cheap, but I have these stumps in the way. I dont have time to burn it out, pool guy is coming next week. Sunbelt is the only place that rents stump grinders around here and they are a rip off, like $200/day. I called a professional stump grinding service and he wanted even more.

I am wondering if there are any techniques that you know of to use a chainsaw to grind a stump down rather than a stump grinder. As you can see from the photo, I starting cutting it into sections and I might start driving a wedge into the middle, but I am not really sure where to go from here? Has anyone else done this before. I buried the bar and chain into the center and not much happened. The only thing I found on the interwebz was a chainsaw powered stump grinder called the Alpine Magnum. Is there any way I can easily modify my MS170 to grind stumps like an Alpine Magnum or should I just use a specific technique?

http://imgur.com/a/T4aSH

Attachments

• stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 149
A stump is a stubborn thing, and they make those grinders for a reason. Any attachments you put on the saw will likely end up costing you as much as a rental.

If you have lots of time you can get it out with a lot of digging, cutting, burning, etc. but it will put a lot of wear on your tools (and you). It's some of the most back breaking work out there.

If you absolutely must have it gone in a week, then a grinder is the way to go. If you have a friend network, you may find someone willing to cut you a deal, or even a barter.

Your 170 will hate you if you put a stump grinder attachment on it. A stump grinder will take that stump down in less than half an hour so figure 20 minutes per stump 200 isn't bad.

You got neighbors so I wouldn't recommend the old Alaskan, Blackpowder Blowout method :D

I'd just grab the stumpgrinder for a day if you gotta meet deadlines. Only other thing I'd recommend is an electric 11amp+ Remington chainsaw with about 3 throwaway semi-chisel chains and a sprinkler shovel (the 2ft long, ~4" thin TrueTemper), along with a truck with towchains. But be prepared to work your ass off.

A Stihl Durochain is gonna cost you ~$60 and you gotta figure in a new bar as well after the sprocket clogs, so that's basically $40 away from renting the stumper for a day.

Your gonna kill your saw and still have to rent the stump grinder. Use the right tool for the right job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gonna kill your saw and still have to rent the stump grinder. Use the right tool for the right job.

He took down a 70' gum with it, that saw has super powers!!!

What I do when I want the stump out is to take the tree down to its main trunk about 20' and then dig around and sever all the roots and pull it in the direction I want it to go and down she goes. Unfortunately its too late for that process at this point. $200 stump grinder is the only way to make your dead line.

save ya $200 go get your axe shovel start digging trench around that stump expose all roots chop them find ya crow bar and out she'll come,, should take about 40 minutes or deep purple machine head both sides if ya listen to space trunkin twice,,, git going...

Or get a big saw with a stump grinder attachment like an 066 or 395xp or even a sp125 and then CAD will get to you.

Latest posts

Back