Stihl quick chain adjuster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry....I didn't mean to get things stirred up.

Hypothetically.....If one were to purchase a 361 with the Quick Chain Adjuster and didn't like it - is the conversion back pretty simple? Meaning the purchase of a normal cover, the normal nuts and studs, and the adjustment screw and post for the bar?

Hypothetically yes, easy to retrofit back to NCA (normal chain adjuster) but at some cost. Does the QCA cost more than the normal up front? Might could recoup a little hypothetical cash selling the QCA parts, but probably not all.

Now for a Friday evening hijack... :cheers:
Since it seems the battle lines are clearly drawn over the QCA vs NCA...

Who has used a 361 or 441 with the "Q" rear handle chain brake interlock?

Especially with Troll stuck under his bridge. He's never even seen a 361 QCA, LET ALONE USED ONE.

That is true, just 3x 250c ones, and neither worked well - and I hardly believe that the debris/accuracy problem is particular to that model......:jawdrop:

Last edited:

Somebody here has one and wrote up a review. I tried to find it using the search feature but struck out. As I recall, the guy did like the Q feature on his saw. Perhaps you might want to start a new thread asking about it.

I have it and I actually like it. I thought it was a little gimmicky at first, but I have yet to have any problems with it. A lot of times I have my son and daughter near by when I'm cutting and I like the added safety of having it.

SawTroll:

That is true, just 3x 250c ones, and neither worked well - and I hardly believe that the debris/accuracy problem is particular to that model......:jawdrop:

Troll, I assume that all who would use a chainsaw would also prefer to have their chains adjusted appropriately and accurately. Personally, if I felt that I had an inaccurate adjustment; I would not continue to cut with the saw until I had corrected the problem. With this being said, exactly what is your quantifiable measure of chain adjustment accuracy that makes you think the QCA is incapable of achieving.

In truth, I know its a matter of feel, ect...but...if I can achieve an accurate adjustment with the QCA...why is it that you cannot? This is a serious question and not an attempt at sarcasm.

I know that your two biggest complaints with this feature are the assertions that it discourages proper maintenance and chain adjustment accuracy. As hard a I try; I cannot assign credibility to the discourages maintenance argument (my personal experience prevents me from doing so), however, you may indeed have a point with the accuracy assertion. I feel that I achieve a very accurate adjustment myself, but perhaps your assessment is based on different standards of measure. Please elaborate on how you feel the QCA fails in this regard?

OLY-JIM

+1.. no... +5

As I read this thread, we have one old troll that's never seen one saying it sucks, and a handful of guys that actually own one saying it works fine... hmmmm..

As for "accuracy".... sure.... that big zone between tight and too loose is hours of cutting (beyond initial movement in the first few minutes)....

I Say Again -It's Great!

I don't know where all the negative comments on the QCA on the MS 361 are coming from. If you don't own one and don't use one --- DON"T SPECULATE on how bad it must be, or how heavy it is, or how inaccurate it is.
I'm here to tell you it works great!!!

Because it's so easy to use, you almost find yourself MAINTAINING proper tension on a more regular basis. You can do it literally in less than 5 seconds!

Own it -use it - then comment.

Jesus I got pumped - and I'm really a Husky guy.

Al :mad:

Sounds like we're starting to argue politics or religion here. No point in doing that.

I stand corrected on thinking the MS 361 QCA is the same design as the one on my 180. It's not, so I don't have a clue if it works better or not. That said, my 361 does not have QCA (my choice when I bought it), and if I bought another one today it would not have the QCA either.

I don't want a QCA because I don't think that it has any advantages over the standard bar mount. For me, the QCA (on my 180) makes chain adjustment harder, not easier. Others disagree, they should buy the QCA and will enjoy using it.

Both opinions should be expressed when somebody asks what we think, not to try to persuade the other side, but to give the person asking the question some logical reasons to make his decision either way.

Sounds like we're starting to argue politics or religion here. No point in doing that.

I stand corrected on thinking the MS 361 QCA is the same design as the one on my 180. It's not, so I don't have a clue if it works better or not. That said, my 361 does not have QCA (my choice when I bought it), and if I bought another one today it would not have the QCA either.

