STIHL MS460, MS461? I have the oportunity to buy both new! I need help deciding!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, didn't make my self clear. I meant how much bar oil does your saw use to a tank of gas.

Hey, sorry...
umm, well to be honest I havent paid attention to that. I just topped up the oil every time I filled up a new tank....
And I have maybe filled up 4 times so far. I would say maybe 1/2 oil to one tank of gas...probably less...more like 1/3 oil to one tank of gas.
Thoughts?

460 dual port will fit. There is no bad points to doing a muffler mod as long as the saw is retuned so it isn't running lean. The 20" with an 8 pin will be fine as long as you don't try to really push on the saw in the cut.

Sorry, but what do you mean "as long as you don't try to really push on it"??? I used the saw yesterday and compared to my old MS361, I can push on it MUCH more! Care to explain your comment? I am not sure I really understand the logic behind the mechanics of what you are talking about!

@ chhonos

If you are happy by how it performs at the moment and it is sufficient for your type of cutting, I wouldn't change a thing. I'd just make sure the carb is set right and run the sh!t out of it. Usually all modifications void the warrenty. Break in time is something like 10-20 refills, so I would first descide after that.

mine is using less than a tank of oil to a full tank of gas. oiler is turned all the way up. I don.t under stand this as both of my standard 460s use almost a full tank of oil to a tank of gas. I love the 461r it is stronger than my 460s but shouldn't the high volume oiler use more than a standard oiler?

Sorry, but what do you mean "as long as you don't try to really push on it"??? I used the saw yesterday and compared to my old MS361, I can push on it MUCH more! Care to explain your comment? I am not sure I really understand the logic behind the mechanics of what you are talking about!

Some people try to push on the saw too much and will bog it down or load it below peak power. If you're pushing to try to cut faster then you need to look at ways to improve the chain so it will self feed at a good pace and load the saw.

mine is using less than a tank of oil to a full tank of gas. oiler is turned all the way up. I don.t under stand this as both of my standard 460s use almost a full tank of oil to a tank of gas. I love the 461r it is stronger than my 460s but shouldn't the high volume oiler use more than a standard oiler?

Hey, so I ran a tank through the saw today! I started with a full tank of gas and oil. By the end of the tank of gas there was roughly just under half a tank of oil left in the tank. I checked and the oiler is turned up All the way. Weird....

My 461 was like that when new,now its oiling more or i am getting better fuel economy now it os broke in,my 660 did same thing when new,now its a tank to a tank

Do the Muffler mod your self

460 dual port will fit. There is no bad points to doing a muffler mod as long as the saw is retuned so it isn't running lean. The 20" with an 8 pin will be fine as long as you don't try to really push on the saw in the cut.

A month ago just ported a 441 that had with a stock muffler that I modded to match the ported saw. I can't remember what was inside the muffler at the moment or even it it was a splitable muffler. Anyways, take a file or a grinder and open the up the exhaust port 2.5x over stock. Remove all chips from the muffler before you put it back on. It can back breath any metal that you leave free in the muffler and destroy you p/c. While its off look inside to see if the muffler has baffles that you ran remove or enlarge the perforations in the baffle. Again clean up the edges of your work and remove all metal flakes or grindings. You also can braze on an extra port if you feel so inclined. I like to keep the new ports flowing the direction of the orignal exhaust, I figure the designers knew what they were doing, regarding flow and direction. My 2 cents.

andy

I have about an 1/8th of an oil tank left after 1 tank gas on my 461. that is after I turned it down a bit cause it would be empty when gas is empty. I use 30 weight on my 28" bar

Last edited:
Hey so I found out an interesting tid bit! My mechanic at my Stihl dealer said that there is actually NO high output oiler on the R version? He said its bull cuz if you order a new oiler, the part number is exactly the same on the regular and R versions....
Also, he said that in terms of a tank of gas to a tank of oil....that is just no longer the case with the STIHL saws. He said it used to be about 1:1, but now they are making them differently and it is normal to have a 1/4 tank of oil left at the end of each tank.

Hey so I found out an interesting tid bit! My mechanic at my Stihl dealer said that there is actually NO high output oiler on the R version? He said its bull cuz if you order a new oiler, the part number is exactly the same on the regular and R versions....
Also, he said that in terms of a tank of gas to a tank of oil....that is just no longer the case with the STIHL saws. He said it used to be about 1:1, but now they are making them differently and it is normal to have a 1/4 tank of oil left at the end of each tank.

I think your mechanic is wrong. There are two oiler part numbers listed for those saws and the R versions get the higher output oiler. This is backed up by my Stihl dealer and my Stihl CD ;)
Send a PM to our resident Stihl guru and actual Stihl dealer "bennn*e" and he'll fill you in with all the facts you need.

EDIT:

Just spoke to Bennn*e and gathered the following intel...

Part number for the HO oiler is 1128 640 3250 and this is listed for the "R" versions.
Part number for the standard oiler is 1128 640 3206 is listed for the 046, 441, 460, and 461 non "R" versions.

Last edited:
Hmm interesting. Good to know!
I got my info from walkers saw shop (on the oiler info).
He said they were the same on the R and regular versions. Maybe that is just out west??

idk boys, I cut some big white oak and hickory yesterday, n I dam sure wish this saw would oil more. I hate to pull the clutch and work on a saw only a few months old, but this is silly. I swear my ol 460s put out more.

Hmm interesting. Good to know!
I got my info from walkers saw shop (on the oiler info).
He said they were the same on the R and regular versions. Maybe that is just out west??

Hey it's possible that there are regional variations but both oiler part numbers are listed on the Stihl dealer CD.
Stranger things have happened in Stihl over the years :cheers:

Back