Stihl MS 361 review by non-user.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had both a 440 and a 460. No longer. Cost is far more for either of them than a 361. I do not intend on getting whitefinger myself (I have friends with that condition from high vibration saws). Using the 361 is far less tiring for me than even using my 250.

I have had both a 440 and a 460. No longer. Cost is far more for either of them than a 361. I do not intend on getting whitefinger myself (I have friends with that condition from high vibration saws). Using the 361 is far less tiring for me than even using my 250.

Yes well we are in total agreement there. I sold the 066 I had simply cause it bothered my hands pretty bad. I feel nothing when running my 394xp. I got the 044 046 for a good deal, so thats why I have them, they don't bother my hands like the 066 did.

I just don't think that the 361 is worth the price tag.

I did not buy either of mine new, and I got really good prices on both of them in like-new condition (maybe 10 tanks of gas through both of them). For my type of cutting, they are in the sweet spot. They are $200 less than the 460 here. 440s are no longer sold new state-side. I bought one of the last ones sold in Oregon.

Added note: Here in the states we pay less than just about anyone else in the world for chainsaws. We are spoiled rotten in that regard, and in many cases we pay 2/3 or even half of what others pay. I sold the 440 down under.

Last edited:
I did not buy either of mine new, and I got really good prices on both of them in like-new condition (maybe 10 tanks of gas through both of them). For my type of cutting, they are in the sweet spot. They are $200 less than the 460 here. 440s are no longer sold new state-side. I bought one of the last ones sold in Oregon.

Added note: Here in the states we pay less than just about anyone else in the world for chainsaws. We are spoiled rotten in that regard, and in many cases we pay 2/3 or even half of what others pay. I sold the 440 down under.

You can also add alcohol to that list, its like dirt down there compared to here. I think the 361 here new is like $750. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $699 on sale.

You can also add alcohol to that list, its like dirt down there compared to here. I think the 361 here new is like $750. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $699 on sale.

I saw a 361 today new on the shelf and it was $609 with a 24 inch bar and chain. No sales tax in Oregon. So that is the 'out the door' price.

Booze depends on the state. In Washington and Oregon it is pretty expensive. I go to California and it is HALF the price of here. I pay for my gas on trips down there in buying booze. For example, a 2 liter bottle of Quervo Gold tequilla in California is $24 with sales tax. Here they are $45. A 2 liter bottle of triple distilled Smirnoff vodka in California is $17 with sales tax.

Of course the coop de gras is gasoline here now. I paid $1.99 a gallon today for gas. Less than half what it was here this summer.

Last edited:
Back