stihl USG mounting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedge hog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
just got my USG and will be mounting to the wall.

I need some ideas dust collecting / grindings with a shop vac.

haven't hung it yet waiting on a 24'' x 24'' sheet metal piece to protect the osb wall.

I did get a light mounted in the grinder (led 12 volt ) the will be wired to a plug in transformer that is on
the same switched outlets that the grinder and vac will be plugged into.

any pictures out there?

a4d70d1a0e546228643e2e80a8b4ef4f.jpg
acc47f8d6eb35162d0c5d6b29ab35b22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

108226270f3fdde956fde2a62242c05f.jpg

The switch on the left controls the two outlets that the grinder /led and vac will be plugged into
It a stacked switch and that is the bottom one the top switch turn on the two led spot can light
There 3000K so there kinda yellow but I think the will work

Very nice work on the sharpening station. Looks very well thought out. I am sure it will provide you with excellent service.

I have my grinders mounted to a workbench. . . I also have a stool to sit on while sharpening cutters or adjusting the rakers. For me, it is not a fast process. . .

Nice grinder. I like the light. The wall mount looks good too, as long as you have it at the right height - I have thought about mounting one on heavy duty shelf brackets to make it height adjustable.

Re: the vacuum, are you planning on using a special one for grinders, or a common shop vac? Sparks make me nervous, especially if the vac is used for other stuff.

Grinder Magnet.jpg

Philbert

OP, nice grinder!:clap:

Two things on mounting grinders.

Make at a height where it is at chest level so you aren't bending over unless you are going to be sitting. You want to be able to see what is going on.

You cannot have too much light. I bought a flexible light for each grinder.

I made a bench/table for them.

9l8xax.jpg

2ro26hi.jpg

23sajj9.jpg

2vajqpz.jpg

Nice grinder. I like the light. The wall mount looks good too, as long as you have it at the right height - I have thought about mounting one on heavy duty shelf brackets to make it height adjustable.

Re: the vacuum, are you planning on using a special one for grinders, or a common shop vac? Sparks make me nervous, especially if the vac is used for other stuff.

View attachment 533999

Philbert

My Stihl dealer has his set up with vac for years and like You I figured before long he would have a fire but he uses magnets too.
I will use magnets too and a longer hose on the vac , the dealers is 8' long and mine is 14' long makes me feel a little safer.
His is dedicated to his grinder and mine will be floating around the shop so will have to dump it before I grind.

OP, nice grinder!:clap:

Bad case of GAD grinder aquisition disorder
Two things on mounting grinders.

Make at a height where it is at chest level so you aren't bending over unless you are going to be sitting. You want to be able to see what is going on.

You cannot have too much light. I bought a flexible light for each grinder.

I made a bench/table for them.

9l8xax.jpg

2ro26hi.jpg

23sajj9.jpg

2vajqpz.jpg

That is not all.

Working on converting a cheap Tecomec clone to a Silvey style pawl system, It's a work in progress and still has a few bugs where the geometry of the pawls isn't quite right. The vice on this prototype has solid steel machined rails that can be shimmed + or - .002" depending on what gauge chain. The rails are tripe the thickness of the Silvey rails.

30bg45j.jpg

Latest posts

Back