Stihl MS290 bar/chain conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipCity

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

First of all, this is a great site! I've found tons of useful information, but still have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any insight the community may have.

I just found a good deal on a Stihl MS290 and pulled the trigger. Only when I got home did I realize that it has a 3/8" .050 bar (Stihl PN 3003 008 8921) and chain with a 7 tooth drive sprocket.

I'd like to get a 16" bar, but want to be able to interchange with the current 20" bar. I wouldn't mind going back to .325" but it seems like a different drive sprocket would be needed for this? Can anyone provide some insight into what my options are here? Am I missing anything? Again, I appreciate any thoughts here!

I'm guessing you have a spur sprocket. Change it over to a rim sprocket and buy the .325 rim. Just a matter of pulling the clip and changing rims to go between pitches when you're switching between bars. Oregon's rim sprocket for that saw is 34162x - it comes with a 3/8 rim. The 7t .325 rim is 11892. (Stihl and others also sell equivalent parts.)

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you have a spur sprocket. Change it over to a rim sprocket and buy the .325 rim. Just a matter of pulling the clip and changing rims to go between pitches when you're switching between bars. Oregon's rim sprocket for that saw is 34162x - it comes with a 3/8 rim. The 7t .325 rim is 11892. (Stihl and others also sell equivalent parts.)

Ahhh that finally made it clear to me, thank you! So if I get the 7t .325 rim Oregon sprocket along with the Oregon 105669 bar/chain combo I think I should be good to go. Just swap out sprocket/bar/chain when going between the two setups. Sound about right? Thanks again.

Edit: Alternatively, if I stuck with the 3/8 rim sprocket currently on the saw, is there a Oregon 16" bar/chain combo that would work?

No way an 8 tooth on an 029

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There are a whole lot of different bar options for that saw - both in .325 and 3/8. If you go to Oregon's website, the product selector will give the main ones from Oregon. Or Bailey's online has a bar selector as well and a pretty good variety of different brands.

Note - you can get 7t or 8t rims in .325 -- 7t gives more torque and 8t more chain speed. Cutting speed is a combination of chain speed, tooth size, bar length, and filing. 3/8 is faster than .325 on a big saw. On a mid range saw, you have to be careful not to get it jammed. I like more torque and I run .325 7t on my 029 Super. A lot of guys run 3/8 7t, which is faster cutting. .325 8t is somewhere in the middle.

No way an 8 tooth on an 029

My saw came with an 8t .325 rim originally - It cut, but I didn't like it. Fine for limbing but jammed easily. Switched to 7t and I liked it much better with the extra torque. I mainly cut firewood.

8x325 is slightly faster than 7x3/8 if the saw can keep up. My 036 pulled the 8x325 great. I grew up on an 029s for 20 years. Torque is more important than chain speed. If there is excess power for the bar size (think 20" on 046) you can think about bumping up the sprocket but if it's even close stick with the lower gear. 50cc saw does not need an 8 pin.

Sorry to add confusion to your situation but, 3/8 rim drums comes in two sizes that will fit the 290/390 series. The OEM size is small-7 spline paired with a 10x13x10 clutch bearing and allows use of all the .325 and 3/8 sprockets. Some 290/390 saws get an MS360 standard-7 spline drum paired with a 10X16X13 bearing put on them just cause they can and the standard-7 spline limits your sprocket options in .325. You want to make sure you are getting the small-7 spline drum and bearing so .325-7 sprockets can be used.

????? That is what Stihl put on the ms290... Worked great for me.
Depends on bar length at someone stated earlier. An 8 tooth on a 20" in hardwood will be a tough tug for the little guy. My .325-7 on an 18" is just about perfect as long as I don't get heavy handed in hardwood.

I got this set a while back from Germany for 95 euros, kit includes bar 16" 3003 000 6313, rim 0000 642 1240, 3x 3617 000 0060 PS3 chains. For that price it is a bargain, and of course local Finnish dealers never heard about it......

Should fit 290

So then to switch between a 16" .325 and a 20 " 3/8, he would have to switch sprockets then?
Easy peasy if he wanted to...maybe 30 seconds extra while changing bars/chains thanks to the inboard clutch. The 290 series has all options available with a small-7 spline rim drum. On the OP's second question, everyone makes a 290 compatible 16" 3/8 bar...Stihl if you want to spend $$$, Oregon Powermatch for value.

Latest posts

Back