Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call me crazy or stupid Mr. funky ...........
After seeing how my 661 ran with the maxflow air filter, I wonder if you wouldn't mind doing a little test when you get the 661 back ?

Real easy, pull off the air filter and see if it still bogs. You could install just the cover to keep out the large stuff, and a good sharp chain will keep the fines down to a minimum.

After seeing how my 661 ran with the maxflow air filter, I wonder if you wouldn't mind doing a little test when you get the 661 back ?

Real easy, pull off the air filter and see if it still bogs. You could install just the cover to keep out the large stuff, and a good sharp chain will keep the fines down to a minimum.

How did you keep the max flow on ? ..i havent tried it yet , did you use the filter nut from the 661 or somefin else ?

Im willing to try anything at this point

is the 461 bogless??? If so I might just have to bite the bullet and trade the 661 in on one

I haven't had any bogging issues with it. My offer was to help, if needed, while your 661 issue was being dealt with. Fallers around here almost exclusively run the 461R, if they're running a Stihl.

If you get a 461 ,you will not like it limbing unless you put a 460 coil in it ,the stock coil is fine for bucking ,but walking down a tree limbing the rpm's bounce all over off the rev limiter

How did you keep the max flow on ? ..i havent tried it yet , did you use the filter nut from the 661 or somefin else ?
Took a few minutes but I like how it came out.
Max flow don't have an internal frame, so I used the HD2 (GASP)
Had to open the hole in the max flow plate for the 661 knob to fit, and drilled some holes into the HD2

Attachments

• 661 Max Flow a.jpg
    661 Max Flow a.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 661 Max Flow c.jpg
    661 Max Flow c.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
Took a few minutes but I like how it came out.
Max flow don't have an internal frame, so I used the HD2 (GASP)
Had to open the hole in the max flow plate for the 661 knob to fit, and drilled some holes into the HD2

Cool man , is that belray filter oil ? .. i have summadat...and the uni from baileys.

Likely because it was designed to run very lean when not under feedback control as a default setting in order to modify idle/low-rpm emissions. The techs probably are figuring figuring that saws are run either W.O.T. or idle so to combat that they simply made a lean default not counting on people blipping the throttle to maintain rpm (and oil especially with "E" oilers). The Tech's statement about that being the factory setting is likely correct, although I bet something is still amiss with your specifically. I would almost wonder about a small crankcase leak or a possible fuel restriction.
Well, it's just a carb with an added system to adjust the mixture under certain limited conditions. When the simplistic control system can figure out what the mixture is by looking at the rpm then it can compensate. When it can't then it's just a carb, every bit as inaccurate as any other chainsaw carb (which is pretty awful).

I don't know if this system can control mixture at idle, but changing throttle position would be extremely difficult for such a system to deal with so I'd assume it is open loop then. The reasons it could be lean when not being controlled are exactly the same as they would be in any other chainsaw. To me it sounds like the L fuel circuit is too lean, so I'd look at why that is.

The saw does not run lean at idle all the time, you can hear it fatten up the mix after it does its lean idle down from full throttle. If the saw is let idle for several minutes is sounds just fine, no lean surging. Its just above idle that needs richened up. My limbing style confuses the saw. I hit the trigger full throttle but before it actually hits max rpm I already release the trigger. so when the limb in question is cut the saw is turning about 8500 to 9000 rpm. From the sounds of the stihl rep, the saw cant retune without hitting full throttle and max rpm and load. That causes a tune issue because the m-tronic cant figure out what to do I guess. Is the 661 mtronic that much different than the 241cm?

These guys are defending the m-tronic, I believe It is the m-tronic causing the problem, if this saw had an screwdriver carb this thread would have never been started
Sure looks like the 661 could be converted to a normal coil and carb to me if could find one that would fit .

Here is an idea, I hear that the ignition modules change timing, mabie this isn't a lean bog, but a transistor sticking in the module causing too retarded or advanced timing which in turn is causing a bog. I had a 266xp once with a sheared flywheel key, that caused the saw to bog off idle

Back