stihl MS 391 VS MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What design is better or the inherent weaknesses in your opinion of the clamshell design of a 025 vs a husky 350? What issues have you seen with the metal crankcase cap design of say a 025 vs the semi clamshell design on a MS270, MS280?

The weakness of the 250 (025) is the performance (compared to specs), and the overwhelmingly "plasticy" feeling, everything feels like it bends as soon as you touch it. The 270/280 is sturdier, but both the plastic and the spring AV is too soft anyway. A major weakness with the 270 and 280 is that they are way to heavy for the performance (specially the 270), but still not as bad as the 290.
The 350 is not a clamshell, so you can mount much better top ends on it, and I have never heard of an issue related to the bearings being partly cased in plastic (it is bound to have happened though?) - actually that is what Stihl also are doing with the 391 and 311 by now (but still with clamshell style top ends). Where do you think they learned that from?

Stihl "clamshell" designs used to have a metal "shell" that cover those, even though the case itself is plastic - but it looks like they also (finally) found that the metal "shell" (insert really) in a plastic case was not really a good idea....:laugh::laugh:

You want to go down these road again ?

Want me to pull some of your quotes up again ?

You want to go down these road again ?

Want me to pull some of your quotes up again ?

Well, by now it is so obvious that you and that other one (Brad S?) were wrong, so there hardly is more reason to go there - once again; what the saw brands call the parts is not the issue, but what they actually do (and are). A small "shell" or bearing cage/cover will never be the case of a saw.

Btw, I can read the posts I choose to, even though I have you on ignore (you are one of two at the moment, mostly there has been zero on that "list"). The way to "qualify" is partly extremely useless posting, but that alone isn't really enough...

Last edited:
Just ordered the 362 will be in tomorrow thanks everyone for all the help!!!

Congrats on the new saw! What bar and chain combo did you get? I ran the rollomatic E 20" with 33RS chain. It balanced nicely, and cut quickly.

Congratulations. I have a MS362 and love it. Indeed it is a tight race in the 60cc class. It will command a 20" bar. It will pull a 25" but not nearly as well as the 20. Consider a skip link chain if using a 25. Indiansprings, your opinion please.

I would run a 20" on it, at least until it breaks in. Like others said, it takes 15-20 tanks so start getting broken in good. Really ain't fully broken in until around 25 IMO. If you want to, you can mod the muffler and get alot of gains from the 362. They are really awesome saws when broken in and muff modded. When they get the m-tronic then watch out 562xp :D

I would run a 20" on it, at least until it breaks in. Like others said, it takes 15-20 tanks so start getting broken in good. Really ain't fully broken in until around 25 IMO. If you want to, you can mod the muffler and get alot of gains from the 362. They are really awesome saws when broken in and muff modded. When they get the m-tronic then watch out 562xp :D

I would prefere 16 - 18" bars, even if it is run in - but each to their own (and their cutting needs). :biggrin:

Of course a 362CM will never be a 562xp, and even less a 560xp, - but that's a different topic.....

Last edited:
The weakness of the 250 (025) is the performance (compared to specs), and the overwhelmingly "plasticy" feeling, everything feels like it bends as soon as you touch it. The 270/280 is sturdier, but both the plastic and the spring AV is too soft anyway. A major weakness with the 270 and 280 is that they are way to heavy for the performance (specially the 270), but still not as bad as the 290.
The 350 is not a clamshell, so you can mount much better top ends on it, and I have never heard of an issue related to the bearings being partly cased in plastic (it is bound to have happened though?) - actually that is what Stihl also are doing with the 391 and 311 by now (but still with clamshell style top ends). Where do you think they learned that from?
I have not of any inherent weaknesses/issues with the modular/clamshell motor design of the 025 or the semi clamshell design of like a 339, 025, 270, etc and I don't think you have either. My questions had nothing to do with performance, feel, weight, etc. To be quite honest with you, the 029/290 has a much sturdier/non plasticy feel to it than a 291 imo.

I have not of any inherent weaknesses/issues with the modular/clamshell motor design of the 025 or the semi clamshell design of like a 339, 025, 270, etc and I don't think you have either. My questions had nothing to do with performance, feel, weight, etc. To be quite honest with you, the 029/290 has a much sturdier/non plasticy feel to it than a 291 imo.

