Stihl Square File Loops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I just discovered that one of our sponsors, Baileys Chainsaw, now sells Stihl Square File Chain in loops, and their prices are not bad!

Last year when I started using square, I had to buy rolls and have the chain made.

This should make it a lot easier for anyone who wants to try the Stihl square file chain on their saw. Just go to the Baileys website and search "Stihl RSL".

Good Luck!

I ordered 3 of them so it is not a big deal. Likely cheaper than if I could get them at a local dealer, and I don't have to leave home!

Plus, I don't think I got hit with ST.

I'm glad they are available, and they are actually cheaper than when I ordered the 25' rolls, and I can get what I want with no waste (ie, some in .063 and some in .050). Plus, I love the way they cut! A step up from RS IMO.

Never ran square-would like to, just worried I'd kill it at first sharpening. I'm a hand filer but I suppose there is only one way to learn...
Bet it would be pretty fun on a 562 w/ 16" bar. Maybe I'll order a few tonight-and have em in time for GTG.

Get a file or two also. I think it will make that saw rip! With square you file from the outside in (not inside out, like round) and I would check out the threads on this site regarding sharpening it, and the Madsen's Chainsaw website, a lot of good information.

If you like the way the factory Stihl chain runs (and I think you will), the angles for both the top & side plate are 45 degrees.

Madsen's says full chisel is 10-15% faster than semi chisel, and square is 10-15% faster than full chisel.

Doesn't look like I can get a 16" loop...or am I missing something.
3/8 .58 60 drivers is what I need.

Could always get a few 20s I suppose

Jeremy, IMO, you will like the way that RSL cuts even before you touch it!

Last year my 044 had out of the box RSL and on the 362, I filed square the night before the GTG for the first time in my life! I was so scared it would not cut straight!

Latest posts

Back