Stihl Chainsaw for Stump Removal??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your creative enough and have all the time in the world you can make a stump grinder out of anything, it just may take 30 years to grind the stump. Just rent the grinder and don't be penny wise, dollar foolish

You can also buy one of those hand operated stump grinders online, looks kinda like a garden tiller only with a circular blade on front. I hear they're kinda hard on the operator though. Still slower than the big grinders but if you're retired and have plenty of time why not?

So the pool guys coming this week to install your pool what is your solution to remove these stumps? If you get a backhoe you be able to pull the stumps and the extended roots that are gonna be under the pool also. I don't know any pool guy around me who would want to put an above ground pool over that area.

I recently took down a 70' gum tree on my property with my old MS170, but I have this awful stump that I need to get rid of quickly. This one in the photo is the largest, but I have a few more. I'm putting in an above ground pool during the off season because it is cheap, but I have these stumps in the way. I dont have time to burn it out, pool guy is coming next week. Sunbelt is the only place that rents stump grinders around here and they are a rip off, like $200/day. I called a professional stump grinding service and he wanted even more.

I am wondering if there are any techniques that you know of to use a chainsaw to grind a stump down rather than a stump grinder. As you can see from the photo, I starting cutting it into sections and I might start driving a wedge into the middle, but I am not really sure where to go from here? Has anyone else done this before. I buried the bar and chain into the center and not much happened. The only thing I found on the interwebz was a chainsaw powered stump grinder called the Alpine Magnum. Is there any way I can easily modify my MS170 to grind stumps like an Alpine Magnum or should I just use a specific technique?

http://imgur.com/a/T4aSH

Dig it up completely, or you will be replacing the liner, when you poke a hole in said liner, down the road.

You make a good argument. sunbelt it is.

You got neighbors so I wouldn't recommend the old Alaskan, Blackpowder Blowout method :D

I'd just grab the stumpgrinder for a day if you gotta meet deadlines. Only other thing I'd recommend is an electric 11amp+ Remington chainsaw with about 3 throwaway semi-chisel chains and a sprinkler shovel (the 2ft long, ~4" thin TrueTemper), along with a truck with towchains. But be prepared to work your ass off.

A Stihl Durochain is gonna cost you ~$60 and you gotta figure in a new bar as well after the sprocket clogs, so that's basically $40 away from renting the stumper for a day.

So the pool guys coming this week to install your pool what is your solution to remove these stumps? If you get a backhoe you be able to pull the stumps and the extended roots that are gonna be under the pool also. I don't know any pool guy around me who would want to put an above ground pool over that area.
Did you not read any of this earlier?

Back