Stihl Cylinder+Piston Kits on eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just scored one of these cylinder and piston kits on eBay for my Stihl 024. I gotthe saw free a couple years ago and it never ran right and finally stuck a piston (leaking impulse hose). So I fixed it using the old piston with a new ring, rebuilt the carb, new rubber parts, gaskets, etc.

Now the saw starts and runs perfectly and I like it a LOT for limbing poles and doing construction cutting. But it does smoke on startup and doesn't have all the power I think it should have. So when I spotted these Stihl cylinder and piston kits on eBay for $50 I snapped one up. Hope it fits okay.

Anyone buys one of these kits? There are a lot of them offered on eBay. I assume they are aftermarket items and not Stihl made. Correct?

What I can't figure out is this. The piston does NOT come with a piston pin! I never heard of such a thing. Every new piston I have ever seen or bought includes a new matching pin. But these do not. Being the cheapskate that I am, I would like to just drop the old pin and bearing in, but I know I should get new ones and probably will.

OTOH, if the old pin doesn't show any wear, what is the harm of using it?

I buy them all the time. All I have bought are made by the same company that makes the O.E.M. cylinders, Mahlle. Stihl doesnt make their own cylinders.

With the savings of the piston/cylinder combo, go ahead and buy a pin and bearing from your dealer. The small cost of those two items is worth eliminating any problems in the future.

I just put one of those 024's together awhile back, with that very same kit. It runs sweet! :blob2:

Originally posted by mboln52000
I buy them all the time. All I have bought are made by the same company that makes the O.E.M. cylinders, Mahlle. Stihl doesnt make their own cylinders.

With the savings of the piston/cylinder combo, go ahead and buy a pin and bearing from your dealer. The small cost of those two items is worth eliminating any problems in the future.

I just put one of those 024's together awhile back, with that very same kit. It runs sweet! :blob2:

Of course you are right.

What do you usually pay for the pin and bearing at your favorite Stihl dealer?

Stihl makes alot of their piston and cylinders now.

My 024 could use some freshening up. Do you know if a 026 pist/jug fits 024?

If the link to ebay is still alive, could you send it? Thanks,

Oddly enough Redmax doesn't offer piston and cylinder kits.
Just bought a piston for my G561AVS. Had to order piston,wrist pin,wrist pin bearing, spiral locks and 2 rings separately. They sell the rings 1 at a time,We found that out when only 1 ring was shipped from the distributor.

Originally posted by 046
My 024 could use some freshening up. Do you know if a 026 pist/jug fits 024?

If the link to ebay is still alive, could you send it? Thanks,

I don't know if the 026 will fit an 024 and wondered that myself but then an 024 kit popped up. On eBay type in "Stihl cylinder piston" and all the available kits should appear.

A while back the guy who offers these kits didn't have any 024 kits but apparently got more. You might email him and ask. They are "Buy it Now" items for $49.99.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

026 kit on an 024 ?

This doesn't work although close, the 026 has 2mm more stroke and therefore the 026 cylinder and piston won't work on a 024. Also if you could the 026 has cooling fins on the top of the cylinder and the 024 orange plastic hood won't fit on.

Thanks for confirming 026 cyl/pist will not fit on 024. I'll have to wait for an 024 kit to popup. I'm in no hurry.

I need to pay for a new saddle first.

Originally posted by max2cam
Of course you are right.

What do you usually pay for the pin and bearing at your favorite Stihl dealer?

I think I paid $22 for the last pin and then another $8.00 for a small end bearing, if I remember right. Could be a couple dollars off, but thats close.

I think I paid $22 for the last pin and then another $8.00 for a small end bearing, if I remember right. Could be a couple dollars off, but thats close.

Thanks. Even with that stuff and a base gasket added in, it's still a good deal. I find myself using that 024 a lot as it is a touch lighter and/or well-balanced. Real handy cutting down and limbing balsam fir poles which I am now busy peeling and dragging out of the woods. They look real pretty with a pale yellow fresh peeled color.

http://www.atthecreation.com/

Latest posts

Back