Stihl MS241C-M vs Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, that is my opinion and i didn't just repeat what i heard. IIRC i stated that opinion here on AS in another thread just a few days after the 543 came out on my phone while standing in front of a 543 at the dealer LOL. i don't care if it's a redmax. really don't at all. my gripe is the earthquake (redmax) feel to them. i really like the running shoe 550 and wish they had made the 543 similar but smaller. at what point does weight not matter though? if i'm running a rear handle i'll run a 550 and skip the smaller rear handles going right to a top handle. a 372 feels light to me LOL.
No offense meant.

My take away from living in the 40cc world:

I currently have a ported 241CM - it pulls a lot like a 50cc saw, but still doesn't quite have the torque the 550 or 261 have. I like it, but if I didn't get it in a trade, I would have a 550xp or 261 now instead. It is a bit overbuilt with a lot of fiddly parts for a 40cc saw, if you ask me, and priced accordingly().

The Dolmar can be made to run, but without lathe work, I dunno how to get enough velocity in the transfers for it to have as strong a top end as other says. But it does pull like a train for a 40cc saw, and you get more of that ported ().

I do not own, but have ran, a few Shindaiwa 452/446 series chassis. The 500P is based on this chassis. It weighs about like a 241, though, and is of professional quality. But there is something about how the chassis handles that I like. If one falls in my lap, I'd be happy.

I can not respect Husky for rebadging the 543 and advertising it the way they are. It's just insulting. But the Zenoah offering looks nice, even if I haven't used it. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

I just spent a week in England doing arborist work. I usually am a forester and firewood hack. So this was a bit of an eye-opener for me. In the woods, I can usually wrestle with a 281, 044, etc etc for quite some time before I grow tired. But being in odd positions much of the day, and forever trying to avoid cutting the wrong things and making pretty pruning cuts in a huge garden on an estate outside of London has made me appreciate having a lighter, more agile saw(even if only by a pound or less). That day the 241CM made a lot of sense, and I was glad I had it. Hell, sometimes I willingly went with an MS171 instead, as it was a better option for the task.

well, that is my opinion and i didn't just repeat what i heard. IIRC i stated that opinion here on AS in another thread just a few days after the 543 came out on my phone while standing in front of a 543 at the dealer LOL. i don't care if it's a redmax. really don't at all. my gripe is the earthquake (redmax) feel to them. i really like the running shoe 550 and wish they had made the 543 similar but smaller. at what point does weight not matter though? if i'm running a rear handle i'll run a 550 and skip the smaller rear handles going right to a top handle. a 372 feels light to me LOL.

:D Exactly - that was my immediate reaction as well!

There is more though, in the same direction, when you look into details like AV, tank caps, lack of AT, and controls. Performance also is a little disappointing, I had hoped that it at least was on level with the ol' 242xp, but not so.

In my book, the 543 doesn't deserve the xp designation - it would have been OK if they didn't put that on it.

In a sense there is agreement on the 543XP. The things I like about the G3800 and GZ400/4000/4500 chassis (as well as the Earthquake copy) are things others don't like, which are mainly associated with the extremely low weight. By making a half-step towards the construction style and pricing of Husqvarna, they've got a saw that is heavier and has lost some of the appeal to those like me that liked the earlier design, but still does not satisfy those that want a Husqvarna.

They should have put AT on a GZ4000/4500 and maybe that offset bore center, plus a second support for the brake handle, and kept it a RedMax. But that would have maintained the situation where Husqvarna didn't have a small saw that could touch a RedMax, so I suppose it was unacceptable. ;)

There will never be another 242xp. I do like the 543 but its just to much money. I also like the cs400 with the muffler modded. The gz4000 was nice I used but I've never owned one.

In a sense there is agreement on the 543XP. The things I like about the G3800 and GZ400/4000/4500 chassis (as well as the Earthquake copy) are things others don't like, which are mainly associated with the extremely low weight. By making a half-step towards the construction style and pricing of Husqvarna, they've got a saw that is heavier and has lost some of the appeal to those like me that liked the earlier design, but still does not satisfy those that want a Husqvarna.

They should have put AT on a GZ4000/4500 and maybe that offset bore center, plus a second support for the brake handle, and kept it a RedMax. But that would have maintained the situation where Husqvarna didn't have a small saw that could touch a RedMax, so I suppose it was unacceptable. ;)

I have to assume you really really really like zenoah/redmax. Perhaps even more then I like husqvarna :) no worries though. I don't hold nothing against ya. ;)
I do in fact like the earthquake, I really do. I just don't like it $600 worth. I like the $40 ones LOL

But if we come back to the topic of copied saws, why on earth did the chinese choose a zenoah model, when all other brands seem to be so much superior...
I mean there is the stihl 024/240 or husqbarna 242xp laying out there for grabs, but no out comes a japanese copy....
I mean one get's the impression they are doing something stupid if we go by general consens here.

