Stihl MS 180C Wont Run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kboice

Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS 180C that i cannot get to run.
I used it all last year and went to use it a few months ago and it didnt seem to want to run right and it kept getting to where it would barely run. I rebuilt the carburetor and it still wouldnt run right. Now it will not run unless you put some gas directly in the carb.
Things i have done:
Rebuilt carb (i did not use the spacer where the diaphram is because i did not remember one being on there i also did not change the little metal pieces for in the carb because i couldnt figure out how to get the old ones out)
checked spark arrestor (fine)
New spark plug
new gas line
new filter in tank
good spark

Does anyone have any suggestions

I used it all last year and went to use it a few months ago and it didnt seem to want to run right and it kept getting to where it would barely run. I rebuilt the carburetor and it still wouldnt run right. Now it will not run unless you put some gas directly in the carb.
Things i have done:
Rebuilt carb (i did not use the spacer where the diaphram is because i did not remember one being on there i also did not change the little metal pieces for in the carb because i couldnt figure out how to get the old ones out)
checked spark arrestor (fine)
New spark plug
new gas line
new filter in tank
good spark

is it under warranty still?,perhaps take it back to a dealer if it is

Drain old fuel and replace with new. Put on choke, keep trigger pulled and pull on cord vigorously until it starts. Rev the crap out of it. If none of that works, replace the carb.

it is not under warranty and i have pulled and pulled with choke on and throttle wide open and still wont start.
Does anyone know how to take the little metal plates out of the carburetor to replace them? also on another forum i read about the impulse line witch is just a little round white gasket looking thing with a small hole in the bottom of it. does anyone know about this?

Inspect the fuel line and impulse line. If they are cracked it will not run. While your at it, do a compression check. If you didn't use the "spacer" on the diaphram, then your flooding out the saw. It's giving it too much fuel. I would get another kit and make sure it's the gasket goes first then the diaphram.

welch plugs

it is not under warranty and i have pulled and pulled with choke on and throttle wide open and still wont start.
Does anyone know how to take the little metal plates out of the carburetor to replace them? also on another forum i read about the impulse line witch is just a little round white gasket looking thing with a small hole in the bottom of it. does anyone know about this?

That's what they are called. they are just pressed in there, just snag them out with something, pry em put, use some needle nose, get a place to grab with some small pointy object, whatever, then yank 'em out. They are throw aways. New ones tap in with some appropriate sized like wood dowel or whatever ya got kicking around. They give you access to more nooks and crannies in the carb, for cleaning. Check your carb IPL diagram first to see what is where.

Depending on the carb, some times you can just go for broke and get a new one for not a whole lot more than a carb kit, and avoid a lot of crap. Weird stuff happens to some carbs, stuff like the little butterfly rods-the thing they pivot on- get worn out, get leaks there and so on, goofy stuff that a "carb kit" won't fix.

*Eventually* the way things are going with EPA regs and the manufacturers wanting more power we will have fuel and oil injection on saws. The parts will be spendy but they will work superbly with less chance of catastrophic screw ups to the piston and cylinder. My prediction. got no proof, but we have strato saws and autotune now..that's the trend.

Does the spark plug get too wet or is it dry? And does the saw pass the "drop test" ? What I mean to ask is how is your compression? Good luck and keep posting, these fellas helped me out of a ton of jams they'll help you out too!

Things i have done:
Rebuilt carb (i did not use the spacer where the diaphram is because i did not remember one being on there i also did not change the little metal pieces for in the carb because i couldnt figure out how to get the old ones out)checked spark arrestor (fine)
New spark plug
new gas line
new filter in tank
good spark

This has me concerned. I'm affraid you rebuilt the carb wrong and this is causing you the problems. Define the "spacer" part.

Back