STIHL MS 260 Pro or Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the swede said:
mr brushcutter!! can you explain: "it´s much better than the 260"!! my experience say´s: the 260 has a better thottle response,better durability overall! better chainbrake! the 346 has better power(rpm) until you put it in a log! well, if you wanna stand there and "throttle in the air" go for the 346! want some work done? go for the ms260! but that´s my opinion!! these day´s i only work with 361 and 660 and 880 comming for milling! i use to be a husky guy!but no more! ex:234,238,262,371,242 and 346! the best husky i ever had,was the 238 and the 262! that´s all for me!:cheers:

I guess it really comes down to personal preference but i really think the 346 is beter than a 260. We took 4 out to the woods 3 broke down, the 346 went all day long. Was that bad experence that put me off them. I think the 346 has better balance and lower vibration. The low vibration really sold me the saw to be honest. I've started using it in the tree as well now, some times the 200T is more practical but the 346 will always have a place. As for power i've never had any problems cutting logs with 346 with 15" and 18" bars.

As for chainbreak yea i partly agree, the 260 has the good old fashion STIHL chainbreak which i like since you can easly take it apart and check everything and put it back together easly. The Husky one does a good job stopping the chain prefer it as a right hand guard to the 260! Where i fault it is how bloody difficut it is to take apart. How that big spring fits in such a little space is beyond me. My bigest flaw of the husky is the overly complicated chainbreak mechanism, getting the break band out of the 365 is a challange.

I'm a big fan of the 346 and i've been put off STIHL products mainly because of the 260 breakdown and the problems with my 200T. However if you offered me a 038AV i would snap it up, borrowed one form the local council once and it was the best saw i have ever used.

As for washing air filters break cleaner works well. But personal i have a bowl which i fill up with hot water and shove some washing up liquid in and throw the filters in that. Come out clean theres never that much in them though as air injection cleans a lot of the crap out before it gets there.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Doesn't it make the color of the plastic fade? :hmm3grin2orange:
I dont do it new saws, but some bumpershine fix the fade thing ,,,
On new saws spray liquid carwax the dirt comes of real esay :)
but dont tell anyone they might think I got a Saw fetisch ,,, :deadhorse:

I love Stihl 026's. (I own two of them) They're well built, reliable, and easy to work on. I don't see how you can go wrong with one. I think they do best in the 16-18" bar range.

If most of your cutting will be 18" then I'd go with a Dolmar PS5100. (I also have one and feel it's a better saw then the 026 when outfitted with an 18" bar).

Husky 346XP's also get very good feedback.

I guess I would choose the 026 or 346XP if most of your cutting is with a 16" bar. If your're primarily cutting hardwoods with an 18" bar then I'd get the Dolmar for it's extra oomph.

Parts and service is another consideration. Dolmar parts will likely need to be ordered. You might not have a local dealer nearby if you need service.

However Stihl and Husky parts might also need to be ordered unless you have a large dealer nearby that believes in actually stocking parts. If you want the dealer to service the saw then you're probably better off with Stihl or Husky since dealer's are much more common.

the swede said:
mr brushcutter!! can you explain: "it´s much better than the 260"!! my experience say´s: the 260 has a better thottle response,better durability overall! better chainbrake! the 346 has better power(rpm) until you put it in a log! well, if you wanna stand there and "throttle in the air" go for the 346! want some work done? go for the ms260! but that´s my opinion!! these day´s i only work with 361 and 660 and 880 comming for milling! i use to be a husky guy!but no more! ex:234,238,262,371,242 and 346! the best husky i ever had,was the 238 and the 262! that´s all for me!:cheers:

Hello there Mr "The Swede". Nice to see another poster from the Nordic countries ;) Those vikings tend to spread their wings again and head for the US :hmm3grin2orange:

Having not used my saws long enough to make a firm statement, I believe though your comment about the Stihl durability is true. My first saw 038 AV was running like its first day used after more than 20 years of service.
However, after operating the Husky 136, 372 and now the 242, I have come to like Husky saws very much for their good balance and reduced vibe compared to the Stihls. For dayly use, that would be a very important decision factor to me at least. But as so often stated in this forum, you can't go wrong with both brands.

Since I can find little info on the 242 xp and you seem to have used them, how would you rate this saw and its recommended use ?
thanks in advance

Roland

I own both saws and the stock 260 with muffler mod and adjustable carb is a roach in every way compared to the 346.
If you dont muffler mod the 260 and have a adjustable carb on the saw is really bad.