I haven't even touched (or even seen "live") a 291 yet, even though they have been listed as availiable for a while. I don't think the "dealers" are too enthusiastic - remember the 290 never was offered here...

Now the 390 was here, and should feel just like the 290 - and it felt just as appallingly "soft" as the 250 (+ of course overweight as well).

Last edited:
Well, by now it is so obvious that you and that other one (Brad S?) were wrong, so there hardly is more reason to go there - once again; what the saw brands call the parts is not the issue, but what they actually do (and are). A small "shell" or bearing cage/cover will never be the case of a saw.

Btw, I can read the posts I choose to, even though I have you on ignore (you are one of two at the moment, mostly there has been zero on that "list"). The way to "qualify" is partly extremely useless posting, but that alone isn't really enough...

Good that you have me on you ignore list :cool2:

I am proud of you for buying and spending the money on the 362. Great Saw!!!! Unless you straight gas it or drive over it you will be amazed at how much wood you are still cutting with it 10 years from now.

If possible try to find someone who has muffler modded theirs and run it against yours. The muffler mod on the 361 and 362 makes a huge difference. The throttle response alone is worth the muffler mod. I have a lot of saws in this size range and never used my 361 until my brother muffler modded the saw. I could not believe how resticted the exhaust was on the 361. It's not even the same saw after the muffler mod. The 362 with your bar and chain set up is one of the most balanced saws I have ever used. There have been several people stating the break in process. Listen to what they are telling you. The saw will really come alive after 10 to 15 tanks of fuel throught it.

I was at my sthil dealer today,he has a hardware store and sell a little of everything,anyway,he has a ms 362 he repossed,it needs cleaning said he had tuned it,has a 20in bar,the chain looked almost new,he said he would take 200.00 otd

Thanks for hooking me up. :msp_biggrin: Pictures attached. Now I need a little help from you Stihl guys. The combo switch does not work except fast idle and choke. I have to choke it to kill it; otherwise it is running at fast idle??? (maybe about half throttle). I hope it is a simple fix. Is it? And how? Thanks, I got to leave for work so I'll check in later. Thanks again woodcuter for the lead. :msp_smile: Ron

View attachment 270621View attachment 270622View attachment 270623View attachment 270624

... Now I need a little help from you Stihl guys. The combo switch does not work except fast idle and choke. I have to choke it to kill it; otherwise it is running at fast idle??? (maybe about half throttle). I hope it is a simple fix. Is it? And how? ... Ron

I figured it out when I compared it to my other 362. The ground wire was run wrong and the spring clip wouldn't stay in place as a result. I got that all squared away. I noticed that the inner air filter was AWOL. I ordered a new one. With all these little glitches I pulled the muffler to look inside. Piston looked great so hopefully by Saturday I'll be good to go. Ron

Cool that you found the reason yourself, as i couldn't figure out what was wrong.

The common trouble with the Stihl combo switch is that people don't know that they are supposed to grip the rear handle and press the throttle "trigger", to set it in "high idle" or "on choke". It is very inconvenient, and many newbs that didn't read the user manual don't know - so they destroy the switches by forcing them down to those positions.
It is a seriously bad design, as the right hand has no business back there at that point, except for that, unless you dropstart with the right hand on the rear handle, and the left on the starter rope (I don't think that is too common)....

ST, I'm no fan of the "standard" Stihl switch either. They don't always shut off but I like the old MAC arrangement with a single function switch on the handle.

I know these Stihls aren't your favorite saws, but since I have gotten such good service out of a 036Pro, new saws are so expensive and 361s seem to be few and far between I have now picked up two used MS 362s for weekend loaner saws. Ron

ST, I'm no fan of the "standard" Stihl switch either. They don't always shut off but I like the old MAC arrangement with a single function switch on the handle.

I know these Stihls aren't your favorite saws, but since I have gotten such good service out of a 036Pro, new saws are so expensive and 361s seem to be few and far between I have now picked up two used MS 362s for weekend loaner saws. Ron
The last Stihl design I got any positive feelings for is the 361, but I understand that it is quite important that they are the oreiginal German made version (like mine), and not the US version, made in Virginia Beach. The parts that are different are just the cylinder and the muffler, nothing more. Nobody ever was able to tell what the difference with the cylinder is...:bang:

Ron you gonna like them 362 port of them if you want to wear a big grin around for a wile.Mine still makes me smile.

Latest posts

Back