Stihl MS250c meltdown, need opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Efisher26

Tinkerer
Reaction score
My buddy bought this used for $150. Cut one small tree, and the new hand tighten system it has (not the 2 bar nuts but the plastic wing nut) broke off. He gave to me to fix. I got the new part and ran it, the bar overheated right away. I removed the clutch and found a lot of melted damage. The oil channel from pump to bar is open, the worm gear for pump is melted, and the clip on worm gear is missing some. Did I mention there's NO needle bearing for the drum, it's just sitting on the shaft. I assume the guy knew what he was selling. It ran perfectly otherwise btw. So now, is it worth fixing, I would need a whole half of case, correct? Keep in mind, I've never gone that deep into a saw before, have dealer fix?

Pics...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
You may be able to clean the case up a bit and make it work though. Maybe someone who has rebuilt one in this condition could chime in. I have seen them melted down much worse than that one. But it's still not good.

That is not a nice thing to happen in such a short time
Best case scenario will be replacement of melted items including crank seal
And worst case is it will turn into a parts saw

I'm sure most if not all the damage happened before he bought it. The brake works fine as is. I figured it wasn't worth fixing, just wanted more opinions, thanks!

You may be able to clean the case up a bit and make it work though. Maybe someone who has rebuilt one in this condition could chime in. I have seen them melted down much worse than that one. But it's still not good.
I don't see how. Unless you can make it work with no oil pump....
Needs a new case,

lots of China junk ones on E-bay. Maybe some guys here have tried one of them.

I don't see how. Unless you can make it work with no oil pump....
Needs a new case,

lots of China junk ones on E-bay. Maybe some guys here have tried one of them.

Yeah, it's a long shot on being able to salvage it for sure.

Kinda funny, I just had a similar situation with a cheapo Homelite. I put the big clutch washer on the wrong side of the clutch and the clutch shredded the case. Luckily I have a case to swap it all back into. A little frustrating though. Point is, if you find a good parts saw, pretty much will just cost time to fix it. I would shelf it until one comes around.

It may look like a daunting task but once you start dismantling it it's not that bad to switch cases if you not in it much buy one of the knock off cases of eBay they come with oil line fuel line already installed. A buddy of mine did his father in laws same basic deal It only took about an hour, I had a used ms 210 case he gave me a 18 pack of PBR for it haha

The oil pump is there still... I fixed a 021 that looked very similar for a friend a few years ago and he is using it even now.
Get the roasted surfaces back into shape using a dremel tool to make sure the new worm gear rotates freely. You may need a new oil seal on the clutch side, though.

The orig oil pump was ground down to the threads, I do believe the new knock off cases I saw have oil pump in them, don't know about the oil tube and pick up in tank. maybe I'll go that route some day.

...looked at pic No. 2 only. The first pic shows the extent of the damage better.
It should be possible to find a new or used case (021 through MS250).

I could be wrong but I thought the ones I saw on ebay had everything a person would want to change when swapping a case already on it. they're priced cheap enough to give it a shot

New cases are availible from stihl I've priced them....... there high. I don't remember the price for sure but I'm thinking 75 or higher, too much for plastic

It was 10 years or so ago, I seem to remember that the replacement housings from Stihl came with the oil pump
in place.
Looking at the ipl, it would indicate that it doesn't come that way, but I seem to remember that it did.

Either way, some one will chime in and tell me that I am wrong...

Latest posts

Back