Stihl MS260 vs. Stihl MS310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO ECHO!!!!!

Sorry, an 18" bar is fine on a 260, more than that, you need more saw. For what you want, it sounds like the 310 will work fine. Jus remeber, it will hold it's value fairly well, so when you sell it to buy the 361 you won't loose too badly:cheers:

GO ECHO!!!!!

Sorry, an 18" bar is fine on a 260, more than that, you need more saw. For what you want, it sounds like the 310 will work fine. Jus remeber, it will hold it's value fairly well, so when you sell it to buy the 361 you won't loose too badly:cheers:

I run a 16 in bar on my 260 pro. And like sawinredneck says , if that woun't do it, I reach for the bigger saw.

For occasional use the 310 would do fine , I agree. But the great thing about the pro saws is you only buy them once. (thank goodness ! )
And every time you use them they pay off. In little ways, true.

I have many friends that run the 310 and 290's, they are all satisfied with them , but they love my pro series saws !
If I had to have just one saw to cut firewood with , I'd get a 361.
Whatever you decide , You can't go wrong with the midrange and up Stihls.:clap:

Jus remeber, it will hold it's value fairly well, so when you sell it to buy the 361 you won't loose too badly:cheers:

AS :spam: Warning!

AS :spam: typically is a plug for a 5100 or a 361... unless you have one, then it red shifts to a 7900 or a 460. :cheers:

Last edited:
AS :spam: Warning!

AS :spam: typically is a plug for a 5100 or a 361... unless you have one, then it red shifts to a 7900 or a 460. :cheers:

Hell I don't care what he buys!! I was just stating that the saws seem to hold a decent value, so when he decides to trade up to a pro saw, of whatever make he chooses, he wont loose a lot of money.

I figure he likes Stihl, so I am sticing with that product line. Now if I were him and looking at that large of wood and wanting to cut a lot, I would go 440 or 460. But thats a lot of saw to buy for limited use, and a 60cc will do the job.

At least the guy has a Honest dealer.

My father in law bought a new saw last year. He called me all excited about it. I asked him what he bought... he said it was just like my saw. (referring to my ms460) when he said it was a ms250 i had to bite my tounge not to laugh. The dealer told him the MS250 was professional model Stihl. They sold it to him with an 18" bar.

It is fine for what he uses it for, but the dealer should not have mislead him.

I know the dealer too, i'm sure he was telling the truth.

Hell I don't care what he buys!! I was just stating that the saws seem to hold a decent value, so when he decides to trade up to a pro saw, of whatever make he chooses, he wont loose a lot of money.

Easy big guy... just razing you... have some beer...

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:

I figure he likes Stihl, so I am sticing with that product line. Now if I were him and looking at that large of wood and wanting to cut a lot, I would go 440 or 460. But thats a lot of saw to buy for limited use, and a 60cc will do the job.
I am going to steal this thread! I happen to like 60cc saws For the size of wood I cut most, they seem great All my friends and family have a 60 cc saw. That includes the 361 not any better than the rest of them if you ask me.My 2159 has under gone a few mods now:hmm3grin2orange: and is a favorite of mine I would like to see a modded 361 if they, meaning my friends got the gut's to do one But stock I don't think it is no screaming hell no better than the rest of them in the real world. All I can say is get out and try them all if the dealer wont't let you don't buy it. But for the life of me I tried them all and really could not tell much diff in stock saws. 361, 357/2156, 359/2159. They are so close. Maybe I just got lucky and had found a very strong 2159 but hey it looks better than the other two!That would be the Stihl and Husky.

At least the guy has a Honest dealer.

My father in law bought a new saw last year. He called me all excited about it. I asked him what he bought... he said it was just like my saw. (referring to my ms460) when he said it was a ms250 i had to bite my tounge not to laugh. The dealer told him the MS250 was professional model Stihl. They sold it to him with an 18" bar.

Yah, I have an 025. It came with the oddball 18 inch 0.063 bar on it, but I swapped it out with a 16 inch picco. The 18 just got in the way waiving it around on that saw. I see these sell on Ebay all the time as "Professional saws", even the 170/180 Cs.

Yah, I have an 025. It came with the oddball 18 inch 0.063 bar on it, but I swapped it out with a 16 inch picco. The 18 just got in the way waiving it around on that saw. I see these sell on Ebay all the time as "Professional saws", even the 170/180 Cs.
Too be Honest I would take a Canadian tire Poulan over a 170/180 but thats just me and what I have seen. Plus I seem to have good luck, or no biased opinion on them Poulans the last of the American saws.

I am going to steal this thread! I happen to like 60cc saws For the size of wood I cut most, they seem great All my friends and family have a 60 cc saw. That includes the 361 not any better than the rest of them if you ask me.My 2159 has under gone a few mods now:hmm3grin2orange: and is a favorite of mine I would like to see a modded 361 if they, meaning my friends got the gut's to do one But stock I don't think it is no screaming hell no better than the rest of them in the real world. All I can say is get out and try them all if the dealer wont't let you don't buy it. But for the life of me I tried them all and really could not tell much diff in stock saws. 361, 357/2156, 359/2159. They are so close. Maybe I just got lucky and had found a very strong 2159 but hey it looks better than the other two!That would be the Stihl and Husky.

Something must be wrong with that 361, the 359 shouldn't be close to it at all......:)

Dull or wrong bar/type of chain, clogged filters, bad gas? Too new (not broken in)? There seems to be a lot of bad rep posting about the 361 here of late on AS from some of the newer members. They are not followers of the Holy Church of Ol' Tom/Da' Jewel like so many of us are.

Where did ol' Tommy Hall wander off to anyway? He would normally be plugging away at a post like this one.

Something must be wrong with that 361, the 359 shouldn't be close to it at all......:)
I think you Stihl heads are all Brainwashed! also really don't think much of the 357 as being much better either. I still would like to see a 361 that has been modded Not just a Muffler mod but some port work.Almost Everyone I know personaly likes Stihl They make a great saw! But is no better than anything else in the real world. Just like you we all have opinions and try different things From what I have seen the Stihls are really no better or worse than other saws. I really hate the little 170/180 Rather have a Poulan than one of those. Never seen a 880 or a 200 in action just making my decision on what I have experienced. I had a 044 heated handles very nice saw! Kinda wish I still had it might not be looking at a 2171 now. I am not against Stihl but think Husky is trying harder to put newer saws on the market. I know the 2159 is not a new saw just for those that were going to comment on that last remark. And notice I lump husky and Jred Together? They are the same except one looks better and has a nicer handle that being the Jred!

Ah a post with common sense I like to see them on here!

Latest posts

Back