Stihl elastostart fitting to older 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwpowere36m3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to fit an elastostart to my dad's 034 AV (~ 1987, west german). I was under the impression that it was P/N: 1128 190 3400 (rubber elastic, 3.5 mm), but the dealer gave me 0000 190 3402 (spring-loaded, 3 mm).

The 0000 190 3402 handle looks right, just thinner cord. Does the base of the starter handle on the 1128 190 3400 have that "d-shape" that'll fit into the recess in the starter cover. There is also 0000 190 3401 (similar to 3402, but 3.5 mm), superseded?

The regular handles are better. I've had to replaced many of those elasto-starts. The rubber rips apart with a high compression saw or just from a few years of use.

Thought it be a nice upgrade for his old saw (no decomp)... granted the "regular" starter/cord has held for 30 yrs of home use.

I've taken them off my saws. My ported 360 I have to use the decomp, it keeps breaking recoil parts otherwise. The elsasostart lsated less than a week.

I put one on my 910 jonsered. I have not used it much since. But it has not broken yet. I don't think I would do it again because I don't think it helped all that much.

I don't like the elastostart handles, I think they give a sloppy pull. When I'm starting a high compression saw I want a nice smooth, crisp pull of the cord. I don't seem to get that with an elastostart handle. German over engineering at its best. Just like the flip caps...a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The elastostart hurts just as bad when they rip through your fingers.

Appreciate your opinions, but I'd still like an answer to fitment.

Personally I have no issues with Stihl flippy caps... honestly the older threaded caps I always needed a scrench to tighten and remove. Flippy cap = toolless and convenient (my home gamer experience)

I don't see why it wouldn't fit. If it doesn't quite sit in the cup squarely just put a couple more turns on the spool spring to snug it up so it doesn't flop over.

The flippy caps are fine until you have one come open on you and dump oil or fuel all over your chaps or pant leg. Or it breaks in the cold weather.

I have retrofitted the elstostart on many saws and the it was fine, there were a few times it did not sit squarely in the cup but the ease of starting was the trade off. Much like the flippy caps one must be smarter than the cap or the cord. I worked the ice storm some years back and oddly at -30C we did not have a single flippy cap break. I did give the lads instruction on how they did operate. Yes I was tempered to bring a 5 year old to demonstrate them but that would be child endangerment :D

Now saying all this I do not have a ported saw, I live in the real world. None of my professional customers have one either so I can only comment on real world situations. Harry Homeowner does not have one and usually will buy whatever I tell them, Pensioner Peter has run a saw for 50 years and just needs a easier way to start the saw with less force in his higher mileage body and Paul the Professional just wants the saw to start, cut wood and count the loonies in his pocket. Oddly Harry, Peter and Paul have mastered the flippy cap.. I think Harry have grandkidd.. just saying...:eek:

It's a fuel/oil cap and pull handle, how smart do you have to be? I guess my IQ isn't high enough to operate those fancy Stihls. I know exactly how to use the flip caps and have had them come open on me two or three times. Sometimes they feel like they are secure and they really aren't. Stupid design.

About half of the customers I have come in who are Stihl owners and looking at a new saw say they hate those caps. We sell replacements frequently because they break easily. And they aren't cheap...

Sorry to derail your thread. Throw a $15 elastostart on there and let 'er rip.

Latest posts

Back