Since I can find little info on the 242 xp and you seem to have used them, how would you rate this saw and its recommended use ?
thanks in advance

Roland[/QUOTE]

I have used the 242xpg for limbing and felling pulp i really liked it or that, though i changed jug gasket to the thinner one on it, and removed the cat on it ,,,
but the-swede should know more about it cause i didn't use it that much ,,,

/Kristoffer

belgian said:
Hello there Mr "The Swede". Nice to see another poster from the Nordic countries ;) Those vikings tend to spread their wings again and head for the US :hmm3grin2orange:

Having not used my saws long enough to make a firm statement, I believe though your comment about the Stihl durability is true. My first saw 038 AV was running like its first day used after more than 20 years of service.
However, after operating the Husky 136, 372 and now the 242, I have come to like Husky saws very much for their good balance and reduced vibe compared to the Stihls. For dayly use, that would be a very important decision factor to me at least. But as so often stated in this forum, you can't go wrong with both brands.

thanks in advance

Roland

Well,hi there "belgian"! yepp,we vikings are allways on the go!:hmm3grin2orange: about the 242! i did not really use it very much! just for backup,i mostly use "my little baby" the 238! i loved that one!! until it was stolen from my pickup:( it was a sad day!! i had it for many years! never let me down!! i´m allways looking for another one! many of them are still in use, i´m a "stihlguy" now,but there is allways a place for a 238 in my "house"!
recommended use for the 242! hmm..... well in my opinion you shouln´t use more than 15" bar on it! the same goes for the ms260 and the 346 as well, if you want 18"+ bars, you should go for a bigger saw ex ms361 or husky 357!or bigger! if you have the whole 18" in the "wood" even a 361 have to work pretty hard!besides,the balance in a 242 would not be very good with a 18"bar on it! you know,it´s really made for a 13" bar! i have: ms200 14", 2x361 15" and 18", ms660 25" 30" 36"! and i can´t belive there is any job i can´t do with these saw´s! not here in sweden anyway! the biggest tree i have ever "done" was a 4 foot pine! they dont get much bigger here! maybe in the south of sweden where they have for ex oak´s!? we have 90% pine and fir where i live! So!!! use your 242 for the small stuff! and use a bigger saw for the big stuff! THATS my opinion (finally):hmm3grin2orange: good luck with the 242! you´ll need it:)

as for vikings: 1 olympic goldmedal and 1 world championchip goldmedal the same year!!!!! that´s the icehockey vikings i´m proud of!!:clap: :clap:

Hey again "mr belgian" about the vibes! i hope you didn´t compare the 038av and the 242?:) then i can understand your opinion about stihl vibes!! if you wanna try a good stihl with allmost 0 wibes!!? try the ms361!! best saw i ever laid my hands on(sorry my dear 660) i worked in the south after the storm "gudrun" for a year with it,and i still havent done anything to it!! only the regular: 2 rims 3 bars and a whole lot of chains!! ohh! and 2 sparkplugs(just in case) i just love it!! i rekommend everyone to try it! i´m sure that even you husky guys will be a little "wet in your pants":greenchainsaw: the husky 357(361size) is not a hit i´ve heard from friends and a couple of guys i worked with! never tested it myself,but they talk about some overheating problems! and this summer down at "gudrun" they had big problems with overheating! sorry if i can´t give you much fakts on the 242! never use it much and never liked it much either! dont know really why!for me it feels like the 238 was the last "real husky" but compared to the 242,the 346 was a big jump "up the ladder" for husky! so if you can,get a 346 instead!or a ms260! if you want this size of a saw! and if you can find a 238 your a lucky guy! tell me if you do! maybe i give you a bid you cant refuse!:) and i´m also looking for a newer model of stihl 090 just for fun! there is a 090g on ebay now,but i dont know if i want a geardrive!besides it will cost me around 2200-2400 usd,including VAT,customs and shipping!!!!!!!!! before i have it here, and i can get a new 880 for 1300-1350!! it sure would be fun,but it is just too much! and i really want the 137ccm 090! so if anyone have one for sale,just let me know! hmm...yes vibes! my 660 have some vibes,but i have other things on my mind when i thottle the 660 hehe! anyone that drove one knows what i taking about!!? So "mr belgian" if you want one saw for everything really take a look at the 361! it´s a little more heavy than the 45-50ccm`s but you can really compare the power with the 70ccm`s! a friend of mine compared it to his 372 and he could not feel much difference besides the weight! so i cant wait untill stihl release:261,461,661 and maybe eaven a 881:hmm3grin2orange: . Have a nice day everyone!!:cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
5 seconds? I clean my air filters maybe once a day if using heavily, and once a week or two if not... Just because it has dust on it doesn't mean it's not breathing. Heck, half the "pro" saws from "pro" users I get to service have air filters so heavily crusted it's hard to believe they work at all, but they do.

I'm no Husky expert here, but I find most of the problem with air filters is NOT cleaning out the spit-back from the carb. Over time the mix-oil forms a resin that really blocks up the filters.

I am not biased, as I have owned a few of each. But there are facts about each saw, The stihls have ????ty air induction. I can run my huskies all day long and not have to blowout the filter. I check them everytime I refuel. The stihls (044, 046, and 066 experiences) are great saws, but everytime I would refuel, the outer prefilter would be caked in sawdust and chips. I ran an 029 once, but not long enough to get the filter dirty. lol. I also know that dull chains make more dust, so don't even go there. The flocked filters on the huskies are easier to clean than the mesh of the stihls bigger lineup. I guess I was spoiled growing up running huskies with air injection....
:)
BTW andy, what filer do you use on the 066 when you mill? I am thinking about getting another 066 and wondered which filter would be the best.

