ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Stihl Contra/Lightning on ebay

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by nicklt040, Mar 11, 2008.

1. nicklt040

nicklt040 ArboristSite Operative

2. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

I've been watching it for several days now. I'm all bought out for now though.

3. Four Paws

Four Paws Addicted to ArboristSite

Come on Brad...that would be a nice one for you to build another shelf for.

4. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

It would need a whole shelf to itself wouldn't it. Probably deserves it too.

5. nicklt040

nicklt040 ArboristSite Operative

what would be the most you would pay for it? I woul dlike to have a saw taht big. Its a real relic too.

6. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

Bill G and Hoss seem to be the big saw guys around here. Maybe they can give their input.

7. hoss

hoss Addicted to ArboristSite

Well, the Contra/Lightning is probably the more collectable of the two, but unless it is a Contra S (the most rare) then the 090 is much bigger (137cc 13hp vs 106cc 7hp "rated") and almost as collectable. I use all my stuff in a rotation so I prefer the 090 myself. I had a contra that ran good but was missing the top cover. I tried it with a 32" .404 bar and though it was strong (read torquey), it was no 090. I ended up pirating a few small parts from it to finish my first 090, later I gave the Contra to Thall, who wants to restore it to iy's original glory. I believe that there is no stock saw that will pull a long (50"+) bar through big hardwood like the 090 and I own most of the big famous stuff you hear about.

8. Bill G

Bill G Addicted to ArboristSite

All the large saws are nice. Among the hundreds of saws here there is quite a few large ones, (Stihl 090's 090G's Contra's), (Mac 125),Homelite 2100's, 3100G's 750's) and numerous large 2 mans.

Bill

9. Bill G

Bill G Addicted to ArboristSite

If you put the Contra S jug and piston on the Contra it will come alive. I think somewhere on AS is a picture I took awhile back of a few I have.

Bill

10. hoss

hoss Addicted to ArboristSite

Hey Bill, you don't happen to have an extra 090g gear box lyin around that you'd be willing to part with do ya? I don't have a 2100super or 3100 homelite yet, but am on the prowl. As I understand it the 2100 super is a REAL strong saw. I just got all the parts i need to rebuild a 9-23. man 100cc big-ol domed piston and a big reed cage sorta makes it easy to believe the 9hp claim. With the new rings the compression is very strong. I still gotta replace a reed that had a hole in it, then I can reassemble and play. I put a .404 rim drive from a C-51 on so I can use a modern sprocket tip bar and common chain.