Stihl Light Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No burning trees this year. Just green ones, and then boards for building.

This bar has an aluminum insert on only one side. I am not sure if they have large mount.

The 390 Husky is a good saw as long as it does not break down, it is not near as reliable as a 660 though. I have been using 460s, if I need anything bigger, I bust out the 880.

I never had a problem one with the 372s, but the 390s, were headaches.

Bookerdog, I wear that orange thong year round, but backwards. I am a SF Giants as well as a guy who runs Stihls so the orange serves more than one purpose.

But then you run an 880!

Does any one have any numbers on actual weights?
I forget what that thread was where someone actually weighed a regular bar and a reduced bar.

32" oregon rw was 3 lb 5 oz. 32" stihl ES was 4 lb 10 oz or so. It maxed out the kitchen scale. 28" oregon was 2 lb 13 oz. Oregon 28" was 3 lb 13 oz. All of these were on a kitchen scale.

Is this old news or new to you guys, I have not been on in awhile. It is 3oz (32in) lighter than the Oregon Reduced Weight bar, much sturdier and the tips last much longer.
BTW, I got rid of all those damn Huskies!

What the heck man!! No huskies!

That's all the local guys around here use, lots of 390's. Sucks that they were breaking on ya!

I would almost run one on the huskys if it is sturdier and weighs less. I'll check with the dealer close to me and see what they say about them.

32" oregon rw was 3 lb 5 oz. 32" stihl ES was 4 lb 10 oz or so. It maxed out the kitchen scale. 28" oregon was 2 lb 13 oz. Oregon 28" was 3 lb 13 oz. All of these were on a kitchen scale.

Thank you!!
Somebody rep that man 'cuz I've got to spread it around.

So for a 28" bar I'm looking at 16.5 plus 2lb 13 oz = 19lb 5oz versus 20lb 5oz, or about a 5% difference.

/edit - not counting chain, fuel, oil, dirt
And of course my Alaskan Mark III which weighs 15.5lb, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I know the 390 with full wrap full of fuel and oil with the 32" oregon rw and semi skip .063 oregon chain weighed 25 lbs on my scales. I don't have a 660 available to weigh with that bar.

Late model 066 with Stihl ES 24" 3/8 .063 BC 22 lbs 4.0 oz

attachment.php

TT

Thank you!!
Somebody rep that man 'cuz I've got to spread it around.

So for a 28" bar I'm looking at 16.5 plus 2lb 13 oz = 19lb 5oz versus 20lb 5oz, or about a 5% difference.

The difference will often feel like more than it is, as that difference is up front

For me the RW bars aren't attractive for weight savings per se, but because I can get a better balance between saw and a longer bar if it's some sort of RW bar. My 32-inch Sugi falls between the Oregon RW and Stihl ES in weight, and balances really nicely on my 660 (thanks again for that 660, slingr).

If I went with a 36 inch bar on the 660, I'd probably fork out the cash for one of the new Stihl bars to maintain as good a balance as possible.

I ordered my bar today in Michigan, sorry no part number to share. I called dealer told him I wanted one. I think the price was $134 but not sure. I currently have RW's in 28" .50 and 36" .63. New Stihl bar is 28" .50. I will report when it gets here.

I ordered my bar today in Michigan, sorry no part number to share. I called dealer told him I wanted one. I think the price was $134 but not sure. I currently have RW's in 28" .50 and 36" .63. New Stihl bar is 28" .50. I will report when it gets here.

and pics? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back