Stihl file guide (old)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with it? Found it on ebay tonight going cheap. I hate sharpening chains and I don't do enough to become any good at hand filing, so I thought I'd give this a try.

file%20guide.jpg

What is it , Stihl FG2?
If it is/was cheap good for You.
Give it a try , will require some getting used to though!

I have two filing guides similar to that one.
One is a Oregon and the other a no-name that came bundled with an supermarket electric chainsaw.
I got them both for free a long time ago.
Mine are quite flimsy , but they are great to equalize the length and angle of all cutters both sides.
I also sometimes use it to trim the rakers.
I still prefer free hand filing , but I use a guide whenever I notice my chains start cutting in a curve.

I also have a chain grinder , but I use it even less often then the guides.

No idea, the picture is all I have to go off for now. Seller states new and unused in box though.

Googled a few pictures and it looks more like an FG1, but not quite the same as those I've seen. Guess I'll find out when it arrives

Looks a lot better made than my granberg one that apperars to be cast on the side off a road from a little china man breathing fumes with a pot full of mixed melted alloys he found searching through waste computer parts!!lol But they work well and the beauty in the product is in its initial design rather than the quality af materials. First simple chain device that catered for every angle, allowing the user every possible filing angle.

Looks like an up graded Granberg that I have that's 30 years old and still going. Once mounted and set correctly, they do a good job. Use mine in the field only. Sharpen at home on a bench model most of the time.

Steve

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've found that keeping the rod that goes through the bushing makes the thing a lot easier to use.

Latest posts

Back