stihl ms 660 can't get drum off clutch!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what say you about using an impact driver to release the nut after stopping the piston or jus' giver by hand?

the rope and a good crank got it!
wonder if i'll be able to figure out how to put this beast back together...............

Leak is often the tank vent getting stuck, tank will pressurize as it warms up and push oil out the oiler hole.

thank you that's handy to know. is it as simple as cleaning the vent?
just last night i managed to replace the clutch and i got'er back together so i will see if it is actually leaking or if that was just because i was pulling it apart.
i'm gonna fire it up within the hour (just got up) and see what happens.................... then i'm onto a 090 av someone gave me, clutch needs to be done on that one too
i'm sure i'll be starting a new thread on that one as well.
thanks again for the input, really appreciate the help here

hi everyone,
newbie rookie hoping for help.
been on the site for a couple of daze and all of a sudden i bought i used ms660 for $450CAN
only to realize it needs work!
want to replace the clutch, so far got the clip and 2 other pieces off(wish i knew what they were called), the drum starts to come off then becomes stuck?
do i need to use force or is there something i am missing?
thanks

For some reason i'm having a similar problem with my 660's drum. Only difference is the chain brakes not on so I have no idea why the drum's not coming off. :(

For some reason i'm having a similar problem with my 660's drum. Only difference is the chain brakes not on so I have no idea why the drum's not coming off. :(
good day,
my chain brake was never on, it just took a bit of jiggin' cause of alot of gunk buildup, without much effort it wiggled off........
the clutch came off just as easy with the rope trick , just beware you have to have the piston in the right position if you go that way.

good day,
my chain brake was never on, it just took a bit of jiggin' cause of alot of gunk buildup, without much effort it wiggled off........
the clutch came off just as easy with the rope trick , just beware you have to have the piston in the right position if you go that way.

Yes finally got it :) When I tried to get it off yesterday it was right after I ran it but I wouldn't've thought that would make and difference. Either way she's off. :)

Yes finally got it :) When I tried to get it off yesterday it was right after I ran it but I wouldn't've thought that would make and difference. Either way she's off. :)
so far so good then...........
this was my first clutch job, she was a beauty!
plenty of resources and help around here, much thanks to all who have helped me so far!

Ya never did say what part of the great white north you a at??
BTW just 1/2 rebuilding two saws 066 660.
BBB
slocan valley is where i be at, 45min out of nelson................
my saw hobby is on hold ,although i did get that ms 660 going, now i have 090 i need a clutch for.......
fixed a saw for a buddy and have a pioneer that needs help....just gotta make some time

slocan valley is where i be at, 45min out of nelson................
my saw hobby is on hold ,although i did get that ms 660 going, now i have 090 i need a clutch for.......
fixed a saw for a buddy and have a pioneer that needs help....just gotta make some time
Spent lot of time in Nelson, been your way lots
BBB

Take the screws out of the pump and remove it while apart ,clean the surface where oil goes into the rubber oil hose real good ,and the surface on the hose ,sometimes baked on crud gets in there and oil will seep ,push on the rubber hose flange with a screwdriver ,if it is hard and brittle replace it ,if squishy still , run it ,just clean it up good first ,also the oil vent is behind the tin chain guide cover i think ,if crud gets in the spring it will drip oil there also .

Take the screws out of the pump and remove it while apart ,clean the surface where oil goes into the rubber oil hose real good ,and the surface on the hose ,sometimes baked on crud gets in there and oil will seep ,push on the rubber hose flange with a screwdriver ,if it is hard and brittle replace it ,if squishy still , run it ,just clean it up good first ,also the oil vent is behind the tin chain guide cover i think ,if crud gets in the spring it will drip oil there also .
thanks for the advise, i believe i'm gonna drain the oil tank and with a low pressure compressor blow it out and see what happens.....

Back