:D
deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

But if we come back to the topic of copied saws, why on earth did the chinese choose a zenoah model, when all other brands seem to be so much superior...
I mean there is the stihl 024/240 or husqbarna 242xp laying out there for grabs, but no out comes a japanese copy....
I mean one get's the impression they are doing something stupid if we go by general consens here.

I think they were crazy like a fox!

A lot of comments assume the Chinese clones are all unauthorized copies, but I never believed that in all cases. The Earthquakes have been sold by major retailers - do people really think these large corporations would have exposed themselves by selling stolen versions of a design owned by Husqvarna? Sears sells one of the 45cc Chinese clones of the G5000 family. Zenoah sold the GZ4000 and the Chinese made GZ400. They sell the G621 and the G6200 which are mostly identical ( http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/ ), and I'll bet the G6200 is the same saw as my clone ( http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/porting-a-chinese-g621-clone.253359/ ). Clearly Jenn Feng in Taiwan had an agreement to make saws based on Zenoah designs (but somewhat different).

So my bet is these are in part production agreements with Zenoah from before the sale to Husqvarna, motivated by an attempt to gain market share and production volume. The result is that they now pump out huge volumes of some very good designs, with varying parts and assembly quality.

I think they were crazy like a fox!

A lot of comments assume the Chinese clones are all unauthorized copies, but I never believed that in all cases. The Earthquakes have been sold by major retailers - do people really think these large corporations would have exposed themselves by selling stolen versions of a design owned by Husqvarna? Sears sells one of the 45cc Chinese clones of the G5000 family. Zenoah sold the GZ4000 and the Chinese made GZ400. They sell the G621 and the G6200 which are mostly identical ( http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/products/chainsaws/ ), and I'll bet the G6200 is the same saw as my clone ( http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/porting-a-chinese-g621-clone.253359/ ). Clearly Jenn Feng in Taiwan had an agreement to make saws based on Zenoah designs (but somewhat different).

So my bet is these are in part production agreements with Zenoah from before the sale to Husqvarna, motivated by an attempt to gain market share and production volume. The result is that they now pump out huge volumes of some very good designs, with varying parts and assembly quality.
AS has no need for logic like that.

I think part of the problem people have, is the fact some just look at the numbers on paper, but never actually have any first hand experience to back up their opinions. Others make the assumption everyone wants their saw ported.

I've owned and own several small saw ms211, 3410, 241 and I have a variety of 50cc saw. For some reason I pick up the 241 an awful lot. There's more to it than numbers on paper. Real world use and feel, means more than numbers, or how the saw runs after porting. Let's be honest, some of us have become elitists.

Just because I like having 85-94 cc's of ported Swedish magnesium spinning a crazy-sharp chain around a Sugi bar to do a job any box store 30cc saw could do does not make me an elitist. It means I have a disease.
Or it means you're young and dumb. If a 30cc saw can accomplish the task, wasting time with anything else is simply foolish.

Now I understand playing around cutting cookies and whatnot, but when it comes to actually accomplishing a task, the less stress on the body the better. Have fun cutting twigs with your 90cc saws now, as your body will pay the price for your stupidity later.[emoji6]

I think part of the problem people have, is the fact some just look at the numbers on paper, but never actually have any first hand experience to back up their opinions. Others make the assumption everyone wants their saw ported.

I've owned and own several small saw ms211, 3410, 241 and I have a variety of 50cc saw. For some reason I pick up the 241 an awful lot. There's more to it than numbers on paper. Real world use and feel, means more than numbers, or how the saw runs after porting. Let's be honest, some of us have become elitists.
The 241 is my go to saw I have a bad lower back. The bigger saws dont come out until we need them.

Or it means you're young and dumb. If a 30cc saw can accomplish the task, wasting time with anything else is simply foolish.

Now I understand playing around cutting cookies and whatnot, but when it comes to actually accomplishing a task, the less stress on the body the better. Have fun cutting twigs with your 90cc saws now, as your body will pay the price for your stupidity later.[emoji6]
40 years of it and I can attest to the fact that Andy is right. Try pullstarting them SOB's with an injured hand

Back