-Steve

the swede said:
i´m sure that even you husky guys will be a little "wet in your pants":greenchainsaw:

Thanks for your reply 'The Swede' ! You sure talk a little funny ;) , but no worries.
If you would have looked at my signature, you would have noticed that I already have a Stihl MS 200 (13"), a MS 361 (18") and a 242 xp (38cm) today, so don"t convince me how good the 361 is .That saw has many admirors here on this forum, and rightly so. :clap:

The 242 is a very good saw too in my opinion, although the 38 cm bar is indeed a little too big. It bogs down real quick if you put that bar into full length wood. I was just wondering what the professionals think of this saw, that's all.

PS. Icehockey is for p@ssies:hmm3grin2orange: , road cycling rules :rock:
Where exactly in Sweden are you located ?
Roland

Freakingstang said:
BTW andy, what filter do you use on the 066 when you mill? I am thinking about getting another 066 and wondered which filter would be the best.

-Steve

I use the HD filter - the type with the yellow fleece, NOT the wire mesh with the inner sponge that needs oiling. I use the standard felt pre-filter, and sometimes dust it of or just fit a spare during the day. I don't find milling to be too bad on filters, which is interesting considering the incredible amount of fine wood debris...

the swede said:
..... recommended use for the 242! hmm..... well in my opinion you shouln´t use more than 15" bar on it! the same goes for the ms260 and the 346 as well, if you want 18"+ bars, you should go for a bigger saw ex ms361 or husky 357!or bigger! if you have the whole 18" in the "wood" even a 361 have to work pretty hard!besides,the balance in a 242 would not be very good with a 18"bar on it! you know,it´s really made for a 13" bar! i have: ms200 14", 2x361 15" and 18", ....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome here fellow Scandinavian!

Your post quoted above is one of the best I have seen here for some time. :rockn:

By the way, most vikings were Danes, weren't they? :laugh: :help:

the swede said:
So "mr belgian" if you want one saw for everything really take a look at the 361! it´s a little more heavy than the 45-50ccm`s but you can really compare the power with the 70ccm`s! a friend of mine compared it to his 372 and he could not feel much difference besides the weight! ... :cheers:

:laugh: :laugh: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

As he said, he has had a 361 for some time, and he sold his 372xp not too long ago for about the reasons you describe! :rockn:

Ahh! Hello there sawtroll and belgian! yepp,i have to open up my eyes! i think i must be blind or something:) i dont think i can tell you anything about saws that you dont already now!!! and belgian: yes i agree with you that i talk a little funny!! that´s because i´m a funny guy!!:) besides,my english maybe isn´t what it should be! sawtroll: as for the bars and sprockets, i only use 3/8x7 on all my saws! exept for the 361 you asked about! on that one i have 0,325x9x15", and it´s a real beast i can tell you!! and i guess 0,325x9 and 3/8x8 are about the same chainspeed!!?? i will try that someday! also my bars are rollomatic "e" bars! even my 25" bar is a "e" bar( 3/8-050) one of my 18" bar is also 3/8-050! the rest is 063! but my 30" and 36" bars, they are "es" bars!

My location!! well i live 250km northwest from stockholm,500m from a fairly big lake called "siljan"!!

The vikings!! yes,the most vikings was danish-icelandish! and if i havent know where sawtroll came from,i would have said that many of them also were norweigan! but i dont!;) you know! the swedes where not dumb enough to go out in a small treeboat to cross the atlantic ocean!!hehe! so the "swedish vikings" are still here! well,ok!to be honest, some dumbas swede did cross the ocean too!!. i wish a great day to all of you out there!!

the swede said:
My location!! well i live 250km northwest from stockholm,500m from a fairly big lake called "siljan"!!

That's pretty well north already, and a nice tourist area. I visited already some customers in Falun and Hudiksvall, which are not too far off, I believe.

Funny airport though in Borlänge. :laugh: :laugh: I took once a flight from Arlanda to Hudiksvall, with a quick stop at Borlange. Not understanding swedish, I got off the plane too early at Borlange. While waiting in the local airport (somewhat like a local busstation), I saw the plane stop again after taxiing, a nice stewardess jumped out and walked all the way back to the station to tell me that I'd checked out too early.

You should have seen those swedes laughing at me when I got back into that plane.:hmm3grin2orange:

Funny people those swedes, but very nice :cheers:

sorry for the off topic.
Roland

Belgian !

Both Borlänge and Falun are close to Siljan :)
I live in Säter not to fare from it either, Säter is a nice Town too, its were we keep a great deal of Swedens serial murders in a hospital :)
What did you do in Hudiksvall ??

/Kristoffer

Back