Stihl MS241C-M vs Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedMax USA doesn't show a HGZ4300, just the 4500. Specs are awfully close to the 543.

Apart from color and shape of covers, the only differense a close comparison showed was a plastic chain catcher on the 4300 and a metal one on the 543xp. It may well be a production change between the compared saws though, not necessarily a lasting differense?
This was a while ago, so both were of very early production.

The 025 is compact and a very easy saw to work with and they are fairly snappy for what they are. I wouldn't get in a hurry to sell it. I keep 1 in my line up because it makes it makes life easier in a lot of my situations and easy and inexpensive to have along .

Thanks, after looking at several options, I ended the auction on the 025, and I am going to keep it. I appreciate all of the suggestions, and if anyone is in the market for a GZ4500, there's a new one on eBay for $325.

I bought a 241 for myself at Christmas. I sold it. There just wasn't enough difference in weight of a 50cc saw, yet a marked difference in power. That is where the Redmax has an advantage the others do not.

It is kind of sad to see you post this. At one point when the only way to get one was to import a German made/assembled one you asked folks to send letters to Stihl USA asking them to import or produce them here. Pretty much that, I did so and they said they would not bring it to market here in the reply. I went and got a 251 to run the 7 tooth picco rim drive. Which is less advanced but a bigger bore on the same 30mm stroke. The same stroke on my 27cc Stihl gasoline drill by the way.

Whats the difference between the 420 and 421 ? I take it their both Dolmars ?
I am a scavenger, rarely buy new, Stihls are most popular and easiest to turn a dollar on, find parts for and I have less problems then most keeping them fine tuned, but I try different saws also . Have an 5100 s in my work line up I well like. I know of 1 Dolmar dealer about 25 mi and I think there is another the opposite direction a little less then that.
Red Max and some of the other saws mentioned, I have little clues to dealers or parts other then search the internet.

Whats the difference between the 420 and 421 ? I take it their both Dolmars ?
420 is the "old" model with 2.7hp and "old" style airfilter
421 is the second generation with 3hp and newly desigened airfilter

I am not sure what other internal parts are different but the engine is mainly identical. Both models have a cat. But remouving it if you want to is very easy. Personally I didn't! Why? Because I am, contrary to the norm here, never in such a hurry that I cannot spare a few seconds per day that I will be slower.... And further I do notice that the exhaust doesn't smell as strong!

I have a 420 and like it a lot! Actually I like so much that it is the only modern worksaw at my wifes parents place. I put it there last year and it is enough saw for general firewood duties, even though it is "only" the old model. If the occasional large problem tree comes up I still have a bunch of old stihl saws(040, 08, contra, etc.) there. But for more than 90% of the duties needed it is enough. Further it is one of the saws that my wife can and will start without a problem! It has a spring assisted easy start system like many modern saws today as standard. She doesn't like using them but will if needed. So if I am not there and she needs a saw, she has one!

Just went and checked out the 543. Decent saw, but too expensive. $645.99 for it. The stihl is on sale now for $550 and is a real stihl, not another saw in stihl colors.

I was on the hunt quite a few years ago now for the "best" <=9.5# saw. Most 40cc saws can't meet that weight requirement. The best built was a Jonsered 377?, and the strongest was a Ryobi version of the Redmax G400. Next in line was a Redmax 3800. I've always wanted to try a GZ4500. IMHO, there's simply no reason to use a 40cc saw that weighs nearly as much as a much more powerful 50cc saw. That's why I don't own a 241 or 420/421, as great of a saw as they are. To each their own though.

IMHO, there's simply no reason to use a 40cc saw that weighs nearly as much as a much more powerful 50cc saw.
The reason is if I recall correctly for oregon products, 1/4 chain up to 38cc 91 class 3/8lp up to 42cc. At least my reasoning. At what point in diameter does that much more powerful become significant. The amount of time cutting vs the amount of time to re position ones feet and body may not be as high as one suspects typing away.

Both of these this thread is about make the 300 hour epa rating for exhaust compliance. I suppose folks can put in ones that get less and have to use catalysts but keep in mind what is going on.

Back