Stihl MS 361 review by non-user.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Father Joat, don't you have some scripture to read? :)

:givebeer:

Brother Fast,

Yes my son, listen to the word:

After him Malchijah, one of the goldsmiths, carried out repairs as far as the house of the temple servants and of the merchants, in front of the Inspection Gate and as far as the upper room of the corner.

Between the upper room of the corner and the Sheep Gate the goldsmiths and the merchants carried out repairs.
Nehemiah 3:31-32

father joat

Oh yea.....They're gonna feel nauseated alright, when they see the price of dem dear Stihl parts.....lol.....:censored:

And, Brother Tommie, it is said:

Then I was very angry when I had heard their outcry and these words.

consulted with myself and contended with the nobles and the rulers and said to them, "You are exacting usury, each from his brother!" Therefore, I held a great assembly against them.

said to them, "We according to our ability have redeemed our Jewish brothers who were sold to the nations; now would you even sell your brothers that they may be sold to us?" Then they were silent and could not find a word to say.

Again I said, "The thing which you are doing is not good; should you not walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the nations, our enemies?

"And likewise I, my brothers and my servants are lending them money and grain. Please, let us leave off this usury
. Nehemiah 5:6-10

father joat

Tom......No match you say?.....You're probably right as well it shouldn't be for 9 more CC and 1/2hp, not to mention $200 more smackers.

I'd venture to guess, right out of the box, all things equal (bar/chain) the 5100 will hang right with the vaunted 361 up to 14"-16" wood.

Now take 2 unsuspecting homeowners/neighbors that aren't CAD/AS loonies like us (who wont mod mufflers and buy aggressive chains but want a better quality saw) and one buys a 5100 and the other a 361 (plus $200) and they go out back to cut firewood together......I bet I know which one is gonna feel a little nauseated. :check:

True in small wood they run close. Take a 5100 with a 18 inch bar and a 361 with a 18 inch bar and bury them in 20 in wood and see which has the more gonads. Not agruing the 5100 isn't a nice saw for it sure is, I like mine alot. However my 5100 will not outcut either one of my 361's and it shouldn't, its a smaller saw. For a 50cc saw though now its probly the baddest mother on the market, I won't deny that.

As for price differance yes the 5100 can be had for alot less than a 361, no question about it. All things taken into account though the 361 in my humble opinon is a better all purpose saw than the 5100. Meaning simply if you have no choice but to toss a 24inch bar on a 361 to get the job done you can, won't be fast cutting but it will get it done. Not so sure the 5100 can do the same.

Brother Fast,

Yes my son, listen to the word:

After him Malchijah, one of the goldsmiths, carried out repairs as far as the house of the temple servants and of the merchants, in front of the Inspection Gate and as far as the upper room of the corner.

Between the upper room of the corner and the Sheep Gate the goldsmiths and the merchants carried out repairs.
Nehemiah 3:31-32

father joat

And, Brother Tommie, it is said:

Then I was very angry when I had heard their outcry and these words.

consulted with myself and contended with the nobles and the rulers and said to them, "You are exacting usury, each from his brother!" Therefore, I held a great assembly against them.

said to them, "We according to our ability have redeemed our Jewish brothers who were sold to the nations; now would you even sell your brothers that they may be sold to us?" Then they were silent and could not find a word to say.

Again I said, "The thing which you are doing is not good; should you not walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the nations, our enemies?

"And likewise I, my brothers and my servants are lending them money and grain. Please, let us leave off this usury
. Nehemiah 5:6-10

father joat

Uhhhhhhhhhhh could you put that in southern country terms so I can get a better eye deer whatcha mean there,LOLOL

Joat you are something else,LOL

Here is a good sounding saw. My 394xp with gutted muffler and dual port.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nEUrKOlnoAg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nEUrKOlnoAg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Uhhhhhhhhhhh could you put that in southern country terms so I can get a better eye deer whatcha mean there,LOLOL

Joat you are something else,LOL

Brother Tommie,

Glad to help.

Nehemiah 3:31-32 seems to suggest that somebody needs to fix 'em after they're sold.

Nehemiah 5:6-10 seems to say that if you take advantage and overcharge, your a$$ belongs to the Most Almighty.

Tommie, in the future I shall quote from the Redneck Simple Version (RSV) for you.

father joat

Brother Tommie,

Glad to help.

Nehemiah 3:31-32 seems to suggest that somebody needs to fix 'em after they're sold.

Nehemiah 5:6-10 seems to say that if you take advantage and overcharge, your a$$ belongs to the Most Almighty.

Tommie, in the future I shall quote from the Redneck Simple Version (RSV) for you.

father joat

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Meaning simply if you have no choice but to toss a 24inch bar on a 361 to get the job done you can, won't be fast cutting but it will get it done. Not so sure the 5100 can do the same.

