• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl made 1/2" chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! now I see why those could be useful here. Grind down the rivet hubs, or widen the Stihl tie strap holes, and the Oregon rivets can be used to close the loop. That is if the thinknes of the flange bearing is correct.

Yes I have a few presets and links. I dig some digging and got out the books for info. I will post more pictures in about 20 minutes. Not sure I have good news

Right now I need to go feed the boiler before the temp drops.

Bill

Good to hear Phil but just check to make sure they are the ones you need. I posted some info above

Not All The Same!

Well, Bill G stole some of my thunder with his post from the catalog above (nice reference!). But late last night I compared some 1/2 inch pitch Oregon links. I am not a machinist, so my measurements might be off by a couple of thousandths, but there is quite a bit of difference among these two types of Oregon links, and I am assuming there may be between others as well. Some may be more compatible to the STIHL, or other brands of 1/2 inch pitch chain.

Philbert

Oregon 1:2 inch.jpg Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 10.26.46 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 10.28.05 AM.png Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 1.01.26 PM.png Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 1.01.47 PM.png
Philbert

I hope I got the measurements right, I'll see when they get here!......I've tracked down a guy that builds model steam engines, uses a mini lathe, so he's going to re-machine some for me.

Screen shot 2015-01-10 at 1.01.26 PM.png
Note that on current chain at least, the larger diameter of the rivets ('flange bearing' in illustration) is hardened to serve as a bearing, while the smaller diameter parts are softer, allowing them to be spun. If you make them up on a lathe, they might not perform the same as OEM rivets, even if the same dimensions.

Philbert

Master Links

Bill G's book shows 'Master Links'. Can someone tell me about these? Were they like the chains on single speed bicycles that were held in a loop by a spring clip? Were these Master Links re-usable or single use? Were special tools needed?

Thanks!

Philbert

I've seen what you're talking about on saw chain Phil, something like this, right?
I would be interested to know more about them…….

$_57.JPG

I've seen what you're talking about on saw chain Phil, something like this, right?
Right! But that one is from a bicycle?

Bill G's catalog showed these:
Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 1.06.47 PM.png

When I heard people talking about 'master links' in the past I thought they might be using a different name for 'pre-sets'; just like 'depth gauges' are called 'rakers', 'cutters' are called 'teeth', 'bars' and 'chains' are both called 'blades' by some people, etc.

Philbert

Not All The Same!

Well, Bill G stole some of my thunder with his post from the catalog above (nice reference!). But late last night I compared some 1/2 inch pitch Oregon links. I am not a machinist, so my measurements might be off by a couple of thousandths, but there is quite a bit of difference among these two types of Oregon links, and I am assuming there may be between others as well. Some may be more compatible to the STIHL, or other brands of 1/2 inch pitch chain.

Philbert

View attachment 393665 View attachment 393666
View attachment 393667 View attachment 393668 View attachment 393669
Philbert

Philbert,
The drive link in your pic stamped 32, could you place the shank of a 7/32" drill bit in it and let me know if it's the same size?

Bill, would you have any info on the 1/2" Oregon drive link #32?

Back