Stihl MS 661 delayed till 2015 in USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say it sounds different than a 660, cuts faster than a 660, chokes different. I haven't ran it a lot as I have a 36 inch bar on it and haven't needed a mid sized saw for a bit. I need to run a few more tanks thru it to decide if I like it or not. I kill tree's professionally and its a great ground saw but can be a pain in the ass for a air saw. Stall out where my 660's will idle all day. Wont rev out right off the bat like a 660.

I will say it sounds different than a 660, cuts faster than a 660, chokes different. I haven't ran it a lot as I have a 36 inch bar on it and haven't needed a mid sized saw for a bit. I need to run a few more tanks thru it to decide if I like it or not. I kill tree's professionally and its a great ground saw but can be a pain in the ass for a air saw. Stall out where my 660's will idle all day. Wont rev out right off the bat like a 660.

I thought the throttle response was supposed to be spot on?

Takes longer to clean out at max rpm......... hmmmmm, sounds like its is very tight and needs broke in, lots of new saws I sell do the same thing until 15 to 20 gallons of fuel is burnt, then the really wake up. I see this more on larger displacement saws like 75 cc or larger

seen a 661 at the local stihl dealer up the road from me thought its a bit big for what i need but i can say it doesn't feel as heavy as the 660 for some reason.
and at close to 1300$ its out of my price range.

seen a 661 at the local stihl dealer up the road from me thought its a bit big for what i need but i can say it doesn't feel as heavy as the 660 for some reason.
and at close to 1300$ its out of my price range.
$1300 for the brown sweat shirt, like Shelby has, and the saw is free. :laugh:

I'm not convinced it cuts any faster than a 660 with muffler mod, will have to wait for the timed cuts from some folks here, but there AV will be welcomed. Also not sure why these newer M-tronic saws have a longer break-in period? I care more about the sound, so its sounds different means not better and maybe not as good as the 660 with muffler mod? Personally for me its tough to beat the crackle of an old 041 at idle, though early 10mm 044 and 372xp 75cc, and old 046 all sound great to me as well. All these pro saws cut good, so its the small stuff that separates them.

Latest posts

Back