Funny thing is.....I remember talking to a fellow at my Dolmar dealer and he said, he has 2 - 5100s and he runs 24" bars on both of them. I just laughed and said, you're kidding right? He says, not all, they'll pull em fine.....lol :dizzy:

When he left the dealer says.....He has bought probably 8-10 saws from him and has all the big ones too and says he has no idea why he does that but said it's true. :givebeer:

Gary,

Pointless, eh? As compared to:

attachment.php

Joat

Gary should be wearing safety glasses, He could lose an eye there lol

Brother Tommie,

Glad to help.

father joat

I much preciated dare Joat,LOLOLOLOLOL

Funny thing is.....I remember talking to a fellow at my Dolmar dealer and he said, he has 2 - 5100s and he runs 24" bars on both of them. I just laughed and said, you're kidding right? He says, not all, they'll pull em fine.....lol :dizzy:

When he left the dealer says.....He has bought probably 8-10 saws from him and has all the big ones too and says he has no idea why he does that but said it's true. :givebeer:

Well who knows, maybe that little saw will manage a 24 inch bar and chain. I've never tried it but have seen a few guys will 24 inchers on their 361 Stihl's. They claim it does ok but admit it prefers a shorter bar and chain for sure.

I like my 5100 alot, its a mean little saw, no question about it. I think the only other 50cc saw outthere that comes close to the 5100 performance wise is the Husky 346xpNE. I bought one of those several months back and its been a quite impressive saw. I think in the block the 5100 may have a slight edge in power but up in the thick of the limbs where user friendly outshines all else the 346xp puts the hurting on the 5100. That slim lightweight body of the 346xp makes it so much more easy to manage than the 5100. In the block I'll take the 5100. In the tops give me that 346. All around use where I only have one saw, give me that 361,:cheers: :cheers:

Lots of assumptions here, and you never ran the saw? ...but you are running your mouth off about it? Give us a report after you have felled a few trees with one, and cut all day with one. Then I will listen.

I was invited over to a buddies house Sunday to cut some wood. When I get there, he says, I told the neighbor to come over too. Well, low and behold there he stands holding a 361 in all its glory. :)

So I'm thinking I can't wait to see this thing run, never seen one cure cancer in person. I have to say, I was not overly impressed. Ok, I'm not really impressed at all!

Granted he stihl had the factory safety chain on (20" bar) but it was throwing nice chips so I assume it was fairly sharp. I did not run it but did hold it and could definitely tell it had more girth than my 5100.

The thing was so quite and restricted (gutless) sounding, I would say the muffler needs gutted big time and I'm sure a good chain would make a noticeable difference.

It would have been embarrassing to Stihl if we would have laid those two saws in that 14" oak at the same time......My 5100 is all stock except for the chisel chain. He did stand there for about 5 mins just watching me running the 5100 and said after I stopped "that thing's a runner!" :)

Bottom line, in stock form, the 5100 sounds and cuts like a Ferrari and the 361 like a Ford/Chevy. :)

Let the flogging begin....:laugh:

361 will last under commercial use. 5100's will not, thats been proven by the two we tied up and were comped for by the dealer that were still well under warranty. Will never buy anything dolmar again!

Well who knows, maybe that little saw will manage a 24 inch bar and chain. I've never tried it but have seen a few guys will 24 inchers on their 361 Stihl's. They claim it does ok but admit it prefers a shorter bar and chain for sure.

I like my 5100 alot, its a mean little saw, no question about it. I think the only other 50cc saw outthere that comes close to the 5100 performance wise is the Husky 346xpNE. I bought one of those several months back and its been a quite impressive saw. I think in the block the 5100 may have a slight edge in power but up in the thick of the limbs where user friendly outshines all else the 346xp puts the hurting on the 5100. That slim lightweight body of the 346xp makes it so much more easy to manage than the 5100. In the block I'll take the 5100. In the tops give me that 346. All around use where I only have one saw, give me that 361,:cheers: :cheers:

I mostly agree with most of that...........:cheers:

I mostly agree with most of that...........:cheers:

Whatcha mean most,LOLOL

Let me be more clear SawTroll. I've found the 5100 to be the black sheep between the 346 and the 361. It doesn't have the blocking power of the 361 or the ease of handling in the thick of limbs like the 346xp. It does not excell as a all purpose saw like the 361 and it sure doesn't excell as a trim saw like the 346xp due to not handling near as well. As much as I like the 5100 I find myself having no need to carry it to the woods anymore when the other two, the 361 and 346 both excell over it in their intended use. I haven't used mine in many months. Thats not to say I don't like the 5100 for I do, its a mean little saw but finding a use for it when 361 and 346 both out perform it in their intended uses makes it hard to take to the woods, its the black sheep of the family. Me being a good father though it will always have a safe home with me whether I use it much or not. It is a fun saw to play with and thats about the fairest way to describe it.

Lots of assumptions here, and you never ran the saw? ...but you are running your mouth off about it? Give us a report after you have felled a few trees with one, and cut all day with one. Then I will listen.

:agree2: :agree2:

Back