STIHL MS 260 Pro or Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWE#Kipp said:
Both Borlänge and Falun are close to Siljan :)
I live in Säter not to fare from it either, Säter is a nice Town too, its were we keep a great deal of Swedens serial murders in a hospital :)
What did you do in Hudiksvall ??

/Kristoffer

Kristoffer,

I was several time in Hudiksvall with the company Ericsson cables (fiber optic cable plant in those days), buying and selling cable machinery. They also had a plant in Falun.
Great green country you have ! I easily could live there myself ;)
take care

Roland

Haha! so belgian! you have been to the gigantic "dala airport" it´s almost as big as a newspaper stand!!hehe! glad that you like our country! your wellcome to move here anyday! And kristoffer: very good to have another real "dalmas" here at the site! so we can back eachother up! does it rain like hell in säter to? take care boy´s!!:rock:

Dalmas :)

Yes cats and dogs, its pouring ,,,,
A bit boring I recieved a race chain from d.neiger but its not so fun test it in the rain but the few cuts I've made I can tell I need to get a grip on my sharpening skills ,,lol ,,

take care !!

/Kinky swede

SWE#Kipp said:
A bit boring I recieved a race chain from d.neiger but its not so fun test it in the rain but the few cuts I've made I can tell I need to get a grip on my sharpening skills ,,lol ,,

/Kinky swede

It would be nice if you could post some pics of that chain...really interesting.

HTML:
Haha! so belgian! you have been to the gigantic "dala airport" it´s almost as big as a newspaper stand!!hehe!

It may sound a little funny, but taking a flight on such an airfield is a luxury compared with major airports today. The 9/11 related security control nowadays is really no fun anymore for a traveller. I'd prefer 'dala' situations over any other airport I know of, so keep it that way while you can...:cheers:

roland

Fire wood

The Husky 3120 and the Stihl 880 are both excelent firewood saws and will carry chips with a 20 inch bar.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

In new our area Stihls catalog MS260 is reported 4.8 kg and 3,5 hp at 50.2cc.
260W 5.0 kg and 3,5 hp at 50.2cc

Last edited:
SWE#Kipp said:
Nice saw Mr.Brush !!
Do you like it with the 18" bar ??

I used it all day yesterday with an 18" on it. I've really got to give the carb a good set up it just doesn't scream like our other 346. I was cutting willow and dead wood so it wasn't a fair test of its potential. I'll run it through so logs next week see how it runs.

pinus said:
Here we have the MS260 Farm Boss (non-pro) listed at 4.7 kg and the MS260 VW (Arctic) at 4.9 kg. There are also several other versions - all are listed with 50.2 cc and 3.5 hp.
The US versions are listed with 3.2 bhp, which normally equals 3.3 hp.

The 346 xp are listed with 4.8 kg and 3.4 hp.
Some claim that it weights more, but according to KWF and DLG test reports it weights as adverticed.
It is the only pro quality 300-series Husky that isn't overweight compared to what Husky states.

Last edited:
pinus said:

My "theory" on that is that with mild muffler mod (just to the front cover) we (USA) are instantly back to 3.5hp..:D

Lakeside53 said:
My "theory" on that is that with mild muffler mod (just to the front cover) we (USA) are instantly back to 3.5hp..:D
If on IPL the parts numbers for the USA/nonUSA cylinders are the the same, then the mufler is the main difference source:confused:

Got to test my 346 with its 18" bar and new carb settings. Ran like a dream, still doesn't like warm starts to much maybe because its new? Got to use a 260 today as well i've wamed to it, cuts very well but i didn't notice too much difference between the 346 with 18" and the 260 with 13" bars. One thing i did notice between the two was how much better the AV on the Husky is.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
..., still doesn't like warm starts to much maybe because its new? .....
You could try to just lift the red on/off swich to the "on" position, without activating fast idle with the blue lever.

If it is correctly adjusted, it should start that way when warm, regardless what the manual says....;)

Mr_Brushcutter said:
... between the 346 with 18" and the 260 with 13" bars. One thing i did notice between the two was how much better the AV on the Husky is.
That is true, and a very common observation.

Broken my 346xp

Had it less than 2 weeks!
Was cutting up logs for firewood in the blistering heat yesterday. The 346 leaned out and scored its piston. So annoyed right now its unture, however on the same fuel mix the 365, 026 and 034 were all fine.

The only coserlation is that it cost me 200 quid rather than 400 quid new one. Not looking too forward to the repair bill. I expect its going to be easier and cheaper to buy a new one.

Sorry to hear that! :(

:bang: Buying used saws are allways risky, but it could also be that your carb was adjusted too lean (?)

SawTroll said:
Sorry to hear that! :(

:bang: Buying used saws are allways risky, but it could also be that your carb was adjusted too lean (?)

The day i used it felling willow into the lake it was a bit lean so it kept cutting out when you started it. I put the cab back to the L=1 H=1 and then gave them about a 1/4 -1/3 of a turn round again. Performance was top notch and the 346 powerband was there which it wasn't before.

The interesting thing is that the scoring is only in one place and takes the form of a little blackish patch just in front of the exaust outlet. I've only ever seen one other scored piston and thats when the boss tipped petrol into the 345Rx and ran it for 20 minuets.

I am surely no expert - maybe you should start a new tread about what happened to get more opinions on what happened, and what to do with it - maybe something can be saved?

Latest posts

Back