Stihl ms362 or Husqvarna 562xp???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. I have owned 2 husky 346xp's and had nothing but problems with both of them. They spent more time in the shop than with the bars buried in wood. I have had zero problems with all of my stihls. Yeah the 346 cut equal to or faster than my 034 but the 034 is way more reliable and would always run when needed. My vote is dont buy the 362 or 562 but rather a 361 and have Mastermind port it.

Oh and you might want to find a different shop, just sayin. :msp_wink:

Has anyone ran them both? How do they compare on speed and actual power? And do they have the same warranty time period or is one longer than the other?

I've run both, although not at the same time to compare closely. Both started easily cold and warm, accelerated quickly and cut with excellent speed for their size. The MS362's spring AV felt a bit spongy compared to the rubber bushing AV that I'm used to. The 562xp impressed me as being a somewhat snappier runner. For consumers, warranties can be extended to 4 years and 2 years for the Husky and Stihl, respectively, if you buy cans of the specified fuel mix at the time of sale. In the real world, you can get a lot of work done efficiently with either one; for me, the choice would come down to the better dealer support.

Odd that you have Two 346xp's with problems?

I've had one since first of 2001, put tons of hours on it and no problems except one set of clutch springs and a few fuel lines. Had my other 346 for 3 years and absolutely no problems.

Actually the only saw to give us any problems is my brothers pos Stihl ms290. :confused:

The 290 isnt a pro grade saw but that is no excuse for it to give your bro trouble. But if you compare the home grade rancher huskies, those arent worth walking across the street for either. Now all my pro grade stihls I own have always ran and zero problems. And as for a different shop to have service my husky........well he is a AS member and is said to be great at huskies.

The 290 isnt a pro grade saw but that is no excuse for it to give your bro trouble. But if you compare the home grade rancher huskies, those arent worth walking across the street for either. Now all my pro grade stihls I own have always ran and zero problems. And as for a different shop to have service my husky........well he is a AS member and is said to be great at huskies.

Well if ya have a good shop and ya still can't keep two 346's running, something is very wrong. Ya just don't see any posts here of people having much trouble with that saw. Ones with trouble are usually fixed easy and back to work never to be heard from again... Just weird, that's all!

Last edited:
So does the 562 have a cat muffler? rburg in a earlier post said it didnt... but when i asked the dealer last week he said that it did? I do remember the 346 having one, along with some of there consumer grades with the green gas/oil caps....

So does the 562 have a cat muffler? rburg in a earlier post said it didnt... but when i asked the dealer last week he said that it did? I do remember the 346 having one, along with some of there consumer grades with the green gas/oil caps....

It does not have a cat muffler! As it is a "strato" saw, it doesn't need it for EPA reasons.

Actually very few 346s had it, and it really was just an option - but it was more common for some time in the US, for EPA reasons.

how do these strato saws respond to porting since the builders have some porting time under their belts now? i've read some of the threads on strato porting but they were mostly old posts. i'm sure you builders have learned a lot about em since 2010.

I owned Terry Landrum's personal ported 562 and now my brother has it. In less than 20" wood it is the fastest saw I have used. The throttle response is unreal. A ported 562 is almost the holy grail. Awesome power to weight ratio. I think Terry and Mastermind both feel the Autotune and M-tronic saws respond as well as if not better than other saws.

how do these strato saws respond to porting since the builders have some porting time under their belts now? i've read some of the threads on strato porting but they were mostly old posts. i'm sure you builders have learned a lot about em since 2010.

Not quite as well as the earlier quad transfer non-strato Huskys so far, from how I read the situation - but they surely respond well to it, in the right hands. :popcorn:

Well guys I've finally decided on one... after reading several forums on the 362 having problems with its filter even after Stihl updated it, it just made the decision that much easier, Im hoping to have the new saw around this time next week, thats if all goes as planned :msp_biggrin: thank ya'll for the imput it was really helpful

Well if ya have a good shop and ya still can't keep two 346's running, something is very wrong. Ya just don't see any posts here of people having much trouble with that saw. Ones with trouble are usually fixed easy and back to work never to be heard from again... Just weird, that's all!

I understand that you are hinting at my issues with my past 2 huskies being operator error, but it was not. This isn't my first go around with a chainsaw, or with a 2 stroke engine. As a matter of fact I have ported all of my stihl saws, atv, dirt bike, sleds, etc. The saw would always act lean and you could never get it to tune right with carb adjustments and since I dont work on huskies and have 5 other reliable stihls saws to use, and no real need for a 6th saw to begin with, seeing as I only help friends cut firewood as a hobby, I figured it would only make sense to dump the saw that gives me trouble. I simply haven't had the luck with that saw as I hoped to. Glad your huskies treat you well. This is simply a scenario where your friends ford truck gives him problems and yours simply hasn't had a hiccup yet in 175,000 miles. I'm simply going to continue to use stihls and nothing else. The original thread poster was looking for advice/votes on what others would choose between and I simply stated my experience and .02. I wasn't looking to generate any sort of heated discussion. At least in the end we all like chainsaws and the smell of premix. Lol.

The other thing I hated with that 346 was how it always tipped on its side, due to the shape of the bottom of the saw. No wonder why the chain covers on them saws get so scratched up, cause they always tip over when idling and vibrate around. Anyways, I gotta go eat now. I'm starving. :)

Not sure how that happened, but suspect another new post have been deleted, as I surely didn't go far back to dig up anything.....

Back