• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl made 1/2" chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Are you going to reuse some of the links now, as suggested by Bill?

I also noticed that I missed out on some really nice 1/2" chains on ebay a couple of month ago. They even included two packs of the presets! I wish I had been more observant, have been looking for 1/2" for a while now and I have no idea why I missed it.

I bought a bunch of 1/2" Oregon pre-set kits off of eBay, a while back, that I don't really need.
I would be happy to pass some on, to recover costs, or trade them for some 'cool' stuff of current interest: sections of scratcher chain, sections of 1/2" pitch chain, roller noses, other pre-sets, etc.

Send me a PM if interested.

Philbert

half inch presets.jpg

Bill, can you tell us what is the proper way to reuse original links? I tried to search for this topic but I could not find a more detailed explanation other than that one needs to punch out the rivets slowly and evenly.

Do I use a hammer and punch for this? I don't understand how it will not shear off most of the material holding the rivet in place (the head), assuming that we want to reuse this material.

I do not know that there is a proper way. I simply push them out with the breaker as normal. The material will roll up around the rivet. It is far from perfect but there really is not a lot of side load on the tie straps. Take a look at the old Oregon master links. I never could see how they did not simply fall out

Allright thanks, I can understand that. I guess it depends on how careful you push them out. I do not (yet) have a breaker and spinner and never even joined a chain before. Looking at this youtube link (around the 1:00 mark), it seemed there would be nothing left to spin back into shape.

I don't think you can reuse. I make lots of chains in a week and I've never reused them. Toss out and grab a new one, which isn't an issue for the modern sizes.
Omega I do have that length of Stihl chain, I thik it was 65ish drivers? I know it was too short but it's a start.

Presets/rivet heads on smaller pitch chains are usually damaged during removal. Some guys will try to re-use them. I do not. I have not worked with 1/2 inch pitch.

I have removed the rivets from the other side of a used preset, and made a usable tie strap out of that. This works with chains that have hard to find parts.

Philbert

Phil,

How much different are the Oregon pre-sets? I have tons of them. There is a outside chance there are some Stihl ones in the neighbors bolt cabinet full of presets

I've been doing some comparisons today, there's no chance of joining a Stihl chain with Oregon parts and getting it right!.... Short of finding new Stihl parts, the only way is to reuse the Stihl pre-set!... Working carefully and with some luck the 1/2" pre-set can be reused !

half inch chain 001.JPG

Wonder if that applies for other sizes? The presets we use are just a generic one from Bailey's or Scotsco. Buy them by the 100. Maybe Oregon brand, but we use them on all brands of chain.

Wonder if that applies for other sizes? The presets we use are just a generic one from Bailey's or Scotsco. Buy them by the 100. Maybe Oregon brand, but we use them on all brands of chain.

What does this mean??? The gentleman is asking about 1/2" Stihl chain. If I remember correctly you stated you had rolls of it. Not sure what Baileys has to do with it

I don't think you can reuse. I make lots of chains in a week and I've never reused them. Toss out and grab a new one, which isn't an issue for the modern sizes.
Omega I do have that length of Stihl chain, I thik it was 65ish drivers? I know it was too short but it's a start.
This is a classifieds thread. Probably shouldn't be cluttering it up with comments unrelated to the sale.

/can I be a mod now?

I assume he meant this:
Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 1.01.26 PM.png
without this:
Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 1.01.47 PM.png

EDIT: Not sure if he really wanted 1/4" (as posted) or meant 1/2" (this thread). 1/2" rivets would be NLA if they are not making the chain any more.Not sure how they compare to the dimension of rivets for .404 or 3/4 inch chain.

Philbert

Back