Stihl MS290 Repair manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejegghead

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and was looking for some help on rebuilding an MS290. I have the replacement cylinder and piston but need tips on how to install the rings and what type of oil/grease to use on the roller bearings. Would anyone have a MS290/310/390 repair manual?

If I have to purchase one would it detail what I am looking for?

Thanks for any help!

EJ

Post a request over on the Beg For Manuals thread and I bet someone has it in PDF format. Free online through your AS buddies.

As for grease for the sprocket bearings, I just use a dab of bar grease. Not too much, it will spin off into the clutch brake.

There have been several threads on doing ring installs on saws on AS. Do a search on them, and how to line up the rings.

i think ive heard in the past that sthils website gives them to you for free? not for sure though but check it out. if not go to your local dealer.

Hey welcome to the wonderful world of taking your life into your own hands and giving the MAN the bird !

I have a shop manual for this saw...but it is mine...and I don't think it would help you anyway.

However I may be of some assistance to you if you have specific questions. I have rebuilt my 290. Ask me anything and I can try and help.

I would make some recommendations:

One, upgrade to the 310 cylinder and piston...or the 390 [for which you will need to deal with a decompression button issue...but it is possible]

More power is usually better...[opinion]

Next realize that this undertaking is not rocket science and that the MAN will tell you otherwise...that is what keeps him in business.

Make a concerted effort to find the ROOT of the problem...it makes absolutely no sense rebuilding an engine that will just experience the same catastrophe.

If you can not figure it out...AT THE VERY LEAST replace the impulse line, the crank shaft seals, and the rubber gasket between the carborator and the engine....these are your most likely culprits of and air leak that contributed to the ultimate failure. [assuming you did not make a stupid mistake like running gasoline without oil mixture, or dropped something in the engine while cleaning, or running full throttle all day long, etc...]

Please let me know why your engine failed...as I am very interested in any chainsaw antics.

It is going to be difficult to get the rings on the pistons...and make sure they line up with the pistons' "clit". If they do not when you finally insert...oh ####!
BUT this is pretty well done with your god given fingers. I think Bailey's sells a ring clamp to help..but I bet it sucks for $5...who knows may be you should give it a try and let me know.

Use the proper sealant when rebuilding the cylinder...not too much...but enough to JUST over-fill the indented bead. The good stuff is BLACK in color, the same used for any cylander...you can get it at the auto parts store.

Finally,

Break it in slow and easy. Let it blubber in 40:1 [nice and oily], not 50:1...if you really care for this saw and all your hard earned work. Then cut some wood, keeping it under load at HALF throttle....do this for 3-4 tanks of gas. Then go ape ####.

And always remember that you have done what the MAN despises...and pass on your knowledge to the next...and so on.

Stihl MS290, 310, 390, 029, 039 service manual

This is one of the most difficult service manuals I have ever tried to find on the internet for free. I have been searching a very long time and stumbled upon an anonymous uploaded file that is the flippin' service manual for this family of Stihl saws. Shoot me your email address and i would be happy to send the file to you.

Searching the internet for this file will only frustrate you til you're stupid!!!

Manual

This is one of the most difficult service manuals I have ever tried to find on the internet for free. I have been searching a very long time and stumbled upon an anonymous uploaded file that is the flippin' service manual for this family of Stihl saws. Shoot me your email address and i would be happy to send the file to you.

Searching the internet for this file will only frustrate you til you're stupid!!!

Please email a copy of manual to [email protected]

Thanks

Pete

I would like to have a copy too. If you dont mind.

[email protected]

I've got one :) If ever stuck for any IPL's or manuals PM Wayne (gmax). He has had every single IPL/manual I have ever asked for. I think he told me he has gigabytes of manuals/IPL's on his computer.
I search for naked girls, he searches for chainsaw IPL's and manuals :cheers:

Last edited:
Post a request over on the Beg For Manuals thread and I bet someone has it in PDF format. Free online through your AS buddies.

As for grease for the sprocket bearings, I just use a dab of bar grease. Not too much, it will spin off into the clutch brake.

There have been several threads on doing ring installs on saws on AS. Do a search on them, and how to line up the rings.

Please email a copy of manual to [email protected]

Thanks

Pete

I would like to have a copy too. If you dont mind.

[email protected]

Check out the very top thread in this forum.

stihl manuals

If you know how to download torrents you can several from pirate bay includes 290/310/390 for free

I would absolutely love help getting the Stihl 290 repair manual

Would you mind forwarding a copy to [email protected], I would be very grateful. Thank you.

ms 290 repair manual needed

send a copy of ms290 repair manual to email: [email protected]. Thanx alot.

Back