STIHL MS460, MS461? I have the oportunity to buy both new! I need help deciding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ho oiler is nice for running 28" and up in real hard dry woods. The clutch cover and spikes from stihl will probably cost you more than the R upgrade would have and that's not counting the oiler, roller chain catcher, and the wrap handle.

The ES light bars come in 28", 32", and 36" in both .050" and .063".

The ES Light bars only come in 28' and 36''.

The high out put oiler is good with 28'' bars +

Sig is short for signature,down the bottom listing saws and stuff.

Other things worth having.
Use a 8 pin sprocket withe the 20'' and a 7 pin with a 28'' bar.
Dual port front muffler cover and open up original outlet.

attachment.php

i have a 32 inch .063 es light on my 461 so they make that size also

Hey everyone, so I am new to this forum. I have checked out several threads on the subject of MS 461 vs the older MS460, but I am still undecided.
I previously owned an MS361, but found it lacked power for some bigger jobs. I called my local dealer here in Canada, and he had an MS460 priced at $950 plus tax, an MS461 priced the same ($950).
So far, I have ruled out the MS441 as it is only slightly cheaper and has less power at the same weight etc....
My biggest issue is deciding between the older MS460 and the newer MS461. From what I have read, there are minor improvements on the newer MS461, although I have also heard that people will pay an arm and a leg to get their hands on an older 460.
Basically what I want to know is which of the two is more reliable? What would be the pros and cons of each saw?
Thanks guys, and I hope you can help.
I could also get a MS660, but they are a bit more...($1150) here.

I have a 460 excellent saw i also have a 261 and 361 love them as I'm sure i would love a 461 which is the one i would go for if i had the choice regards alan.

i have a 32 inch .063 es light on my 461 so they make that size also

Hey. So I finally decided to get the R version. I brought the saw back and placed the order yesterday.
Now about the sprocket. Which size does the saw come with? 7 or 8?
As for the muffler, I take it that is something I can just buy somewhere? But they have different types...

Hey. So I finally decided to get the R version. I brought the saw back and placed the order yesterday.
As for the muffler, I take it that is something I can just buy somewhere? But they have different types...

mine came with the 7 28 b&c. it is surprisingly strong in our hard oak. it has a louder exhust than any of my 460s so i'm thinkin they inproved the muffler somewhat. lemme know what ya think of the oiler.

Good call and nice dealer to take the saw back. You will be happy. Saw will come probably come with a 7 pin. You dealer should have an 8 pin on the shelf for ~$10. Buy the 8 then save it for shorter bars or once you get your saw ported :)

Just order the dual port cover. While you have the original cover off, pull the muffler and open up the existing side hole. There are tons of MS460 muffler mod threads here and google should bring them up.

They come with a 7 pin ,your dealer should have the dual port cover in stock ,may have to tell then a 460 cover will fit if the 461 part # is not in the system yet ,i think watsonr on this site has the dual port covers also for a good price

The ES Light bars only come in 28' and 36''.

The high out put oiler is good with 28'' bars +

Sig is short for signature,down the bottom listing saws and stuff.

Other things worth having.
Use a 8 pin sprocket withe the 20'' and a 7 pin with a 28'' bar.
Dual port front muffler cover and open up original outlet.

attachment.php

Hey, so ms461R on hand. So out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 7 and 8 pin sprockets. By purchasing an 8 tooth sprocket for my 20" bar it will make the rpm go up??
Also, what is the difference between a 0.5" bar and a 0.63"??

Hey, so ms461R on hand. So out of curiosity, what is the difference between the 7 and 8 pin sprockets. By purchasing an 8 tooth sprocket for my 20" bar it will make the rpm go up??
Also, what is the difference between a 0.5" bar and a 0.63"??

A 8 pin sprocket will give you more chain speed with the 20'' bar,but when you use a 28'' a 7 pin sprocket will help to drive the longer chain,like chainging gears on a bike.

.063'' is the chain drive link thickness.

A 8 pin sprocket will give you more chain speed with the 20'' bar,but when you use a 28'' a 7 pin sprocket will help to drive the longer chain,like chainging gears on a bike.

.063'' is the chain drive link thickness.

Thanks for the info! I take it that 0.63 is what I have...so standard...and 0.50 is for thinner cuts basically ?

.063 is what I use on 36" and longer bars due to it's strength and a wider channel to carry more oil. I use .050 on 32" and smaller bars for lighter weight and it's usually a bit more common to get. Here in the PNW, .058 isn't seen much.

Thats cool, my stupid dealers wont order me a R version because they think there only for rescue. The other dealer said he cant even get one

The Stihl dealer in Woolley (PNW) has "R" models right on the shelf with all the other models

That new concrete saw looks bad a$$ !

Update!

Hey everyone! So i have now used my new MS461R a few times and its amazing!!! It ripped through the hard walnut tree I cut up yesterday really really fast! The high output oiler seemed to work great!
Now I do have a few questions for modification. I have read some of the other threads on here about modifying the MS460. However, I am wondering if some of you can help me better understand my options.

First, I have already purchased an 8 tooth 3/8 pitch sprocket as I am primarily using a 20"ES bar. According to my calculations, this should increase the RPM by apx 14%? What I am wondering is whether this new sprocket will put any additional strain on the engine?

Second, I am considering porting the muffler. From what I have read on the 460 threads, it will increase the hp and torque....basically make the saw run better? I am wondering if this is really worth doing? If I do it on my 461, what is the best way to do it?
I noticed that there was an OEM STIHL dual port muffler cover (1128-140-0801). The dealer says that it is not listed for the 461! I was wondering if it will fit? In addition, there are different aftermarket dual port mufflers available. Does anyone know what the best option would be?
In addition, I was also wondering whether putting a dual port muffler on will affect the saw on a long term basis? Basically what do I need to know about the pros and cons of a dual port muffler?

Hey everyone! So i have now used my new MS461R a few times and its amazing!!! It ripped through the hard walnut tree I cut up yesterday really really fast! The high output oiler seemed to work great!
Now I do have a few questions for modification. I have read some of the other threads on here about modifying the MS460. However, I am wondering if some of you can help me better understand my options.

First, I have already purchased an 8 tooth 3/8 pitch sprocket as I am primarily using a 20"ES bar. According to my calculations, this should increase the RPM by apx 14%? What I am wondering is whether this new sprocket will put any additional strain on the engine?

Second, I am considering porting the muffler. From what I have read on the 460 threads, it will increase the hp and torque....basically make the saw run better? I am wondering if this is really worth doing? If I do it on my 461, what is the best way to do it?
I noticed that there was an OEM STIHL dual port muffler cover (1128-140-0801). The dealer says that it is not listed for the 461! I was wondering if it will fit? In addition, there are different aftermarket dual port mufflers available. Does anyone know what the best option would be?
In addition, I was also wondering whether putting a dual port muffler on will affect the saw on a long term basis? Basically what do I need to know about the pros and cons of a dual port muffler?

460 dual port will fit. There is no bad points to doing a muffler mod as long as the saw is retuned so it isn't running lean. The 20" with an 8 pin will be fine as long as you don't try to really push on the saw in the cut.

Latest posts

Back