Stihl PL-40 loppers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Are they were the price of admission ($99.00)?

Anyone have a pair and what do you think of them? I'm looking to buy a pair and I'm not sure I want to spend $100.00 for some.

pl40.png

Personally I'd buy Felco, for no other reason they are likely to outlast you and spare parts will be available for decades... can the same be said about Stihl as well?

+1 on the Fiskars. I've gotten good service from mine. Mine are non-ratcheting ... one pair fixed length & second pair with telescoping handles (makes for great leverage).

I've been using my Corona loppers for years and am happy with them. Strong, tough, and much less money compared to Stihl. Funny but my Corona folding saw beat my fancy Silky saw easily cutting a 3 inch piece of oak. Plain and simple good stuff for the money.

Thought I'd freshen up this thread just a bit.

Did some branch pruning on a tree of ours yesterday. The loppers that I currently own are from Ace Hardware. They are 29.5" overall length. They are made in Taiwan. We've had them for years and they have saved me a lot of work and they do seem to work fine.

But, I'm willing to spend some money and buy a pair that will serve me well for many years to come. The branches I usually cut are about 2" in dia. max. I cut both dead and live branches. The dead ones are much harder to cut.

I've done some research and have seen ratcheting loppers, as well as those with other features. I don't know all that much about loppers, other than how to use them. I'm not brand aware as far as quality goes. I have looked at some Felcos and Fiskars on-line.

Are by-pass loppers preferred more so than anvil loppers? If so why? And, is there a desired length? Is longer better?

If any of you could provide some additional tips and/or recommendations, it will be appreciated. I've read over this thread again to familiarize myself with what has already been posted.

TIA!

Before I’d spend 100$ to 200$ on loppers to cut dead branches in the 2” to 3” and up range, I’d just grab a small , cheap chainsaw, makes much more sense to me. Sorry about the possible thread derail!:cool:

I already have two chainsaws. The reason I was asking about loppers is that they are so handy and easy to use. I'm 6-05 tall w/long arms, so with a good tall pair of loppers, I can reach out quite easily.

I was going to use my MS-261 yesterday on the branches, but found that I did fine with just the loppers that I have. Didn't need to fuel up the saw and all that jazz. But.....I did need to fuel up my pole saw (HT-131) for the branches that were too big and too far up.

Over the years, I've found loppers to be quick and very handy when it comes to removing stray branches. So much so, I'd like to buy a much better pair of loppers.

Appreciate your post though, and it does make sense.

Latest posts

Back