Stihl MS201T Replacing the 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is a huge chance for others to break into the market here.

You could be right.

Time will tell..

I just got a quote on 200T this past week... to pick up another one.

Now the US will be likely first place to get the 201T.. so we could still ship you one from Canada :) Would cost you more though as our saws are always more money for some reason?? Even though our dollar is at par with U.S. dollar.. in fact over past month it has been higher than U.S. dollar at times.. and still our saws cost more. (or I think they do.. what does at 200T cost in U.S.?)

We don't have the 261 here yet.. but my dealer said it is coming likely mid-year.

Have any of you guys run the Echo 360t? and echo has a new top handle comming as well. The 360t has started showing up more and more around here.

I know it is not a 200t but it is also half the price! It might be however a good alternative to the 201t along with the echo the 2138 jonsered is a strong runner.

The extra pound doesn't sound good, but the saw could use some improvements. For instance, the oil cap, antivibe, handle spacing, and ergonomics, could all be improved dramatically.

I want to buy another 200t, but have been waiting for a new version, just hope they get it right, well close enough anyway.

Honestly, my 192T doesn't have any of the issues the 200T does, just add a couple pounds of toughness and you'll have the new 201T, I hope anyway.

The extra pound doesn't sound good, but the saw could use some improvements. For instance, the oil cap, antivibe, handle spacing, and ergonomics, could all be improved dramatically.

I want to buy another 200t, but have been waiting for a new version, just hope they get it right, well close enough anyway.

Honestly, my 192T doesn't have any of the issues the 200T does, just add a couple pounds of toughness and you'll have the new 201T, I hope anyway.

Interesting, as the 200T has not given any issues.. other than one that needed a carb replacement. The 192 was in shop half the time.

I know it is not a 200t but it is also half the price! It might be however a good alternative to the 201t along with the echo the 2138 jonsered is a strong runner.

Never ran or seen anybody with a Jonsered. The Husqvarna makes a decent top handled saw as well.

For what you pay for it, the 360T is a good saw.. and IMHO better than the 192T.

Echo's new CS-355T has decent looking specs but if the power of the new
MS-201t is true it will be hard to beat even with a weight increase. Although the specs for the Husq. T540XP aren't out yet.

Echo's new CS-355T has decent looking specs but if the power of the new
MS-201t is true it will be hard to beat even with a weight increase. Although the specs for the Husq. T540XP aren't out yet.

Here is some info:

Suspect it is farily accurate but not directly from Husqvarna site, they did reference a Husqvarna link for more info, so will check that out tool.

Darn.. might have to get one of them orange top handled saws by looking at this.. if it is anywhere near as good as it looks.. course have not seen 201T yet either.

===================================================================

Husqvarna, leader in outdoor power products announced its brand new professional T540 XP® chainsaw, ready for an early 2011 launch.

Live presentations of the T 540 XP® were given during the recent APF both in the main Husqvarna arena between the daily Husqvarna World 25m Pole Climbing competitions and on the demonstration site.

Designed with the aim of creating the ultimate arborist saw using new eyes, yours and your colleagues. The question was posed to professionals worldwide: “Which features are most important when you choose a saw?” At the top of their list were good balance and ergonomics, a strong, fast engine and low weight.

Developed with and tested by demanding professional users, ensures it meets the expectations required for reliability and robustness in all arborist and utility aerial applications.

The result is the T540 XP®, a combination of great engine performance, reliable and robust design, tremendous balance, optimised ergonomics and low weight. All combine to deliver a top handled chainsaw that is in a class of its own and a pleasure to work with.

The T540XP® has all the features you would have come to expect or demand from the Husqvarna XP designation . High chain speed, superb acceleration, high centre of gravity delivering low gyroscopic forces, air injection and excellent low vibration levels.

Using an X-Torq® engine delivering improved torque and fuel efficiency whilst reducing exhaust emissions, the T540XP is also equipped with AutoTune™. This feature provides optimal engine performance via an automatic engine setting function. No time needs to be spent on carburetor adjustments, as the saw automatically adjusts for differences in fuel, altitude, humidity, temperature and air filter performance.

Weight, balance and cutting accuracy are aided by the new TechLite guide bar. When compared to our previous standard bar, TechLite is 20% lighter with better stiffness, has a 9 tooth nose wheel for improved durability, reduces overall weight, assists in optimising balance and reduces the of chance permanent bar deformation.

Overall features

♣ X-Torq® engine
♣ Well-balanced design
♣ LowVib®
♣ AutoTune™
♣ Double rope eyelet
♣ Top handle in three sizes
♣ Ergonomic design, including an angled front handle and a soft grip rear handle
♣ Quick and easy chain adjustment
♣ Air Injection, resulting in less filter cleanings
♣ Heavy-duty air filters for a long service life
♣ Smart Start® for easy starting
♣ Snap locked cylinder cover for ease of maintenance
♣ Maximum durability for tough applications
♣ Magnesium crankcase
♣ Coloured felling marks

The ergonomic front handle has an increased diameter for better handling and is angled backwards for better reach. Where as the ergonomic top-handle is asymmetric shaped to create a perfect fit in the hand as well as giving good control and grip. The three different sized inserts make it adjustable to the size of the user’s hand.

