STIHL MS460, MS461? I have the oportunity to buy both new! I need help deciding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So pretty much, Everyone seems to think that a 461 is superior to the 460. From what I gather, for my needs, both will perform similarly in terms of torque and speed, with minor minor differences. The 461 will be better on fuel economy...
Now what about comfort? Is the 461 noticeably different from the 460 in terms of vibration? Does one run smoother than the other? What about the sound of the saw...are there differences there? Pull start should be the same I presume?

I am guessing that most of this stuff is similar on both models. In theory, I suppose I was originally leaning towards the 460 because it had been around for a while, and I was worried that the 461 was possibly a saw that might pose more problems later down the road....

And by that I mean factoring in Anti-Vibration, Air Filtration, Fuel Efficiency, automatic climate/altitude/fuel/etc tune optimization. I used to have a stock 460 Magnum that I ran side by side with the M-Tronic many times, and had friends of mine run both as well. My ported 441C easily spanked my stock 460, yet maintained all it's "modern" advantages.

Get a MS660. There are a lot of opinions here but when it comes to felling and bucking, I would and have on many occasions run a MS660 all day before I pick up any 70cc saw.

Now having said that, I recently picked up a MS440 just so I would have a saw that was TRULY lighter than my MS660 and still had plenty of balls to get the job done on smaller stuff. We'll see how this is going to work out.

As far as weight, I don't believe that a MS460 is any lighter than a MS660 with b&c, oil, mix, 3/4 wrap, HO oiler, etc. They feel the same and the MS660 balances better. There is no shortage of torque and when you get that opportunity to fell one that is bigger around than a 36" bar will cut through, that torque is damn nice to have on hand.

If you don't like my choice, get all three! :rock:

There is no noticeable difference between the 460 and 461 in the vibe department. I am pretty sure they use the same rubbers. I know that the last sentence didn't sound right but you get my point. :msp_biggrin:

I can't say anything about the 461, I never ran one ,but I have a 460 and it's an awesome saw..
I don't think you could go wrong with either saw.
I could have cried when Stihl stopped making the 440 :cry:,but what i'm hearing...the 441 is a nice saw. so if i where you I wouldn't rule out the 441
Get the Dealer to put the size bar your going to be running on the 441, 460 and 461 and see witch one feels better
I know that Stihl list the 460,440,441 weighing the same, but they don't...When it comes to weight I would much rather run my 440 all day than my 460

Last edited:
The 460 was my favorite untill I bought my 461R. A 461 puts on a great show right out of the box. I hardly ever use my 660 but I was reminded last weekend why I have it. The 660 allways puts a smile on my face when the 36" bar is buried. The 660 has torque that really shows when the big bar is on and your pullin the handle it to make it work. I like a 20" on my 361 a 25" on my 460 and 461 and the 660 gets a 36" bar. Figure out what size wood your going to cut most of and buy a saw to fit that need.

if you do get a 461 get a couple filter covers ,otherwise the filter plugs pretty fast View attachment 297624

Sorry i must disagree about the use of pre filters,all they do is trap fine dust to the filter as seen here,this is a 461 after 4 tanks of fuel in dry Yellowbox.
Will out the pre filter when the saw stops (sucking air) most of the crap will fall off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a 441C filter after about 12 tanks of fuel same wood.

attachment.php

This is the sort of dust im talking about.
461 ported,25'' bar semi chisel chain 8 pin sprocket in very very hard dry Yellowbox,this is were the 461s with there torque win hands down from anything else i have even run in this stuff.:D

[video=youtube;--09HcxhqR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--09HcxhqR8[/video]

Yeah, thats what I heard...that the 660 is quite heavy. Although I haven't actually held one yet so I can't rule it out just yet :)
Just thought of something else! Why is it now just the MS461, and not the MS461 Magnum???
When you look at the website, it used to say MS441 Magnum, MS460 Magnum, MS660 Magnum etc...
They seem to have dropped the "Magnum" status on the MS461....
Thoughts?

With the purchase of a Magnum saw you received a free 40oz bottle of fortified (high alcohol content) beer :laugh:.

Note--This joke might not be applicable in Canada.

i personally love my 460 . my 461 feels odd to me just longer base . i would go for a 460 and put a big bore and woods port it . you wont be disappointed. although you cant go wrong with the ms 461 cuts and preforms like it should sucks less gas and stuff. i personally would buy a used 460 off the internet and put a big bore and do some port work . it will come out to be the same cost as a new one but u have way more power . but its up to you thanks

...i would go for a 460 and put a big bore and woods port it . you wont be disappointed...i personally would buy a used 460 off the internet and put a big bore and do some port work . it will come out to be the same cost as a new one but u have way more power . but its up to you thanks

You are a noob and can be excused for this post.

This is the sort of dust im talking about.
461 ported,25'' bar semi chisel chain 8 pin sprocket in very very hard dry Yellowbox,this is were the 461s with there torque win hands down from anything else i have even run in this stuff.:D

[video=youtube;--09HcxhqR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--09HcxhqR8[/video]

that wood is very dry and dusty ,stuff around here is usually wetter ,i can usually pop the filter cover off and tap or blow with my mouth and the prefilters clean ,hows your nose after cutting that stuff ? must make some good chunkies in there :laugh:

If I was really that worried about anti-vibe, air filtration, and smoothness, I'd go to the Husky shop :msp_biggrin:

Back