Stihl MS170/180 Handle replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrillPhil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there some sort of special way to put them on, or just brute dexterity and strength of hands? No matter what I try I cant seem to get it together, except the bottom one that's different than the other two.

Personally i have never had a problem, i would suggest oil on the av mounts but the oil may cause the rubber to deteriorate. Sometimes i use a blunt object and haven't had any breakages. Anyone ever thought of using K-Y jelly?, water based so won't hurt the rubber. lol

Lmao

The girlfriend did leave some cocoa butter oil over here... No but seriously there are no screws or anything they're just supposed to pop into place. Gonna eat lunch and try once more. Maybe with cocoa butter, lol.

I'm not having any trouble with the ones connecting the handle, I am however having trouble getting the ones inside on.

Maybe I'm trying to do it backwards?

Wouldn't be the first time.

Also, I do not have astroglide or ky. On the rare occasion, (ie:not the rare occasion because that is daily) when there is not enough lubrication; I'm like Brad myself, I just put a lil spit on it and it'll work its way in there.

Last edited:
All this talk of "doing it backwards" and "KY jelly" - I thought this was a mans website - this is all getting a bit gay............darlings:)

Spud

Try silicone lubricant..........for the saw I meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My comments, although containing double entendres, were strictly heterosexual.

The best rubber lube is either tire mount lube or soapy water. Since I have a motorcycle tire machine I always have the mount lube around.

To be serious, I have just stripped and rebuilt an MS170 and the handle is a bit interesting, it is a case of putting the lube of your choice on the AV rubbers, getting the handle in to the position where the rubbers are close to their mounting hole and then easing them in to place with a blunt flat screwdriver and when in place, replacing the plastic bungs.

Good luck - need four hands for that job

Spud

I have tried putting the rubber things on the saw first rather than the handle, putting the handle on with the rubber things in, either way I end up with the av mounts that will only go in halfway sideways. :/

Except for the piece that has you pop the little white thing in, that was very easy.

Back