Stihl MS 362 CM, good to go I need a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trophyhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have to buy a new firewood saw, been running Husky pro saws pretty much forever and turn my own wrench so service was never an issue or needed but we don't and won't have any competent dealers for Husky autotune service and there are several reputable Stihl dealers close by so they are pretty much the only game in town for me if there's an issue with the electronics much as I'd like a 362XP after reading all the threads it's not an option.

Are there any legit reasons I don't want to drop the coin on a new 362 CM with plenty of local dealer support options if needed versus ordering a 362XP and being stuck with it if an AT issue arises?

I bought one. I like it, it cuts like I expect a 60cc saw to cut. Lots of folks here don't like it. I can't quite tell if they dislike because of the Mtronic, the looks, the performance or just because it's different than the prior model. Doesn't matter to me, it cuts wood at or better than expectation...

I have to buy a new firewood saw, been running Husky pro saws pretty much forever and turn my own wrench so service was never an issue or needed but we don't and won't have any competent dealers for Husky autotune service and there are several reputable Stihl dealers close by so they are pretty much the only game in town for me if there's an issue with the electronics much as I'd like a 362XP after reading all the threads it's not an option.

Are there any legit reasons I don't want to drop the coin on a new 362 CM with plenty of local dealer support options if needed versus ordering a 362XP and being stuck with it if an AT issue arises?

For the 562xp problems to have been corrected, there still seems to be issues.

I'm not much on either, to be honest, but I would certainly go with the 362 over the 562 based on previous reading.

Mike Lee is the only guy I know with a running 562: his runs great, but which one would you be getting?

A good one, or a Not so good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input guys, I really am not in the mood to buy one of Husqvarna's problem childs again been there done that and adding the technology into the mix more or less puts me out of fixing that end of it should it need help. I'll swing by my local saw shop and grab a new 362 C and we'll see how she does over the coming weekend I've got some big white oak to put on the ground.

What about Dolmar or ECHO?

You did not ask about either, but if it must be a new saw,( read not an MS361), I'd look hard @ the 6100 & 620.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No Dolmar in my area but the Echo's are easy to find, I looked at them and actually for the money they are probably a good option versus the farm and ranch saws from Stihl or Husky but I really want a solid Pro quality saw and the Echo doesn't seem built anywhere near that standard.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/index.php?threads/299924/

This was a recent ms 362c thread. Everyone will have opinions. Mine has been great. No problems. Keep it clean, keep sharp chain, use good synthetic oil and fresh (prefer ethonol free). If it feels good, buy it. Good all around pro saw. Enjoy and be safe.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

All those suggested are good saws. I'm a Stihl guy because of 2 great Stihl dealers that are close. Just don't like the flippy caps.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

If you want simplicity and reliability the Echo and Dolmar would be my top two in the 60cc class. The 362 is a fine saw if you don't mind the Mtronic system, which seems to be quite reliable.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Stopped on the way home and picked up a shiny new 362 CM, got a free case and a spare chain with the deal and the additional years warranty with the oil and Motomix purchase is a plus hope it cuts as good as it looks it starts really easy cold or hot I like it!
Stihl%203_zpsish5knju.jpg

Stihl%201_zpscww2nuec.jpg

Stopped on the way home and picked up a shiny new 362 CM, got a free case and a spare chain with the deal and the additional years warranty with the oil and Motomix purchase is a plus hope it cuts as good as it looks it starts really easy cold or hot I like it!
Stihl%203_zpsish5knju.jpg

Stihl%201_zpscww2nuec.jpg

If that had a wrap bar and a west coast clutch cover it would be a clone of mine... I hope you like it!

I had a few logs out back to buck and buried the 362 CM last night into some big maple and oak, this saw is a game changer for weight VS power I love it! I was just into the third cut with the bar buried when it really seemed to dial itself in and pick up the pace a bit more.

Did a few hot restarts with it while cutting, it starts right up on the first pull every time this M-Tronic system is the way to go I really like that the saw owner can reset the computer back into learning mode and start over if need be.

What's a west coast clutch cover?

A west coast clutch cover is taller. It comes down flush to the base of the saw. As I understand, it's so when you're using a full or 3/4 wrap handlebar, there's more protection for your fingertips. If you add a wrap bar and have a regular clutch cover, it's possible your glove or fingertips could come up under the clutch cover and contact the chain near the sprocket.

Plus, they look cool. You can buy an aftermarket one pretty cheap if you're after the cool factor.

I had a few logs out back to buck and buried the 362 CM last night into some big maple and oak, this saw is a game changer for weight VS power I love it! I was just into the third cut with the bar buried when it really seemed to dial itself in and pick up the pace a bit more.

Did a few hot restarts with it while cutting, it starts right up on the first pull every time this M-Tronic system is the way to go I really like that the saw owner can reset the computer back into learning mode and start over if need be.

Right on. Congrats on the new saw. Rumor has it that these strato saws need a good dozen tanks to really get into their stride. I hope it only becomes more impressive in the coming weeks.

What's a west coast clutch cover?

this is @mnchevelle 's picture from a few years ago from this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms-362-r-cm-question.260694/

2096b11eabf01f38fea920ee621980a2.jpg

Other than the bar being a bit short this is a classic west coast set up for the 362. The local dealers that I've talked to don't even stock the standard model and they look at you funny if you want something other than a 28" bar. In addition to the greater coverage area, the clutch cover also has more room side to side to facilitate better chip clearance. You give up captive bar nuts for better chip clearance and, as mentioned previously, better protection of the hands while using the wrap bar.

Back