Stihl PS lo pro chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My source of this chain at a non Mortgage price has dried up ( Shop owner retired) Can any one point me in the direction of a reasonably priced loop including post/shipping to France for a 55 dl 3/8 x 050/1.3 PS non bumper chain. Thanks

My source of this chain at a non Mortgage price has dried up ( Shop owner retired) Can any one point me in the direction of a reasonably priced loop including post/shipping to France for a 55 dl 3/8 x 050/1.3 PS non bumper chain. Thanks
Hi. Sorry can't help with a source but wanted to note that stihl picco was all I used to use too but I have found oregons low pro chain has improved to the point I like it enough to stop buying stihl picco.

Hi. Sorry can't help with a source but wanted to note that stihl picco was all I used to use too but I have found oregons low pro chain has improved to the point I like it enough to stop buying stihl picco.
What #Oregon chain do you use, a while back I had problems with 91VXL new out of the box chattering quite badly, only cured by relieving the back edge of the cutter & taking off the equiv of about 4 sharpening's from the cutting edge, the chain cut well after that, but apart from being a pain having to do this to an out of the box chain I also lost quite a bit cuting's worth hence my change to Stihl PS

It still chatter quite a bit on smaller saws

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

How many loops and how much $?

What is your current cost, approximate US $, for the 55dl PS loops? Last loops I purchased from the local Stihl dealer were $11 cash out the door. I get really good pricing on all Stihl chain as I buy loops in quantity 3 or 4 times a year. ($300 - $500 worth at a pop) A couple friends and neighbors typically throw and order couple loops when I make a purchase. The volume makes a huge difference in cost, but as you referenced any preferred pricing on chains is at the dealer's discretion.

Is there any savings if you buy a roll and make your own?

Take Care

How many loops and how much $?

What is your current cost, approximate US $, for the 55dl PS loops? Last loops I purchased from the local Stihl dealer were $11 cash out the door. I get really good pricing on all Stihl chain as I buy loops in quantity 3 or 4 times a year. ($300 - $500 worth at a pop) A couple friends and neighbors typically throw and order couple loops when I make a purchase. The volume makes a huge difference in cost, but as you referenced any preferred pricing on chains is at the dealer's discretion.

Is there any savings if you buy a roll and make your own?

Take Care
Hi I used to pay eqiv $16.00 for a 55DL PS. the best I can do now is $28.50 I only use a limited amount so buying a roll would last me until past my sell by date ( As I reach the Big 80 this year )

I can probably get that chain for €20 or so locally but I think the postal office would ask me a limb for shipping to France... I would advice you look into Oregon chains but I've just bought two loops of non-safety chain and they are now every bit as expensive as Stihl.
Anyhow, when shipping is included it's probably hard to beat this price. http://www.ebay.it/itm/STIHL-Sageke...hash=item567094335c:m:mJfd3bIebJVbqqr01XSzVaA

I can probably get that chain for €20 or so locally but I think the postal office would ask me a limb for shipping to France... I would advice you look into Oregon chains but I've just bought two loops of non-safety chain and they are now every bit as expensive as Stihl.
Anyhow, when shipping is included it's probably hard to beat this price. http://www.ebay.it/itm/STIHL-Sageke...hash=item567094335c:m:mJfd3bIebJVbqqr01XSzVaA
Hi, thanks for the heads up, but the chain in the listing is PS3 I can get that no problem But It's the no bumper link yellow Spec PS chain I"m after

Most of my saws use lo pro, but I've never spent the money for Stihl chain, and I only have one loop of 91VXL. I never noticed the VXL chattering, but it is a 68DL loop on maybe a heavier saw so that might mask it some. The Oregon 91VX and 91PX "chamfer chisel" works quite well - it has more a bevel than a radius on the outer edge. I find it to be fast and smooth. The PX is the "safety" version, however the ramped drive links don't get in the way at all. The problem with these chains though is that the cutters are not very long from the factory, so it's only a value if the cost is considerably less.

The Carlton lo pro has long cutters like the 91VXL, and I like it as well - but the VXL is supposedly smoother and has a different heel shape. But if you have issues with the VXLI wonder how it would work for you? It should be worth a try though.

Hi, thanks for the heads up, but the chain in the listing is PS3 I can get that no problem But It's the no bumper link yellow Spec PS chain I"m after

Those are very very hard to come by in Europe, and usually available only as special orders. Stihl doesn't usually use color-coded links for chains sold here in Europe. Just out of curiosity, which one of these is: http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/

What #Oregon chain do you use, a while back I had problems with 91VXL new out of the box chattering quite badly, only cured by relieving the back edge of the cutter & taking off the equiv of about 4 sharpening's from the cutting edge, the chain cut well after that, but apart from being a pain having to do this to an out of the box chain I also lost quite a bit cuting's worth hence my change to Stihl PS
We just bought a roll of the 91VXL a few months ago and it drives me crazy with how much it chatters on my 200t. I file the back side of the rakers which helps a little bit but I never thought about filing the back side of the cutter. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that a shot.
Good luck on your search, sorry I can't help.

Those are very very hard to come by in Europe, and usually available only as special orders. Stihl doesn't usually use color-coded links for chains sold here in Europe. Just out of curiosity, which one of these is: http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/
The chain carries the colour coding in my area SW France? The chain I'm looking for is listed as PS, no m or 3 just PS.It's just a full chisel cutter link with no bumper link or any anti kickback features It is not listed on the web link you posted if you bring up Ebay .co.uk &put up Stihl Race Chain there is a guy in the US sells it but the postal cost is a deal buster.

The chain carries the colour coding in my area SW France? The chain I'm looking for is listed as PS, no m or 3 just PS.It's just a full chisel cutter link with no bumper link or any anti kickback features It is not listed on the web link you posted if you bring up Ebay .co.uk &put up Stihl Race Chain there is a guy in the US sells it but the postal cost is a deal buster.

I'll have to ask my local Stihl dealership (40+ years selling and servicing them) but I suspect it's a chain offered only on some markets. The Stihl UK and CH websites list a low profile PS chain (which is rabidly expensive: ChF30 for a 40cm loop) but neither the German and Italian websites do.
Regarding color coding: I've never seen it around here, in Germany or in Switzerland. Maybe you have some health and safety law we haven't... yet! :laugh:

Hi. Sorry can't help with a source but wanted to note that stihl picco was all I used to use too but I have found oregons low pro chain has improved to the point I like it enough to stop buying stihl
91vxl and haven't noticed the chatter. Perhaps because not on a very lightweight saw. Is the consensus amongst those experiencing chatter that the reason is chip clearance being restricted by the long cutter? I will experiment with a new loop.

I cannot comment on VXL chain chatter on a larger saw as I've never set one up to run Lo Pro, but the saw I use for cutting metre split lengths to stove size is a Vap 44F ( rebadged Oleo MAc 244F ) Run a 50DL loop on 14 " bar & a 55 loop on16" bar & both sizes of the last 2/3 chain loops I've bought have suffered chatter from out of the box ( bought from different outlets so not loops made up by the dealer from the same roll) the mod in post#3 fixed it but as stated it's a pain having to do that to a new out of the box chain The search go's on.

Back