Stihl MS461 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I a 25" bar on my 461 90% of the time, but I do have a 32" bar for bigger trees. I suppose whatever I spend on upgrading the oil output is a whole lot less then going to a 661 or 880 sized power head to drive the longer bar.

Um... I'm "familiar" with saws and have stripped down and rebuilt several saws, all except splitting a case, so far. I like to be self-sufficient, but I also like to be frugal with my time and money. Since this is not my career, my time is often more expensive/valuable than a couple of bucks here or there.

Um... I'm "familiar" with saws and have stripped down and rebuilt several saws, all except splitting a case, so far. I like to be self-sufficient, but I also like to be frugal with my time and money. Since this is not my career, my time is often more expensive/valuable than a couple of bucks here or there.
Suit yourself. You'll spend more time AND money your way.

I have always been of the belief that to be truly self sufficient and frugal, it is best to not put too high of a value on time.

The deed is done. I replaced the plunger and controller with the h.o. ones. As you guys said, the parts fit perfectly. Saw now oils much better with the 32" bar.
Just bucked a big elm today with a 30" bar on board my Stihl 046. Then I noodle cut it into quarters with a 25" bar. This saw never cease to amaze me.

Just bucked a big elm today with a 30" bar on board my Stihl 046. Then I noodle cut it into quarters with a 25" bar. This saw never cease to amaze me.

Did you do any modifications to the oiler or are you just sharing?

Never mind, I see your previous post quoted below.

How about big elm pics?

I doubt it. My 046 oils a 30" bar just as well as a 20" bar with no flow adjustment required. I like operating it with a 25" bar and only go longer when the trees get really big.

Yeah I'm not sure what the deal was on my 460. I had even pulled the pump apart and "souped it up" to get as much as possible and it was still getting an 18" bar too hot to tough with a gloved hand. After thinning the bar oil, problem solved.

Did you do any modifications to the oiler or are you just sharing? Never mind, I see your previous post quoted below. How about big elm pics?
Here's a good shot of the quartered chunks:

I used the Makita BBK with a 32" bar to buck the big trunks and then the 046 with a 25" bar to do the noodle cutting. I carried away two loads of this elm. I believe it was an American elm--about 70 years old. The bark had fallen off before I went to work on it. These pieces then split beautifully. Actually, I could have used the 046 to do it all, but I needed an excuse to run the Makita.

Latest posts

Back