Stihl Starter Rope Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a broken starter rope on my Stihl 046. How many inches do I need for the replacement rope? is it the same for the 044, and 066? thanks for your help.

Should be the same as a 044 but it will vary with other models depending on the size of the recoil pulley. I usually start with a piece of rope about two feet long and just fill the pulley up, will probably take 15-18 inches.(just a estimate)

The stihl dealer didnt even offer the Elasto so he sold me some bulk stuff. Is it better to use the Elasto starter rope? What are most of you guy using, and why do mine break too soon?

I use the bulk rope and fill the spool up with all I can get on, get some tension on the spring and stick the rope end out the hole and clamp the rope so it doesn't go back in.

Then I thread the handle on the rope and pull out enough for good spring tension - tie the knot in the rope and pot the stater back on the saw. You have to pull out on the handle and jiggle a little to get the starter to seat.

There are different thicknesses of starter rope.

There may be something inside your starter that is cutting the cord?

If the cord gets over the edge of the pulley, it is sure to chafe and break.

Back