STIHL RAPID? Duro Tungsten Carbide tipped good for cutting dirty tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
STIHL RAPID™ Duro Tungsten Carbide tipped good for cutting dirty tree roots

Been using this on a 039 for about 3 years after 1st testing it many moons ago. My job finds many tree roots vs kerb footpath infrastructure etc issues. So I fitted up and now use weekly this saw chain to cut and remove roots (where reasonable outcome for tree health is OK)
With hand excavation I clear then cut away minimum required roots without much effort. In dirt the saw chain edge lasts very well when measured against hand axeing or other effort/costs.
Pros
1 Saw chain price here has come down since 10 years ago now a loop $180 was $360
2 The saw chain can be touched up by local saw chap with a diamond tool very cheaply $20.00
3 Can be used to remove stumps / roots etc where Stump machines can not go.

Cons
1 It you hit hard rock/concrete etc it looses its edge but will plough on. Do many times over your done.
2 Saw bar and sproket wear is hard. You need a hard nose bar.
3 My xray vision is not as good as it used to be. Have not found a water or gas line yet but its on the cards if I dont take care.

4 The ethics & biology of cutting tree roots I understand but seek input from others on this matter another thread another day.

Picture shows before & after an Ash tree roots under the tray of a kerb needing refit typical task for me. Note the trees under very low Lv lines so not high and never will be.

Now Thats some dirty wood. dont think thats what they had in mind for a carbide tip chain. (at 180.00 bucks) I would think the biggest problem is pulling all that dirt into the saw,same as "saw dust"

That kind of work is where carbide really starts to shine. Thanks for posting the pictures and telling us about it.

Keep the camera handy, we want pics after you hit a water line.:greenchainsaw:

Mr. HE:cool:

Roots be gone

Some further work showing how this stuff cuts away though the dirt. This Liquid A is just wrong under power lines beside an expensive to repair rock retainer wall.
It had heaved up the footpath with long ropey roots. Tree removal is planned but I was required to remove the roots so as works crew could sort path asap. Oh I got a MS310 Stihl now, a much better saw for this work a wee bit more power than the old 29
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

It was easy to sort and saw "to easy" I ask for others thoughts on the topic of root pruning as much to say and learn.

Looks good. Around here we usually just rip the roots out with a mini trackhoe. You way would cost a lot less than a trackhoe and be much faster than an ax.

Mr. HE:cool:

I have a 039 set up with a 20" HT and a stack of chains that I use. I still have some carbide chain but the rocks and such were taking a hard toll on it. Your price for getting it sharpened is better than I have found local to me. I typically have a fairly good supply of nearly worn out/damaged cutter/safety chain that finishes it life on that saw.

It is a good set up for tight areas and projects that just do not warrant the expense or hassle of bigger machines. I use it a lot more often than I think I would like to.

The only thing that I might suggest is I have better luck with thinner oil for bar lube. The thicker high tack lube tended to stick to much dirt and such inside the bar groove and plug up the oil hole to quick. I usually end up dealing with very hard packed clay and it sticks to everything. Keep checking/cleaning the clutch and drum and bearing.

hard work there mate, forgive my newbieness but a normal chain wouldn`t do the trick ?
even if it wears faster, couples of files and you`re gtg.
isn`t cheaper overall ?
just asking.

hard work there mate, forgive my newbieness but a normal chain wouldn`t do the trick ?
even if it wears faster, couples of files and you`re gtg.
isn`t cheaper overall ?
just asking.

Normal chain would work for a short time but not quite cut it, you could try and many have by cleaning the wood of dirt n muck and cutting a bit and re sharping over n over n etc etc but this rapid duro works well and the chain loop price & retouching with diamond wheel has come down heaps since 10 years back.
Here normal loop of 3/8 $45 my time per hour $55 one file $2 bucks vs say 15 minutes with the tungsten saw chain at $160 a loop and I get easy about 15 to 20 tasks before I need to touch up the chain and get about 3 retouches per chain.
I reckon if I sold the gig well with local builders, gas n water authority and Gov roads I could build a business just sortin tree roots vs path pipe building with this saw. Turn up $90 bucks job done in out next do 5 a day good money.

I see your point. I am a bit impressed I admit; however I won`t probably cut much roots. I have one every 3-4 years that I consider a worthy opponent.
In my case I just clean the roots with water hose and then cut it no problem.
but I do this not for money but for my own house.

cheers

i see this old thread has lost its pictures so here some new ones from today digging out a small gum stump with a steel stake pole within it ( luke 23.34 ) so grinding was not practical. A few well placed probing cuts down to about 8inchs on with pull chain yank and out it comes took about 5 minutes

WP_20170120_006.jpg

was a water main plug close but deep as not to bother

WP_20170120_005.jpg

WP_20170120_007.jpg

WP_20170120_008.jpg

Latest posts

Back