stihl MS 391 VS MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool that you found the reason yourself, as i couldn't figure out what was wrong.

The common trouble with the Stihl combo switch is that people don't know that they are supposed to grip the rear handle and press the throttle "trigger", to set it in "high idle" or "on choke". It is very inconvenient, and many newbs that didn't read the user manual don't know - so they destroy the switches by forcing them down to those positions.
It is a seriously bad design, as the right hand has no business back there at that point, except for that, unless you dropstart with the right hand on the rear handle, and the left on the starter rope (I don't think that is too common)....

You mean there is another way to start one. The method you described is more common, at least to me, than you might think.

Ron you gonna like them 362 port of them if you want to wear a big grin around for a wile.Mine still makes me smile.

Maybe one day. Right now the primary use of both will be in the hands of relatively inexperienced cutters who volunteer at our local firewood ministry and who can put up with me. I have owned a 036Pro since new (still stock) and I can't be more pleased with it. My first 362 seems to have more grunt (or maybe I should say a broader powerband) than my 036Pro which should make life a little easier for the newbie and for the saw. I may check into a MM. Noise is no problem as I usually wake everybody up anyway with an old MAC. Ron

Maybe one day. Right now the primary use of both will be in the hands of relatively inexperienced cutters who volunteer at our local firewood ministry and who can put up with me. I have owned a 036Pro since new (still stock) and I can't be more pleased with it. My first 362 seems to have more grunt (or maybe I should say a broader powerband) than my 036Pro which should make life a little easier for the newbie and for the saw. I may check into a MM. Noise is no problem as I usually wake everybody up anyway with an old MAC. Ron

A MM is easy on these saw's i just opened up the stock port they sound really sweet.

Here is a couple pic's Ron
100_1294.jpg

100_1293.jpg

The 362 is a great saw, just make sure your filter is the newer style with the metal tabs, I personally like running this class of saw with a 18" bar and 8 pin sprocket, but it certainly is a great performer with a 20" and 7 pin, and yes it will run a 25" bar, you won't have a run away but it will do just fine, while I have ran several 362's I run my 361 more just because it's been one of my favorites every since I bought it, when I use a 25" on it I do run full skip on it and it does extremely well, it does fine with normal rsc, if a person is going to run a 25" all the time you need a 70cc saw anyway, but for occaisional use a 362 is just fine. We just never see them come back in, guys will come in and buy the outer air filter but we just never work on them. I used to think my 361 was stronger but after running some 362's with signifigant run time on them that opinion has changed, the 362 just has more power and bottom end than the 361 and in my mind it speaks volumes as the 361 is one of my all time favorite saws.

The 362 is a great saw, just make sure your filter is the newer style with the metal tabs, I personally like running this class of saw with a 18" bar and 8 pin sprocket, but it certainly is a great performer with a 20" and 7 pin, and yes it will run a 25" bar, you won't have a run away but it will do just fine, while I have ran several 362's I run my 361 more just because it's been one of my favorites every since I bought it, when I use a 25" on it I do run full skip on it and it does extremely well, it does fine with normal rsc, if a person is going to run a 25" all the time you need a 70cc saw anyway, but for occaisional use a 362 is just fine. We just never see them come back in, guys will come in and buy the outer air filter but we just never work on them. I used to think my 361 was stronger but after running some 362's with signifigant run time on them that opinion has changed, the 362 just has more power and bottom end than the 361 and in my mind it speaks volumes as the 361 is one of my all time favorite saws.

Thanks. I ordered the filter off eBay so 10 to 1 it is not the newer style. We'll see. I have put many "miles" on my 036Pro with a 25" but it is much happier with a 20". Do you recommend the MM or just leave them stock? Ron

Back