Stihl FS 130 brushcuter ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StubornDutchman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last week I purchased a new FS 130 which has the 4mix engine. The dealer took it into the back and set it up while I waited. The next day when I first started using it, it ran great, smooth all the way to WOT under load. After only a few minutes use it started acting up, missing at WOT but smooth up to about 3/4 throttle.

At first, I thought it might be an imbalance issue so I swapped out the string trimmer head for the chisel blade. No difference. I pulled the plug to check for fouling but it was a nice chocolate brown color. Since it runs fine at up to 3/4 throttle, I've continued to use it. The dealer is a 45 minute drive each way and I don't want the dealer keeping it and me loosing all this great fall weather to get some clearing done. I'm on vacation.

Anyway I picked up a plug at a local shop, but that didn't help. The original plug was now slightly sooted up. The local guy said it sounded like it was running too lean. That got me worried so I checked the high speed screw. It was already set to max open.

BTW: my original mix was about two months old. I run 93 octane, one ounce of Stabil, and 6.5 oz. of QuakerState 2 cycle oil. I made up a fresh batch and ran two more tank fulls thru it with no change.

This thing has tons of power, enough to cut thru some 2" saplings with no problem. I'd swear it has a ref limiter on it. Could it be a coil issue?

I'd appreciate any input you can offer. I will take it back to the dealer next week. Just too much going on now.

STOP Using That Fuel!!!!!

I wouldn't run those 4-mix engines on anyting but Stihl Ultra or some other clean burning 100% synthetic such as Redline.

Do you mix 6.5oz of 2-stroke oil to one gallon of gas? That's a 20/1 ratio. WAY too thick for that engine. Running that thick will make the engine run MUCH leaner. Remember that rich/lean refers to the mixture of gasoline/oxygen......NOT gasoline/oil.

A thicker 2-stroke mix means less gasoline (by volume) in a given volume of fuel. It also makes the fuel more viscus.....and that means it flows slower through the metering orifices. That leans things out even further.

A gas/oil mix that thick will also carbon up the crap outa the valves, piston head, spark arrestor screen, and combustion chamber. DO NOT run any more of that mix in that machine. Mix up some fresh gas with Stihl Ultra or Redliine at 50/1 (2.6oz/gallon). Get a "Ratio Rite" or other mix measuring device, or buy the 2.6oz bottles of Ultra from your dealer to mix with one gallon (or the 5.2oz bottles for 2 gallons of mix, or the 6.5oz bottle for 2.5 gallons). Your manual should state the 50/1 mixture with Ultra....

Your machine was probably running great while it was burning off the remaining fuel from your dealer (the correct ratio, with Ultra I'm sure). Once the carb and lines were clear of that fuel and your mix got in there, THAT'S when it started running like crap I'll wager...

That engine does have a rev limiter too.......although it's not cutting in as early as you may think. Those little four stroke engines sound much 'slower' than they're actualy turning (compared to a 2-stroke of the same size) because they only have one exaust pulse for every two engine revolutions. It's deceptive. I ran into the same thing myself the first time I ran a four stroke Ryobi weedwhip back in 1994 or so...

Last edited:
Take it back to the dealer.

He will get things sorted out for you.

Always run fresh Mix 1 month old or less. Especially here in Michigan with the nasty ethanol and condensation/moisture issues.

Run Stihl Ultra and nothing else is the mix.
No other additives are needed and actually might mess things up.
Ultra has the stabilizer in it, and is optimized for the 4Mix, and burns as clean as they come.

Your dealer should have clued you in.

Hopefully, that quaker state oil is rated and accepted by Stihls warranty.

Good luck!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the responses.

I was near another Stihl dealer today and picked up a small bottle of Stihl Ultra and mixed it with some 93 octane. I managed to run one tank thru the trimmer before it got too dark to see. I didn't notice any difference in the miss.

Today's dealer thinks it's just the rev limiter kicking in because I'm not putting enough load on it. I admit I'm still timid in it's use and it goes thru nasty stuff so easily. It sure is a pain trying to keep the revs down and keep swinging efficiently. BTW: I can't dance either. Next week I will take it back to my dealer and have it double checked and get some operating tips.

Also, the Quaker State I use in my saws is rated: JASO FA & FBL API TC.

Take it back to the dealer.

He will get things sorted out for you.

Always run fresh Mix 1 month old or less. Especially here in Michigan with the nasty ethanol and condensation/moisture issues.

Run Stihl Ultra and nothing else is the mix.
No other additives are needed and actually might mess things up.
Ultra has the stabilizer in it, and is optimized for the 4Mix, and burns as clean as they come.

Your dealer should have clued you in.

Hopefully, that quaker state oil is rated and accepted by Stihls warranty.

Good luck!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well, I finally made it back to the selling dealer this week. The tech took it into the back and did a minor carb adjustment. He stated that what I experienced was normal operation and that they have had several folks in with the same concern. I'm not crazy about the feel, but they said run it WOT and let the rev limiter do its thing. I guess I need to work it harder and get more done.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Good deal. Keep us updated. I'll be picking up a new FS110 or FS130 next spring, unless I score a good deal on a lightly used FS250. Just missed one on the local CL a while ago...

We run wp synthetic in the 4 mixes at work and they run great. Don't run #### oil and don't mix richer than 45 to 1 on a regular basis or you'll trash your $400 unit. Run it full throttle. The 130r at work had an issue with the gas line coming unplugged from the tank when we got it, 5 min fix back at the dealer.
I hack the guards so a longer string length is possible although this probably voids the warranty even though it doesn't hurt the unit. The stock string length is way too short for a 130 and especially a 250, the ones at work have more than 500 hrs ea and the clutches are still good.

So far, I prefer the shredder blade I got from Bailey's. It's the flat one with the ears that hang down about two inches or so. Now that I know it is OK to run full throttle, I'm working it harder and getting used to the feel.

With all the power this 130 kicks out, I can't imagine running one of those 250's or bigger units. Too much for this old fart!

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Jump in your thread as just got off my new GX25 Honda brushcutter 4 stroka 25cc. I'm very happy with it picked it up today and sorted my 2 acres plus here. Its done 2 tank's n 2 lots a cord and no issue at all. Lighter than you expect heaps of grunt for domestic, enough for rural grass and nice n quiet. And I'm a stihl saw man shh don't tell Andreas, Mr Stihl eh.

FS110 using the Stihl Ultra mix @ 50-1 (2.6 oz to 1 gallon of 89+ gas ).
Also: always run at WOT, never less when cutting with any of the blades.
Watch that kickback with the wood cutting blade ! Clean the filter and exhaust screen.

My FS110 has an easy +50 tanks through it in 2 years now with NO problems.
Excellent tool.

I've got what seems to be a similar issue. I picked this one up from a friend of mine who was down sizing. It runs but the idle seems funky, granted this is my first 4mix. It vibrates alot at idle and will jump around on the ground. Nomal? Also at WOT it seems its hitting a rev limiter or missing. And sometimes a sluggish accel but not all the time. I've got the idle adjusted so it won't spin the head and the H and L are 3/4 out. It has those plastic caps on the carb screws so you basically can't turn anymore out.

Needs a throttle cable since the one is fraying. I put on a new filter and regapped the plug. Plug condition seemed ok. I haven't checked the valve lash as I don't have a .004 but the pull wasn't excessive or hard. Any other things to check? Put a new autocut 25-2 on as the bump was wore out on the other and the cover was gone.

Latest posts

Back