stihl MS 391 VS MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A broke in 362 will out cut a 391 all day long, it takes around 12-15 tanks for either saw to get broke in, don't let the cc's fool you, the 362 has different porting and timing, full pro contruction, split mag case saw, the 391 is a clamshell design, the 362 will develop more power. Same with the prior models, in our wood business we have a 361 (pro saw, predecessor to the 362 that had cut prolly four hundred cord plus in four and a half seasons without an issue, one spark plug, I have cut beside 390's and 391's and it just outperforms them period. 80.00 over the 20 year life of the saw figures out about 4.00 year money well spent imho

How does the ms360 compare to the 362?

I understand your confusion .I started with 3 choices MS 391 - MS 362 and Dolmar 6400 .

How does the ms360 compare to the 362?
I have both, as well as a 361, 262's, 357's. The 362 has a little broader power band and is a little smoother.The 360 is a pound lighter and feels like a smaller saw. I prefer the 360 (036) over the 362, and prefer a 262 over any of these other models listed.

I'm 90% sure it will be the Dolmar. My better half told me she's buying me a saw tomorrow for xmas. Ain't she wonderful

thats what im trying to decide.. the dealer i was at said you cant go wrong with either saw but the pro will last a bit longer and is a pound lighter.. there is only like $80 difference in price

For just an $80 difference in price, what are you still doing here? Go get that 362. It's a much better saw, and you will appreciate that every single time you run it.

In the book it says the 391 has 64.1 cc and 4.4 bhp and the 362 is 59cc but 4.6 bhp is that much of a difference to me it seems the 391 has more power but i could be wrong..

Max hp specs is telling just what happens at a certain rpm number - it is far from the full story.

Typically, the "power band" is more effective on the pro saws than on the lesser ones - and I would be surpriced if that isn't the case here as well....

Last edited:
If there is only $80 difference where you're at like others have said it is a good deal. $150 diference around here . $560 for 391 vs $710 for 362

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 362's put out more oil than the 390's?

I run a MM'd 310 and the slow flowing oil is by far my biggest complaint, the little weep hole for oil just does not cut it in bigger wood.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 362's put out more oil than the 390's?

I run a MM'd 310 and the slow flowing oil is by far my biggest complaint, the little weep hole for oil just does not cut it in bigger wood.

According to the chart the MS290,310,390 put out min of 6 and max of 17.5 cm(3)/min and the MS362 is min of 5.5 and max of 15. So it looks like technically no the 390 oils more.

According to the chart the MS290,310,390 put out min of 6 and max of 17.5 cm(3)/min and the MS362 is min of 5.5 and max of 15. So it looks like technically no the 390 oils more.

What I find is 7-16ml/min for the 362 and 391 at 9000rpm, and 8-13 for the 390, but who knows what the truth is?

Structurally speaking I'm not a fan of the plastic bearing cages in the 391.

Stihl "clamshell" designs used to have a metal "shell" that cover those, even though the case itself is plastic - but it looks like they also (finally) found that the metal "shell" (insert really) in a plastic case was not really a good idea....:laugh::laugh:

Stihl "clamshell" designs used to have a metal "shell" that cover those, even though the case itself is plastic - but it looks like they also (finally) found that the metal "shell" (insert really) in a plastic case was not really a good idea....:laugh::laugh:

What makes your clamshell 339 superior vs the stihl design?

What makes your clamshell 339 superior vs the stihl design?

I never said that one was a really good design, but at least the "shell" is a part of a partial magnesium case, that the saw is built around - about like the MS270 and 280.
The "shell" isn't just a stray piece of metal in a plastic case.

I never said that one was a really good design, but at least the "shell" is a part of a partial magnesium case, that the saw is built around - about like the MS270 and 280.
The "shell" isn't just a stray piece of metal in a plastic case.

What design is better or the inherent weaknesses in your opinion of the clamshell design of a 025 vs a husky 350? What issues have you seen with the metal crankcase cap design of say a 025 vs the semi clamshell design on a MS270, MS280?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back