Stihl MS290 bar/chain conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are just trying to follow your logic, I guess.....
The OP stated the following...so I gave him the best route to take:
I wouldn't mind going back to .325" but it seems like a different drive sprocket would be needed for this? Can anyone provide some insight into what my options are here? Am I missing anything? Again, I appreciate any thoughts here!

Yeah, all of that is obvious as hell, but you were trying to make some point to the guy over the 8 tooth sprocket,
we are just trying to figure that out.
Others have stated why and I agree that 8 is too much for the 290 as an all around saw. If you are pruning trees, keeping cuts smallish, etc. 8 would not be an issue.

I cannot say really, I have always used the 8 tooth, and it handles it fine. I have one on my old 029 with the smaller piston, and it does good, never had a reason to switch to the 7. But if he went to a rim, it wouldn't be a big issue to get all 3....

in the U.S., they came with a .325 8 tooth sprocket
For friends who were looking new 290 (Farm Boss had mass appeal) I'd recommend stepping up to MS 310 for 40 bucks more. Comes in 3/8 usually rim sproket and pull 20 inch better

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Here's the 290/310/390 factory options...basically you can go .325 7 or 8 tooth as far as Stihl is concerned. 7 will simply keep the limited torque working for you a little longer before bogging, especially with the closed down mufflers they required in the USA....surely that can't be argued. That's code for: I'm expecting an argument within 15 minutes. LOL

Make Chips!

MS290.jpg

For friends who were looking new 290 (Farm Boss had mass appeal) I'd recommend stepping up to MS 310 for 40 bucks more. Comes in 3/8 usually rim sproket and pull 20 inch better

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Or, if you like to tinker, just find a cheap MS290 or run your new MS290 till you're tired of each other and add a 49mm (MS390) jug later for $20-$25.

Yeah, but they still came to the U.S. dealers with the 8 tooth, just to keep things true.
I understood the thread to be discussing what to put on the saw when he was starting out with 3/8-7 and considering .325 as well as 3/8 16" bars. Wasn't concerned with what they had new as a .325 USA saw but yes they had .325-8 spurs when new in the USA. Mine was long ago changed to a small-7 spline with a .325-7 sprocket and never looked back. But then again, I've used mine on 1" brush to 32" hardwood felling and just don't consider an 8 tooth up to the task. Sure you can make an 8 work but, been there done that with the original spur and the powerhead and clutch didn't enjoy a buried bar/8 tooth combination. If you're doing medium to light cutting only...go for the 8...it will work fine.

If he currently has a 20 inch 3/8 bar/chain, why even bother consider going to a .325 16 inch? Why not just get a 16 inch 3/8 bar/chain?
Can't go wrong with either really...they will both work. The .325 I've seen has a small kerf advantage but not much. Other than that, some say the extra cutter every 10" makes it a little smoother...never worried about it myself. I run the pitch that I get super bargains on. I'm currently running Carlton .325 on the MS290 that was $59 delivered for an 83' roll and 3/8 semi on the 660 that I picked up for $149/100' delivered.

Hey all,

Thanks for all the thoughts here everyone! Like I said before, this is an awesome community.

I've decided to stick to 3/8" for my 16" bar purchase for ease of switching between bars. I opened up the saw and found that I have a 7 tooth spur sprocket drum (PN 1125/04). Can anyone recommend a decent 16" Oregon bar/chain combo that will work with this setup? I'd like to be able to just swap out bar and chain when going between the current 20" and a 16"

Hey all,

Thanks for all the thoughts here everyone! Like I said before, this is an awesome community.

I've decided to stick to 3/8" for my 16" bar purchase for ease of switching between bars. I opened up the saw and found that I have a 7 tooth spur sprocket drum (PN 1125/04). Can anyone recommend a decent 16" Oregon bar/chain combo that will work with this setup? I'd like to be able to just swap out bar and chain when going between the current 20" and a 16"
PM sent

Sorry to add confusion to your situation but, 3/8 rim drums comes in two sizes that will fit the 290/390 series. The OEM size is small-7 spline paired with a 10x13x10 clutch bearing and allows use of all the .325 and 3/8 sprockets. Some 290/390 saws get an MS360 standard-7 spline drum paired with a 10X16X13 bearing put on them just cause they can and the standard-7 spline limits your sprocket options in .325. You want to make sure you are getting the small-7 spline drum and bearing so .325-7 sprockets can be used.

Thanks for the additional insight. I have a 7 tooth spline drum with part number 1125/04. Any idea of this is the small or standard version? Could I choose to run .325 in addition to 3/8 with this setup?

Thanks for the additional insight. I have a 7 tooth spline drum with part number 1125/04. Any idea of this is the small or standard version? Could I choose to run .325 in addition to 3/8 with this setup?
Standard-7 splined clutch drums don't have the ability to run the smaller tooth sizes in .325 pitch. I know they can run 325-9 rims but I believe 8 and 7 has no clearance.

Just found this..it should help you with the options: http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdf/sprockets/RimSproxFB0601.pdf

Back