Stihl Chainsaw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas Johann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First of all, I’m glad to be a part of this site. I have been browsing and doing searches and have had a lot of my questions answered.

As the title suggests, I am in the market to purchase a new saw. Stihl has the best dealers and service in my area so I will be going with that brand. I heat with wood and need a saw to take care of my firewood needs. I live in a heavily wooded area and can usually get access to free butt ends from the local loggers.

I want a saw that has all the power I will ever need. I have used the Farm Boss saws for all the cutting I have ever done but it has its shortcomings. I plan to run a 20” bar or a 25” bar. I would most likely keep the 25” on the saw most of the time. I am left handed and it seems the wrap handle would be best suited for me (I have used saws with the standard handle for 15 years but if I am spending the money it might as well be the most comfortable it can be).

I am between the MS 362 R C-M and the MS 461 R. My goal is to purchase a saw that will last me for many years to come without any major repairs. I understand the tradeoff of power and weight between the two. The electronics on the 362 doesn’t scare me as I haven’t heard anything too bad about it. I do not need to purchase the saw at this exact moment and will wait if Stihl is releasing something that will be better than either of these two saws. Does anyone have some insight on any new pro saws in the 60-70cc range that may be coming out?

Sorry for the long winded post. I didn’t want it to be another “which saw should I buy?” post without putting in all the details.

The 362 will pull a 25 but not happy about it. The 46 series best for 25 or 28. I keep 20" on my 362 and 20 and 25 on 046. Sharp chain, good gas and oil. Recommend a lightweight bar

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

What type and diameter of wood will you be cutting? I have a 361 that pulls a 25" bar just fine in good sized (20" +)Doug fir but I doubt it would do the same in oak.

A lot of people say "buy more saw than you need." I'm not sure how much time they spend running a saw in a day but I'm fairly worn out after a full day running the 361. I personally wouldn't want any more saw than the job required.

Definitely the 461, but with a 28" ES Light bar. When you get the "R" package it come with the larger felling spikes which shortens your usable bar length.

I'll be the odd man out. My big saw is an 036 (similar to 362). I usually run a 16" but use a 20" on larger wood. I will admit I've never run a 461 but the 036 seems to handle all I need for a firewood scrounger. Prior to that was a Jonsereds 49SP (50 cc). I've cut my share of 30" + oak. If I was making a living at it maybe a larger saw. For firewood I'm happy with what I've got.

I'm a fan of bigger is better but rarely get to use my big heavy saws fully buried in wood. It's nice to have them when needed but usually grab my lightest saw that has the right size bar for the job. I guess it comes down to how much wood do you cut a year, how long do you run the saw on your day off or free time and what kind of wood and how big are the normal butt ends you get?

Another odd man here - if you are looking at light weight 20" bars you should be looking at the lightest saw that will do the job. I would ditch the bigger is better pitches though I just posted to another to consider a 123cc saw in keeping with my belief that there is a balance of many factors - are you falling trees? What are you cutting? How much and how long? How old/ strong are you? How big is your budget? Etc. Etc.

Ron

Get with Ford150 Total lightweight made by Tsumura about 75 plus ride. Redbull has done extensive testing of bars.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Or a Stihl. They make a 20" light bar now. Or, you can save a bit of coin and just buy a 20 Rollomatic E bar. It's laminated and a decent amount lighter than the ES. That's what's on my 036.

To the OP: get the 461. I've got an 036, which would run with a 362. For running a 20-25", I use my 460. It makes my job more funner.

Another odd man here - if you are looking at light weight 20" bars you should be looking at the lightest saw that will do the job. I would ditch the bigger is better pitches though I just posted to another to consider a 123cc saw in keeping with my belief that there is a balance of many factors - are you falling trees? What are you cutting? How much and how long? How old/ strong are you? How big is your budget? Etc. Etc.

Ron
Was this whole thing aimed at me because I asked who makes 20" lightweight bars? I was just asking because I didn't think they made them that small. I don't see the point because I'm young and strong and like the balance of a normal 20" bar. Cr888 was the guy who recommended a 461 with a 20" lightweight bar. Not bashing you Cr888. I don't plan on a lightweight bar unless its long and helps balance and needed wieght reduction. I don't think you helped our new member at all with your post. Maybe you drank more than me last night. Ron, what saws and bar combos do you run?

I grab the smallest saw that is practical for the job at hand, though i have 40,50,60,70, and 80 cc classes pretty well covered. My one saw plan would be 70cc's with a 20" and 24" bar. If u need to buy new id go with the 461, though there are lots of good used saws available from good members on here.

What type and diameter of wood will you be cutting? I have a 361 that pulls a 25" bar just fine in good sized (20" +)Doug fir but I doubt it would do the same in oak.

A lot of people say "buy more saw than you need." I'm not sure how much time they spend running a saw in a day but I'm fairly worn out after a full day running the 361. I personally wouldn't want any more saw than the job required.
You are spot on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Was this whole thing aimed at me because I asked who makes 20" lightweight bars? I was just asking because I didn't think they made them that small. I don't see the point because I'm young and strong and like the balance of a normal 20" bar. Cr888 was the guy who recommended a 461 with a 20" lightweight bar. Not bashing you Cr888. I don't plan on a lightweight bar unless its long and helps balance and needed wieght reduction. I don't think you helped our new member at all with your post. Maybe you drank more than me last night. Ron, what saws and bar combos do you run?

I was aiming at your post as I mistakenly thought it was the OP's. Thanks for asking so I can put it in context.

As to my saws, my cutting has changed over the years, but typically most of my bucking is done with a 60ish cc Stihl. Previously a stock 036Pro and now a MS361 with a work port job by Terry Landrum. 20" bar on the 361. About half the life of the 036 with a 20" and half with a 25". With the decline in our oaks, I progressively had more and more trees in the 24" to 30" range to fall. 036 wasn't fast enough in the falling cut for me much less would it pull a longer bar. My old 70 cc Mac with a 28" bar wasn't much better. I couldn't decide between a new MS440 and a new MS460 or then justify the cost - ended up with a membership here where I learned that I could repair a saw and buying used could be okay which lead to CAD which led to a couple used MS362s (one with a 20" and one with a 25"), a bunch of old 82ccs MACs before they got so popular and expensive (bars from 20" to 33"), several Mac 125s (bars from 33" to 50" all with .404 chains) and the 361. Looking back I wonder now why I sweated over the price of a new 440 or 460 as all those used saws add up.

With what I cut today if I stuck with modern saws, I would keep the modified 361 with a 20" and buy a new 461 with a 25" and a 32". I would also leave falling any tree over 30" to someone else.

CR888 has some real hard wood to cut downunder so I don't doubt he needs the extra ponies. I agree with his buy once, buy right - just got to figure out the "right" part which I believe we agree is what the OP is trying to do. I also agree with you on balance which is why my favorite 82cc wears a 24" (soon to be converted to a Stihl 25" with a .404 chain) and my favorite 123cc wears a converted Mac 10 series 33" bar.

What do you run on those big Homies?

Ron

I'm not the biggest Stihl fan, but I really like how the 461 feels and revs (like a small 385). If'n it weren't more than double my budget, I'd get a 461 in a hurry.

Maybe we could go halves on that 461. You get it when its is 60 degrees or above here and I get it when it is less than 60 degrees here. Since mdavlee is between us we can contract with him for fresh chains. Ron

Back