Stihl Dealer Backorders?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently ordered a special tool from my local Stihl dealer. Unfortunately it arrived missing pieces. The dealer filed a warranty claim to replace the missing pieces. That was nearly 4 weeks ago.

I have spoken with the dealer several times since then and he claims that he has no visibility into Stihl backorders and that backorders arrive when they get here.

Does this sound realistic or am I getting the run-around?

Thanks,
Steve

Sounds like he wants to get rid of a shop tool that was missing pieces, and he is trying to just order the missing parts,
which may take forever. What is the tool's part number?

Sounds like he wants to get rid of a shop tool that was missing pieces, and he is trying to just order the missing parts,
which may take forever. What is the tool's part number?
No, this was actually a new unit and came in a box from Stihl. The tool is the seal puller. It came with a mis-matched set of jaws on the puller along with the other matched sets. So I ended up with 3 of one jaw and 1 of another instead of 2 + 2.

Did they give you your money back?

I haven't asked yet and they haven't offered but it may come to this. I just want to have all of the correct pieces with the tool that I bought.

What really bugs me is that the missing jaw set is the one that I need!

Id go ask my local stihler about backorders, but theyre garbage. Asked for an 028 air filter the other day, got out a stens filter and wanted $32 for it. No thanks.

Id go ask my local stihler about backorders, but theyre garbage. Asked for an 028 air filter the other day, got out a stens filter and wanted $32 for it. No thanks.
With this same dealer I went to buy some recoil rope. I asked for 3.5mm which is what t he Stihl IPL calls for. Got home the rope was way too small. Went back to dealer and it turns out that he was selling Oregon rope! I walk into a Stihl dealer and would expect genuine Stihl parts... Not today! Finally ended up with Oregon 4.0mm which actually measured 3.1mm. The next step up was Oregon 4.5mm which probably would have been close to correct. I would rather have it a little small than take a chance of splitting or overfilling the pulley.

Any other dealers care to comment or suggest a way to light a fire under Stihl?

The answer is simple you need a new dealer. The dealer can go to his or her online portal and see if a part is in stock BEFORE they order it. We stock an aftermarket recoil rope for quick cut saws only. it has a kevlar blend that lasts a long time as well as some generic for lawnmowers but the saws get the stihl rope. Why take the chance? Now saying this I am in Canada so things might be different. If we tried that sorta monkey business they would pull or dealership.

Finding another local dealer may not be as easy as it sounds. I'm not a Stihl user, but the closest Stihl dealer is 25 miles away in one direction and 50 miles away in the other. After that it is probably double to the next one.
I like to support local business when I can but when they jack me around I have no qualms with going on line to order parts and tools. Maybe I've been lucky, but I have found a couple of places ( not Stihl) that sell for my brand of equipment that I have quite a bit of confidence they will get it right the first time or make sure it gets right in a timely manner if there is an issue. And often I would have to wait as long or longer for the local dealer to get the parts anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back