T540 XP®: 37.7 cc – 1.8 kW (2.4 hp). Weight - 3.6 kg (7.92 lbs).

Last edited:
Here is some info:

Suspect it is farily accurate but not directly from Husqvarna site, they did reference a Husqvarna link for more info, so will check that out tool.

Darn.. might have to get one of them orange top handled saws by looking at this.. if it is anywhere near as good as it looks.. course have not seen 201T yet either.

===================================================================

Husqvarna, leader in outdoor power products announced its brand new professional T540 XP® chainsaw, ready for an early 2011 launch.

Live presentations of the T 540 XP® were given during the recent APF both in the main Husqvarna arena between the daily Husqvarna World 25m Pole Climbing competitions and on the demonstration site.

Designed with the aim of creating the ultimate arborist saw using new eyes, yours and your colleagues. The question was posed to professionals worldwide: “Which features are most important when you choose a saw?” At the top of their list were good balance and ergonomics, a strong, fast engine and low weight.

Developed with and tested by demanding professional users, ensures it meets the expectations required for reliability and robustness in all arborist and utility aerial applications.

The result is the T540 XP®, a combination of great engine performance, reliable and robust design, tremendous balance, optimised ergonomics and low weight. All combine to deliver a top handled chainsaw that is in a class of its own and a pleasure to work with.

The T540XP® has all the features you would have come to expect or demand from the Husqvarna XP designation . High chain speed, superb acceleration, high centre of gravity delivering low gyroscopic forces, air injection and excellent low vibration levels.

Using an X-Torq® engine delivering improved torque and fuel efficiency whilst reducing exhaust emissions, the T540XP is also equipped with AutoTune™. This feature provides optimal engine performance via an automatic engine setting function. No time needs to be spent on carburetor adjustments, as the saw automatically adjusts for differences in fuel, altitude, humidity, temperature and air filter performance.

Weight, balance and cutting accuracy are aided by the new TechLite guide bar. When compared to our previous standard bar, TechLite is 20% lighter with better stiffness, has a 9 tooth nose wheel for improved durability, reduces overall weight, assists in optimising balance and reduces the of chance permanent bar deformation.

Overall features

♣ X-Torq® engine
♣ Well-balanced design
♣ LowVib®
♣ AutoTune™
♣ Double rope eyelet
♣ Top handle in three sizes
♣ Ergonomic design, including an angled front handle and a soft grip rear handle
♣ Quick and easy chain adjustment
♣ Air Injection, resulting in less filter cleanings
♣ Heavy-duty air filters for a long service life
♣ Smart Start® for easy starting
♣ Snap locked cylinder cover for ease of maintenance
♣ Maximum durability for tough applications
♣ Magnesium crankcase
♣ Coloured felling marks

The ergonomic front handle has an increased diameter for better handling and is angled backwards for better reach. Where as the ergonomic top-handle is asymmetric shaped to create a perfect fit in the hand as well as giving good control and grip. The three different sized inserts make it adjustable to the size of the user’s hand.

T540 XP®: 37.7 cc – 1.8 kW (2.4 hp). Weight - 3.6 kg (7.92 lbs).

Thanks, that looks better! :biggrinbounce2:

I cant seem to find picks of the new stihl or husqvarna th. I especially wanna see the ugly orange one

really surprised it took this long.... MS200T was getting long in tooth.
it's been a long run ... fact that 200T's successor looks to be a lesser saw makes no difference to Stihl. it's marketing campaign will be whooping it up about all the newer/better features.

look for the same to happen to MS660 with it's superior screw on caps to go away.

wonder how much of this change is due to EPA vs marketing driven decisions.

wonder how much of this change is due to EPA vs marketing driven decisions.

Suspect most if not all of it is.. why would they change something that is working. Now others may build better top handled saws, but if so this does not seem to be addressing that aspect of it.. not bigger - more hp - etc.. pretty much same specs for the most part (other than a bit more weight)..

Never ran or seen anybody with a Jonsered. The Husqvarna makes a decent top handled saw as well.

For what you pay for it, the 360T is a good saw.. and IMHO better than the 192T.

The 192 and 019 series have been a mixed bag of $900 lucky dips. I know guys that have had them forever and had good runs, and others that spend more time on the workbench than worksite.
The 350 and 360t are great saws and offer outstanding bang for buck, if they could make there brake feel like it was designed to be used, it would be MUCH better. Gets my vote for worst brake on modern pro saw.

If echo improved the brake and upped the cc a tad, it could be a threat to the tubby 201t.

Now if husky make the 346xpt THAT would friggen ROCK!
Bring on the husky 346 tophandle! Let fly the dogs of takedowns!

One think to ponder is the fuel loading for the 201t, if its more thrifty on fuel, perhaps you will be carrying less fuel weight to get the job done.

Last edited:
Back