I don't want a QCA because I don't think that it has any advantages over the standard bar mount. For me, the QCA (on my 180) makes chain adjustment harder, not easier. Others disagree, they should buy the QCA and will enjoy using it.

Both opinions should be expressed when somebody asks what we think, not to try to persuade the other side, but to give the person asking the question some logical reasons to make his decision either way.

Absolutely!

I Agree

I think it's great to hear both sides of any issue - however the original poster was specific as to model of saw (MS361 with the QCA) and yet most of the people disuading him from that choice were people with absolutely NO experience with that particular saw combo!

So how can mere speculation to the advantages /diadvantages of a feature be truely helpful to the person with the question?

Al :dizzy:

I think it's great to hear both sides of any issue - however the original poster was specific as to model of saw (MS361 with the QCA) and yet most of the people disuading him from that choice were people with absolutely NO experience with that particular saw combo! ....

Look again - he actually asked if it was a gimmick or not - and hadn't made up his mind yet, if he wanted it.

In my book, it will always remain a gimmick, and just another thing that may fail sooner or later....

...and another solution to a non-existent problem.

Well I sold my 029 on Saturday and am just minutes away from going to the dealer to buy a new 361.....and I still haven't decided which model to buy. They have a 361 without the QCA sitting on the shelf ready to go - but they did say the QCA model is only about 2-3 days away......and there is so little daylight after work that I don't cut any wood weekdays anyhow and wouldn't need the saw until this weekend anyhow.

I have never had any trouble with the standard bar mount and always keep a scrench with the oil and fuel bottles - so taking a moment to tighten the chain using the normal methods is not a big problem. I do have a 192T for the little stuff and it uses a single nut for the chain - so I will always have a need for the scrench.

I will probably have to just make a decision when I go to the dealer...see if they have an opinion........or I could get the QCA and give you my opinion based on actually owning and operating one?

Troll -

That's true, but you don't own the QCA. Have you used one or is your opinion merely that - - - an opinion???

As far as a solution to a non-existant problem - what about misplacing a scrench or worse yet losing it while out in the woods. Why are so many replacement screnches painted flourescent orange!?!

With the QCA you don't need the scwrench - it solves that problem!

You may call it a gimmick - I call it a useful feature.

Al

Last edited:
Hhmm?

Look again - he actually asked if it was a gimmick or not - and hadn't made up his mind yet, if he wanted it.

In my book, it will always remain a gimmick, and just another thing that may fail sooner or later....

...and another solution to a non-existent problem.

It may always remain a gimmick in your mind...it doesn't change the fact that you're offering personal opinion on something that you have not used and have no real world experience on in regards to the MS 361.

Truthfully, the man would be fine regardless of what decision he makes...I know this based on personal experience and by having used both chain tentioning systems on this saw model. I would personally recommend the standard system, although, the QCA works just fine and can be very handy...I've experienced absoutely no shortcomings with mine (I still wish I had the standard). I simply fail to see how your arbitrary remarks are helpful to anybody, in any capacity.

We are all free to express our humble opinions and on occasion; to strongly express them. I enjoy reading your opinions Troll, however, sometimes I feel compelled to question your motivation in regards to some of your opinions that are being expressed. It seems that you are under the impression that if something is not to your liking, then that certain something is not suitable for anybody...and this is simply not the case. If you don't like it...great...say so...don't buy it...move on...but, please don't offer false testimony. :deadhorse:

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Last edited:
I have used a stihl QD system on a small saw (can't remember which) and hated it! tensioning is really awkward, and cleaning it is a pain (I try to clean my saws at the end of every day). The mechanism looks flimsy; the grub screw worked loose on the one I was using, and has to be removed to turn the bar over. The whole thing just seems to add a layer of complication to a system that works just fine: how much trouble is it really to undo two nuts with a scrench???

I saw a 361 with QD on ebay and was thinking about getting it and converting to standard, but when I phoned stihl R&D they told me the two types of cover cannot be interchanged; the whole saw is the QD type.

Just my thoughts on the subject....

:clap: Well I just returned from buying my new MS361...without the QCA. I used the $ 30 it would have cost to help buy a case, and my first chisel chain, and a 3/8" file kit.:clap: Thank you all for helping me to decide to sell my 029 and buy this saw....it will sure make for a lot more fun when cutting my firewood.:clap:

Back