stihl MS 391 VS MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshc4x4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi im trying to decided between the 2 saws on which one to and to the collection.. i do a good share of side tree work from felling to buckin up fire wood.. and own a camp with tons of woods that i cut in all the time.. so far i have heard good things about both saws and would like to ask anyone else opinion.. right know i run a 290 and need more saw

thats what im trying to decide.. the dealer i was at said you cant go wrong with either saw but the pro will last a bit longer and is a pound lighter.. there is only like $80 difference in price

thats what im trying to decide.. the dealer i was at said you cant go wrong with either saw but the pro will last a bit longer and is a pound lighter.. there is only like $80 difference in price

If its only $80 that should make up your mind right there!!

The rim sprocket on the 362 is $30 of it already.

I have a friend with the 391. He was splitting Pecan with it yesterday and he loves the saw. I agree with the others but if $$ is tight then the 391 might be the answer, I would not argue about a pound or two, but the 391 has power to spare. JMHO Ken

Hi im trying to decided between the 2 saws on which one to and to the collection.. i do a good share of side tree work from felling to buckin up fire wood.. and own a camp with tons of woods that i cut in all the time.. so far i have heard good things about both saws and would like to ask anyone else opinion.. right know i run a 290 and need more saw

If price and size are an issue check out Husqvarna's 555really great bang for your buck. It's weight wise comparable to the 362 and in my opinion not much difference in power.

Last edited by a moderator:
362 would be my choice.

$80 is short money to get more power, durability, and reliability, less weight, and a more maintenance-friendly design. I've run a 362 and liked it.

I sell them and work on them all day long, if it were me, I'd gladly pay the 80.00 for the 362, both are good saws, we have not had any failures of either model, the 362 is a great all around saw, make sure to buy a six pack of ultra mix and get the 2 year warranty and also take advantage of the 9.99 promo on a set of Sytihl ear muffs and safety/sun glasses. We sell the fire out of both models, we set most up with 20" bars and some want them set up with 25" set up, Imho a 20" is the way to go, great saws.

I have a 391 and a 361, both with 20 inch bars, both fairly new saws. I cut around 20 cords a year. Both saws will do the job just fine. I've never noticed the weight difference. I've had both saws buried in hardwood and give the 361 a slight advantage. Speed wise I'm sure the 361 is a touch faster but all I do is make trees fall over and cut logs up into heat so five minutes saved isn't a deal breaker for me. In the end the 361 "feels" better to me and is the first of the two saws I grab. If it were an $80 dollars difference and I had the extra cash I'd buy the pro saw and wouldn't look back.

In the book it says the 391 has 64.1 cc and 4.4 bhp and the 362 is 59cc but 4.6 bhp is that much of a difference to me it seems the 391 has more power but i could be wrong..

A broke in 362 will out cut a 391 all day long, it takes around 12-15 tanks for either saw to get broke in, don't let the cc's fool you, the 362 has different porting and timing, full pro contruction, split mag case saw, the 391 is a clamshell design, the 362 will develop more power. Same with the prior models, in our wood business we have a 361 (pro saw, predecessor to the 362 that had cut prolly four hundred cord plus in four and a half seasons without an issue, one spark plug, I have cut beside 390's and 391's and it just outperforms them period. 80.00 over the 20 year life of the saw figures out about 4.00 year money well spent imho

I was at my sthil dealer today,he has a hardware store and sell a little of everything,anyway,he has a ms 362 he repossed,it needs cleaning said he had tuned it,has a 20in bar,the chain looked almost new,he said he would take 200.00 otd

In the book it says the 391 has 64.1 cc and 4.4 bhp and the 362 is 59cc but 4.6 bhp is that much of a difference to me it seems the 391 has more power but i could be wrong..

The 362 is more powerful, honestly though I doubt you will notice a difference in power. I have a 362 and have ran a 290, no comparison, the 362 hands down all day long.

I was at my sthil dealer today,he has a hardware store and sell a little of everything,anyway,he has a ms 362 he repossed,it needs cleaning said he had tuned it,has a 20in bar,the chain looked almost new,he said he would take 200.00 otd

You looking for a good buy? Because that is a tremendous deal.

I thought about buying it,but I am saw poor 2 028 ms360 ms441 and all I cut is my firewood LOL,probley ought to buy and ebay it!

Latest posts

Back